Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Phenix Leather helmets

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    How big of a department are you with where you guys are issued leathers?
    We're a smaller volunteer/call Department, we have a town pop of roughly 3500 give or take the time of year it may be higher or lower. And we run about 500+ calls a year, with each year seeing a 50+ jump in calls. We also have a College in town, so thats helps...or doesn't help depending on how you look at it.

Leathers haven't been issued to everyone yet, and they're issued at the Chiefs discretion. But I wouldn't doubt in the next 5 years seeing all the tactical Tupperware being replaced with leathers.

As for pictures, I only have this one at the moment. I was trying to be all artsy fartsy about it.

Forum Member

Almost forgot...taking votes on whether or not to change the insert piece on the shield to black with white numbers or leave it like it is. Thoughts?
    The shield looks great. If you want to do the whole FDNY styling with Engine Co.'s being black with white than up to you. I LOVE that Memphis Shield on pg 8 of this blog. black with red lettering and numbers.

Is yours a Sam Brown shield?

Forum Member

Here are some pictures that aren't in the Sepia tone

Forum Member

I have had my Phenix for about 4 months and realy like it so far. A lot of compliments from the guys in station. Too bad all I do is drive since we had a guy out sick on my shift, so I wear it for about 5 seconds going from the gera rack to the engine and than take it off. I have used it a few times for reasons other than holding my jacket on the engine floor and have liked it. The construction quality seems great, the materials durable, sits real nice and low. My only complaint is the ear flaps come too far forward for my liking, but i guess more coverage is safer.
    EngineCo38 that sepia picture is really nice looking, almost makes me want to take a picture of mine like that. But that would require figuring out options on my camera.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MEck51 View Post
    I have had my Phenix for about 4 months and realy like it so far. A lot of compliments from the guys in station. Too bad all I do is drive since we had a guy out sick on my shift, so I wear it for about 5 seconds going from the gera rack to the engine and than take it off. I have used it a few times for reasons other than holding my jacket on the engine floor and have liked it. The construction quality seems great, the materials durable, sits real nice and low. My only complaint is the ear flaps come too far forward for my liking, but i guess more coverage is safer.
    EngineCo38 that sepia picture is really nice looking, almost makes me want to take a picture of mine like that. But that would require figuring out options on my camera.
    Thanks man, yeah the sepia tone is fun to play with when I'm at the station taking pictures. Makes things all moody. And expect to get more compliments on that helmet, I've received many from guys on other local Departments.

When I was first issued mine, we did a cover assignment over in the "city" to help out a career dept with a large festival they had going on. A 15 year vet was checking out my helmet, and fell in love with the thing the second he put it on his head. He's been using the same Cairns N5A since he started, and its pretty much falling apart. Last I heard he ordered a TL2 for himself. They are indeed great helmets, most comfortable one I've worn yet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kiltedfool View Post
    OK bidding ended for the helmet at $355+$25 shipping. Dave at Hand tub Junction was pretty close to that with sewn in ear flaps, post mans slide with quick release and ess goggles,(no shield included in this price) Which will give you that little damn sticker. Hey Mass fire guy,I am a huge Bo sox fan Brother, but I think you are still a little sour that you are one of the only few who Just doesn't like this helmet. There used to be a family owned business in Clifton NJ that made an incredible helmet, great pride in their product and great customer service and were all hand made like the phenix,but they got bought out by a big greedy corporation that just wants to churn out overpriced ,lower quality replicas of a once fine helmet and hide behind the name. Oh by the way I have a 100% positive feedback rating too on EBay,I have sold 3 things, so doesn't go for anything.
    Not sour, just really regret buying the phenix. Just my opinion.

The guy on ebay had a seller rating of 400 something with all nice comments, so I think that he would be somewhat legit. Anyways, if you pay via PAYPAL they put a week on hold on the funds in case of problems.

Best of luck to anyone who grabbed one.

Forum Member

How big of a department are you with where you guys are issued leathers?
    We get them issued up here. Real leathers, though. (uh hum... Cairns)

Forum Member

Talking Real Leather

I tell ya,I originally wanted a cairns N6a really bad, until I got my hands on a brand new one. One of my buddies bought a brand new N6a, brought it to work, it fell out the engineers compartment and a 6 inch chunk of paint came off the rear brim. So as you can imagine just shelling out $600+ for a "true leather", that did not go over so well. I have a real small melon,and even the medium doesn't fit me without the ratchet (yes with the ear flaps tucked in)and I don't want to have to line the inside with a crap load of foam to fill in the gap. I checked his out before the chunk of paint came off and left the big gray patch . the dome sat crooked on the brim and the brim was higher on one side than the other. Also if the best way to make the New Cairns ride lower is to remove all the guts,and once you remove the leather liner and cushion its not that much more substantial than the phenixs. So what is it that you prefer about the cairns. Unless you have one from the mid to late 1980s, it is definitely not a superior product,sorry buddy.

