Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Phenix Leather helmets

Forum Member

Forgot price. I originally called Phenix direct and handtub was 30+ $'s cheaper. Chris
    Chris
    FF/Lic-Paramedic
    Galveston FD "The Big House"
    IAFF Local 571
    www.galvestonfiredept.org

Forum Member

I know this doesnt deal with the TL2 but I have an old Cairns from like 72-74 area. I was wondering what all it would take to get it NFPA approved. Its in near perfect condition. An old head gave it to me when i got hired by Houston. When I told him that it would have a special spot on my wall with some other helmets that I have used and visors and such he told me to wear it. I dont think its approved anymore though. Any ideas?
    Last edited by paulokasey; 05-06-2007 at 12:04 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nwvfd93 View Post
    I have the first TL2 in my Dept. It's a nice lid. My biggest concern is that the suspension and head ratchet don't seem as beefy as the Cairns but don't get me wrong, it is standing up just fine. I just wish it was more like the Cairns suspension. Other than that, its a great helmet. I love the soft plyable leather. It has a different shape everytime I throw it on. I haven't had it quit a year yet and the paint is a little worn. For the deal, you can't go wrong. I recommend it. I do believe its true leather, wrapped around some sort of shell.
    I am too considering buying a Phenix, but would like to hear more about this "soft plyable leather": Is the brim actually flimsy, or is it just a softer leather than Cairns'? Also could you elaborate on the suspension being not as beefy as a Cairns? How is it different from the Cairns suspension? Like others, I'm liking what I hear about the Phenix, but it still makes me cringe to spend $500 on a helmet I can't see or try on before I pay for it...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KnightnPBIArmor View Post
    I am too considering buying a Phenix, but would like to hear more about this "soft plyable leather": Is the brim actually flimsy, or is it just a softer leather than Cairns'? Also could you elaborate on the suspension being not as beefy as a Cairns? How is it different from the Cairns suspension? Like others, I'm liking what I hear about the Phenix, but it still makes me cringe to spend $500 on a helmet I can't see or try on before I pay for it...
    The suspension is similar to that of my Paul Conway Classic that I use when I teach in our burn building. While not the absolute best suspension in the world, it is fully adjustable and comfortable to wear.

The leather of the Phenix is flexible/pliable, yet it is still tough and will hold it's shape. It is not soaked in resins like Cairns uses, so it isn't stiff like a Cairns. Therefore, if you decide you want to change the shape of the brim, it can be done with some effort by bending the wire inside with your hands.

I've had mine for a number of weeks now. It's seen several good fires and I am very happy with it. And get this...The paint is still in good shape!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949 View Post
    The suspension is similar to that of my Paul Conway Classic that I use when I teach in our burn building. While not the absolute best suspension in the world, it is fully adjustable and comfortable to wear.

The leather of the Phenix is flexible/pliable, yet it is still tough and will hold it's shape. It is not soaked in resins like Cairns uses, so it isn't stiff like a Cairns. Therefore, if you decide you want to change the shape of the brim, it can be done with some effort by bending the wire inside with your hands.

I've had mine for a number of weeks now. It's seen several good fires and I am very happy with it. And get this...The paint is still in good shape!
    Any chance you have some updated phots of your lid now that is has been used a bit? I know this is a bit wacker, but can the rear brim get the bronx bend or can the sides be curled up? Do you think it would hold shape?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by paulokasey View Post
    I know this doesnt deal with the TL2 but I have an old Cairns from like 72-74 area. I was wondering what all it would take to get it NFPA approved. Its in near perfect condition. An old head gave it to me when i got hired by Houston. When I told him that it would have a special spot on my wall with some other helmets that I have used and visors and such he told me to wear it. I dont think its approved anymore though. Any ideas?
    Old pre-impact cap 5A's can not be brought to today's NFPA standards. That being said, I as well as a few others on my job wear them. I refurbed mine about 6 months ago. The helmet was like new, but needed a new brass front piece and I had to strip and repaint it to our dept colors. Remeber that these are old helmets, but they are in my opinion still pretty safe 9assuming the leather is intact and there are not cracks or major deformities). You have to know when to retire an old leather when it has been too hot too many times. But that goes with any helmet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554 View Post
    Any chance you have some updated phots of your lid now that is has been used a bit? I know this is a bit wacker, but can the rear brim get the bronx bend or can the sides be curled up? Do you think it would hold shape?
    I'll see if I can get a few pics for ya, but it'll be a few days, at best.

Yes. The entire brim can be bent into any shape you want and it will stay until you decide to change it.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

How much has changed over the years with the Phenix helmets? I have one from around '97 - '00 and was wondering if it's the same helmet as the new ones you guys talk about, or if anything has been changed... thanks

Forum Member

What about the Paul Conway leather lid? I understand it has a composite sandwiched between the leather so some might not consider it a "true" leather helmet, but I would think that would help with the impact protection, right? My vollie department currently uses the composite Conway traditional lids and they wear pretty good, so I was wondering about the leather ones too...thoughts?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554 View Post
    ill throw some pics of mine up. its bronxed and curled. "cowboyed"

What about the Paul Conway leather lid? I understand it has a composite sandwiched between the leather so some might not consider it a "true" leather helmet, but I would think that would help with the impact protection, right? My vollie department currently uses the composite Conway traditional lids and they wear pretty good, so I was wondering about the leather ones too...thoughts?

I love my conway leather but it is pretty dang heavy. thats my only complaint. its not bad when your working standing up, but get 'er off balance and it wont be long before your struggling with it. bending overm crawling, operating in a car etc..