Forum Member

I tell ya,I originally wanted a cairns N6a really bad, until I got my hands on a brand new one. One of my buddies bought a brand new N6a, brought it to work, it fell out the engineers compartment and a 6 inch chunk of paint came off the rear brim. So as you can imagine just shelling out $600+ for a "true leather", that did not go over so well. I have a real small melon,and even the medium doesn't fit me without the ratchet (yes with the ear flaps tucked in)and I don't want to have to line the inside with a crap load of foam to fill in the gap. I checked his out before the chunk of paint came off and left the big gray patch . the dome sat crooked on the brim and the brim was higher on one side than the other. Also if the best way to make the New Cairns ride lower is to remove all the guts,and once you remove the leather liner and cushion its not that much more substantial than the phenixs. So what is it that you prefer about the cairns. Unless you have one from the mid to late 1980s, it is definitely not a superior product,sorry buddy.
    '85. BUT, the new ones can be repainted if you think its so inferior to the old one. Don't think the Phenix doesn't scratch and show leather. All leather helmet do. I'll take a picture of mine if I can find it in my basement. And so what if you get a scratch on your helmet. No one likes a pretty boy. Do you get nervous when you get your gear dirty or permanently marked? How about your boots? Those are costly as well. After 30 years when you retire, if your helmet isn't trashed, marked, and/or chipped to hell, you obviously were not a fireman.

I have said on this thread so many times why I dislike the Phenix. I even explained to a rep on this thread why I do not like them. They didn't even care to help even though it was their helmet falling apart on me. If you want to wear a wide-as* helmet that has its liner failing apart because its cheaply made, thats your choice. You looking silly.

Its OK to get dirty in this job. Your gear is not going to stay perfect forever.

Forum Member

Cool Dirty gear

Quote Originally Posted by MassFireGuy View Post
    '85. BUT, the new ones can be repainted if you think its so inferior to the old one. Don't think the Phenix doesn't scratch and show leather. All leather helmet do. I'll take a picture of mine if I can find it in my basement. And so what if you get a scratch on your helmet. No one likes a pretty boy. Do you get nervous when you get your gear dirty or permanently marked? How about your boots? Those are costly as well. After 30 years when you retire, if your helmet isn't trashed, marked, and/or chipped to hell, you obviously were not a fireman.

I have said on this thread so many times why I dislike the Phenix. I even explained to a rep on this thread why I do not like them. They didn't even care to help even though it was their helmet falling apart on me. If you want to wear a wide-as* helmet that has its liner failing apart because its cheaply made, thats your choice. You looking silly.

Its OK to get dirty in this job. Your gear is not going to stay perfect forever.
    I am on my 3rd set of gear in 6 years, and my second set of leather boots, so i am definitely not a pretty boy,I am rough on my crap. I have talked to the product design guy from the company,and discussed how to beef up the suspension and upgrade the liner/headband cushion to leather,and they have been great. I haven't even bought one yet, but have looked at both a great deal.Your '85 Pre MSA is probably awesome, but these new ones not so much. Oh and it was the first time my buddies helmet had been out the box,so in 15 min of service it was "falling apart". If you purchased a new truck,drove it home and after a speed bump a part fell off, your opinion of quality would change would it not. I commend your product loyalty, but you have a "different cairns", that company doesn't exist anymore Brother, which really sucks for us on the line.Stay safe brother,if you come down for the fools convention in Orlando this Sept, look me up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MassFireGuy View Post

This whole ordeal must have happened in PMs, becuase all that there is in the thread is you saying what you dont like and him responding to you. Then you tell some other guy congrats on buying a piece of junk.

With the overwhelming positive response to the Phenix product, thier awesome interaction with customers on thier Facebook, and the fact that I have had awesome personal expirience with them, I now believe you are just on some quest to talk bad about Phenix.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Default phenix customer service.

I have dealt with Shaun Russel from Phenix quite a bit on im and on the phone, great guy to deal with and he really cares about the customer and product. I was really not trying to change anyone's mind or reinvent the wheel, just trying to make an informed decision on a product. And as far as the TL not being a "real leather", I just Purchased mine from John Simpson One of the Original Founding FOOLS, and he certainly did not share that viewpoint. He certainly would not ruin his good name and reputation on a crappy product. Will post a pic once I get it. Face book did a review on it and a size comparison. Smaller in brim width than the PC by a 1/2 inch and larger than the cairns by 1 inch, that is until you curl up the brim and Bronx bend the back. And it is about an inch + shorter in height to the cairns leather. and 1lb lighter(they weighed it). here is the link. Enjoy
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...570&topic=9448

Forum Member

Post Face book review

OK, here is the review that I mentioned above. Sorry about the crappy attempt at a link. There are also side by side picture comparisons of the Paul Conway, the phenix, and a cairns if you go to Face books leather fire helmet photos.
    Leather Fire Helmets I have a Cairns N5A and have owned a Paul Conway (sold it after getting my Cairns) and do not personally know anyone with a Phenix TL2, so all I knew about them was from the company website, www.phenixfirehelmets.com. I decided to request a demo to check out for myself after reading good comments from Phenix owners on this Leather Fire Helmets fan page, under the discussion "Does anyone own a Phenix TL2?".

I first contacted Phenix Technologies Inc. in early August, with an Email through their website. The Next day I received a phone call from Nicole. She was very helpful and told me about their Family Owned Company founded by 2 Firefighters, her father Ray Russell and his friend Ronny Coleman. I received the helmet in about 4 weeks. I began to examine the Helmet closely as soon as I pulled it out of the box.

Workmanship - The Leather work is great. All the seams are stitched tight with no loose ends.
    Comfort - The Head Harness is comfortable, with a ratchet system for adjustment. Chin strap is good length with Chrome Postman Slide with Leather backing and quick release buckle on opposite side. Cloth interior is soft and comfortable.
    Eagle - Same Eagle as your use to.
    Weight - It definitely feels lighter than the competition, both in my hands and on my head. Everyone who picked it up at the Firehouse, first comment they made was "this is light". Using the U.S.mail scale in the the Firehouse the Phenix is at least 1 lbs lighter than the competition.
    Balance - Very well Balanced
    Height - Taller than the Conway but about 5/8 inch lower profile than the Cairns.
    Width - At its widest point in the brim it is again between the 2 competitors, Conway about 1/2 inch more and Cairns being about 1 inch less . Although if the sides of the Brim were curled up, that would make up that difference.

Photos of the Demo Helmet are posted in the Phenix TL2 album on this fan page

Overall, I think the Phenix is an Excellent helmet. with a very traditional look. Priced reasonably with shield and accessories included. There is also a lot to be said for a Family owned and operated company, that cares about the experience the customer has with the product.

If you are in the Market for a New Leather, it is a large investment so try to try them all on and pick the one that fits you the best.

However,
    I would recommend the Phenix TL2 to anyone in the market for a new Leather.

Leather Forever,
    Trevor
    Leather Fire Helmets Admin

This was an Independent review. I, nor the Leather Fire Helmets fan page is affiliated with Phenix Technologies.

Forum Member

This whole ordeal must have happened in PMs, becuase all that there is in the thread is you saying what you dont like and him responding to you. Then you tell some other guy congrats on buying a piece of junk.

With the overwhelming positive response to the Phenix product, thier awesome interaction with customers on thier Facebook, and the fact that I have had awesome personal expirience with them, I now believe you are just on some quest to talk bad about Phenix.
    Post numbers 307, 338, 260, 178, 48, and 49. Those explain what I do not like about the helmets. There are only a few of you that seem to be upset that I do not like the helmet. Sorry. Imagine the world if people only had one opinion to listen to...

The helmet sucks in my OPINION. I have have stated why. That's alot better than saying they suck and not giving reasons. Judging by this thread, I am not alone in some of my opinions. Sorry I do not feel like you do. There is not personal quest to talk smack. As long as people ask I will tell them how I feel about it. You can tell them how you feel. Then they can make an educated decision. I think that's the whole point, isn't it.

About the interactions with Phenix, you are right. It is not on this thread. I'm sorry for the confusion. I believe it took place VIA email. So, again, I am sorry for the misinformation. I cannot locate the email, I must have deleted it. I gave up on them awhile ago.

Don't try to start an issue because there is none. Good luck with you helmet. I hope you have better luck than me.

Kilttedfool, thanks for the offer. I do not participate in those type of things, but it sounds fun. If you are ever up in the Boston area, let me know. I'll buy you a Sam Adams.

Forum Member

OK, here is the review that I mentioned above. Sorry about the crappy attempt at a link. There are also side by side picture comparisons of the Paul Conway, the phenix, and a cairns if you go to Face books leather fire helmet photos.
    Leather Fire Helmets I have a Cairns N5A and have owned a Paul Conway (sold it after getting my Cairns) and do not personally know anyone with a Phenix TL2, so all I knew about them was from the company website, www.phenixfirehelmets.com. I decided to request a demo to check out for myself after reading good comments from Phenix owners on this Leather Fire Helmets fan page, under the discussion "Does anyone own a Phenix TL2?".

I first contacted Phenix Technologies Inc. in early August, with an Email through their website. The Next day I received a phone call from Nicole. She was very helpful and told me about their Family Owned Company founded by 2 Firefighters, her father Ray Russell and his friend Ronny Coleman. I received the helmet in about 4 weeks. I began to examine the Helmet closely as soon as I pulled it out of the box.