Forum Member

Leatherhed, I'm about an hour north of you if you are in Jax; is Jacksonville Fire Equipment still in business, and if so do they or Harrison's carry any of the Conway or Cairns leathers in stock where I could take a peek at them in person and try them on?

Forum Member

Leatherhed, I'm about an hour north of you if you are in Jax; is Jacksonville Fire Equipment still in business, and if so do they or Harrison's carry any of the Conway or Cairns leathers in stock where I could take a peek at them in person and try them on?
    I dont think we have Jax Fire equi[p anymore. the local Conway dealer is Munincipal Fire Equip. If you'd like to try one on they are super cool to deal with.

here is my phenix

Forum Member

Leather, Good looking helmet. Mine is also blackk and should be here in the next 2 weeks. I will post pics as soon as I get it. Chris
    Chris
    FF/Lic-Paramedic
    Galveston FD "The Big House"
    IAFF Local 571
    www.galvestonfiredept.org

Forum Member

I was wearing one when a safe fell on my head outside the Susquehanna Hat Co., on Bagel St. Best investment I ever made.

Shorty

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ubshockey View Post
    I was wearing one when a safe fell on my head outside the Susquehanna Hat Co., on Bagel St. Best investment I ever made.

Shorty
    That sounds like an unsafe situation to be in....sorry I couldn't resist. Glad you are Okay!

Forum Member

Default Helmet shield

Any helmet looks good with a hand-crafted custom shield. Hand made, cut, carved, painted and stitched. Any design possible. Email: boxalarmleather@hotmail.com for pricing.

Forum Member

Default Anclotefire

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrpiper11 View Post
    If you want decent customer service, don't order your leather from Anclotefire out of Florida. I ordered my Phenix TL-2 and he told me (I found out later that this was impossible) that the lid would be shipped in 2 to 3 weeks. I'm in week 5 now waiting for delivery and Anclotefire will not answer my emails. I finally called Phenix Technologies and they said it will be a couple of weeks before the helmet ships. Basically once this guy gets your $500 he won't follow up with any customer service.

On our web site it specifically states:
    This item is a special order item. Please allow 3-4 weeks for delivery. Special order items and associated accessories are NOT returnable.

We've seen delivery in as low as 2 weeks, and some deliveries as long as 6 weeks.

My business was built on customer service. We are all firefighters here too.
    If at any time you do not feel happy with our service, I invite you to contact me directly.

Dale Chappell
    President-Anclote Fire & Safety

Talking really...

The Phenix arrived in 8 1/2 weeks and three of my emails to the company asking for an update were ignored but that's neither here nor there. (hence I ignore my emails referring to the above post.)

On a positive note, for anyone thinking of ordering a 1500 TL-2, the helmet itself is a work of art. The guys waiting to see mine all agreed that the pics didn't do the lid justice. The scrollwork is beautiful and the suspension system comfortable. The shield was also of high quality which was a concern since the pics on the website made the shield look thin.

Nice job Phenix!

Forum Member

What brand front shields is everyone using? I've read comments that the stock phenix shield is thin and not very durable and to buy from someone else. So, where is yours from and what size shield fits? I've just picked up a TL2 and I'm looking for a nice front. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've been looking at getting a TL2 but I would like to see some more pictures (a picture of looking at the top of the helmet would be nice). I am having a tough time spending 400+ bucks on something I haven't seen in real life or tried out.

I am also curious what shields everyone is using on these helmets, the ones that are shown on their web site look flimsy.
    Last edited by Golzy12; 11-26-2007 at 01:57 PM.

Forum Member

I guess I am going to go against the grain on this one and say that I really wasn't that impressed with the Phenix helmet. I went to a store in Nashville where they had one left from a few years back and it to me wouldn't even begin to compare to my N6A. It seemed to be made out of cheap materials and the only one they had left was a yellow one and the leather was wrinkled very badly. I liked the idea about being abel to bend it to the way you like but it just seemed like a kids toy helmet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Golzy12 View Post
    I've been looking at getting a TL2 but I would like to see some more pictures (a picture of looking at the top of the helmet would be nice). I am having a tough time spending 400+ bucks on something I haven't seen in real life or tried out.

I am also curious what shields everyone is using on these helmets, the ones that are shown on their web site look flimsy.

Where I bought mine (Handtub Junction), the owner stated he would give me a 100% refund if I was at all dissatisfied with the helmet.

Needles to say, I did not even consider returning it.

I ordered my lid with Bourkes. They seem to be of similar quality to all the others I have had over the years. No complaints.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

I had a TL2 before my Cairns N5A. I think the TL2 looks nice, but... It is big, it sat to high on my head. and the leather is so soft so it damages really easily. I love my Cairns.

Forum Member

One more thing about the Phenix leather. The leather is so soft it gets wrinkles in it. The leather will almost tear. My was ruined after about 6 months worth of work. They just don't hold up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MassFireGuy View Post
    One more thing about the Phenix leather. The leather is so soft it gets wrinkles in it. The leather will almost tear. My was ruined after about 6 months worth of work. They just don't hold up.
    A lot of guys on my FD bought the Phenix TL2's and love them.

As for Cairns, their leather lid quality has gone downhill...

I have one of the last N5A's made before MSA took over.

A fellow Deputy bought a new N5A that had chips in the paint right out of the box... the inner liner and impact cap assembly was also screwed up to the point that it had to be worn cocked to the left. it seems that quality control took the day off the day that lid was put together.

He returned it and repainted his Cairns 1010.

I have a Paul Conway shield on my lid...
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 11-26-2007 at 05:40 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information