Workmanship - The Leather work is great. All the seams are stitched tight with no loose ends.
    Comfort - The Head Harness is comfortable, with a ratchet system for adjustment. Chin strap is good length with Chrome Postman Slide with Leather backing and quick release buckle on opposite side. Cloth interior is soft and comfortable.
    Eagle - Same Eagle as your use to.
    Weight - It definitely feels lighter than the competition, both in my hands and on my head. Everyone who picked it up at the Firehouse, first comment they made was "this is light". Using the U.S.mail scale in the the Firehouse the Phenix is at least 1 lbs lighter than the competition.
    Balance - Very well Balanced
    Height - Taller than the Conway but about 5/8 inch lower profile than the Cairns.
    Width - At its widest point in the brim it is again between the 2 competitors, Conway about 1/2 inch more and Cairns being about 1 inch less . Although if the sides of the Brim were curled up, that would make up that difference.

Photos of the Demo Helmet are posted in the Phenix TL2 album on this fan page

Overall, I think the Phenix is an Excellent helmet. with a very traditional look. Priced reasonably with shield and accessories included. There is also a lot to be said for a Family owned and operated company, that cares about the experience the customer has with the product.

If you are in the Market for a New Leather, it is a large investment so try to try them all on and pick the one that fits you the best.

However,
    I would recommend the Phenix TL2 to anyone in the market for a new Leather.

Leather Forever,
    Trevor
    Leather Fire Helmets Admin

This was an Independent review. I, nor the Leather Fire Helmets fan page is affiliated with Phenix Technologies.
    Pretty thorough review. Nice job. I will say even though I don't like the helmet I like the custom fillagree work on the Phenix. That's a nice touch

Forum Member

if i'm ordering a shield for phenix tl2 what size should i order?

Forum Member

I don't know why we are so concerned about one guys bad experience. It is like everything else that is mass produced.....there is bound to be a few lemons or defects out there. For the number people that like them and are purchasing them, and for there to be one or two complaints, I think those are pretty good odds. I would have loved to have a pre-MSA New Yorker, but unfortunately, my full-time dept will not allow us to wear leather, and my Vol. dept has to see the NFPA approval, so when you can only choose between the Sam Houston and Phenix, it's a no-brainer. The phenix has the looks, comfort and dependability of the cairns version with a lower price tag.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by led219 View Post
    if i'm ordering a shield for phenix tl2 what size should i order?
    you need a 6 1/4 inch wide body shield. You can order either from Paul Conway, The Fire Store, sam brown, or any custom shield builder.

If you go the PC route than call them and order it. they do not have that specific one on their shield builder. Let them know it is for a leather TL2. You need a taller shield in order for the front to fit inside the eagle holder and the screw posts on the phenix are set a little wider, a typical PC shield is not wide enough to secure on the helmet. At least not on my helmet anyways.

Just my own opinion

Forum Member

thanks. I had looked on the firestore site but when I picked phenix there wasn't a choice for the tl2.

Forum Member

Has anyone tried putting one of Handtub's Boston shields on a TL2? How does it fit?
    The opinions expressed in this post are well-reasoned and insightful. Needless to say, they are not the opinions of the government that I work for.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by led219 View Post
    thanks. I had looked on the firestore site but when I picked phenix there wasn't a choice for the tl2.
    if you go on thefirestore.com website, than choose a helmet like MP Ben II Plus. You will be able to build a 6 1/4" widebody sheild on their website. The fire store sheilds are very nice too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by upstater View Post
    Has anyone tried putting one of Handtub's Boston shields on a TL2? How does it fit?
    Just call Dave (think thats his name) at Handtub Junction. I he is a phenix distributor, and would expect that he has some experience with both items.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KFD94 View Post
    if you go on thefirestore.com website, than choose a helmet like MP Ben II Plus. You will be able to build a 6 1/4" widebody sheild on their website. The fire store sheilds are very nice too.
    Are you certain this shield will fit the Phenix?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Are you certain this shield will fit the Phenix?
    My computer will not open the TFS shield builder, otherwise I could have told you exactly what to buy. When I received my helmet with the Sam Brown shield, I wasnt totally happy with the SB shields so I looked at other options. I ended up calling PC and got the shield I needed but my Squad Captain had a 6 1/4" Wide body shield from TFS and I set it up against the screw posts and it fit with some clearance. Just make sure you order the wide body and not the regular one. The wide body would have the same shape as a FDNY style shield.

Forum Member

Well.... just got another fire job. If I can get a good price on a TL2 I think I'll buy one for the paid gig and keep the one I currently have at the vollie house.

Cant wait to get another!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thread Information