Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 700
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Phenix Leather helmets

  1. #21
    Forum Member TC33FF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Galveston TX
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Haven't heard one bad thing about them yet. Everyone seems happy with them and they look pretty close to the cairns and lighter and cheaper than cairns. My next one will be the TL2. Chris


  2. #22

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3

    Angry Anclote Fire

    If you want decent customer service, don't order your leather from Anclotefire out of Florida. I ordered my Phenix TL-2 and he told me (I found out later that this was impossible) that the lid would be shipped in 2 to 3 weeks. I'm in week 5 now waiting for delivery and Anclotefire will not answer my emails. I finally called Phenix Technologies and they said it will be a couple of weeks before the helmet ships. Basically once this guy gets your $500 he won't follow up with any customer service.

  3. #23
    Forum Member TC33FF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Galveston TX
    Posts
    220

    Default

    I ordered mine from handtunjunction.com on Apr. 10th and he told me 4-6 weeks average on delivery. Shortest he ever had was 2 weeks but only once. They are still truley hand made and made to order unlike the Cairns has gotten. Sorry to hear about bad service . Handtub has been excelent with me and always answered everything I needed. Chris
    Chris
    FF/Lic-Paramedic
    Galveston FD "The Big House"
    IAFF Local 571
    www.galvestonfiredept.org

  4. #24
    Forum Member fireman4949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Posts
    2,323

    Default

    I'll second the great customer service (and price) from Handtub Junction!




    Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

  5. #25

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3

    Smile Thanks

    Thanks Chris and Kevin. I've got several guys who want to see the TL-2 when it arrives. If they're interested in buying one I'll direct them to handtubjunction.

  6. #26
    Forum Member TC33FF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Galveston TX
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Forgot price. I originally called Phenix direct and handtub was 30+ $'s cheaper. Chris
    Chris
    FF/Lic-Paramedic
    Galveston FD "The Big House"
    IAFF Local 571
    www.galvestonfiredept.org

  7. #27
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    46

    Default

    I know this doesnt deal with the TL2 but I have an old Cairns from like 72-74 area. I was wondering what all it would take to get it NFPA approved. Its in near perfect condition. An old head gave it to me when i got hired by Houston. When I told him that it would have a special spot on my wall with some other helmets that I have used and visors and such he told me to wear it. I dont think its approved anymore though. Any ideas?
    Last edited by paulokasey; 05-06-2007 at 12:04 PM.

  8. #28
    Forum Member KnightnPBIArmor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Beautiful downtown Hortense, GA
    Posts
    745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nwvfd93 View Post
    I have the first TL2 in my Dept. It's a nice lid. My biggest concern is that the suspension and head ratchet don't seem as beefy as the Cairns but don't get me wrong, it is standing up just fine. I just wish it was more like the Cairns suspension. Other than that, its a great helmet. I love the soft plyable leather. It has a different shape everytime I throw it on. I haven't had it quit a year yet and the paint is a little worn. For the deal, you can't go wrong. I recommend it. I do believe its true leather, wrapped around some sort of shell.
    I am too considering buying a Phenix, but would like to hear more about this "soft plyable leather": Is the brim actually flimsy, or is it just a softer leather than Cairns'? Also could you elaborate on the suspension being not as beefy as a Cairns? How is it different from the Cairns suspension? Like others, I'm liking what I hear about the Phenix, but it still makes me cringe to spend $500 on a helmet I can't see or try on before I pay for it...

  9. #29
    Forum Member fireman4949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Posts
    2,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KnightnPBIArmor View Post
    I am too considering buying a Phenix, but would like to hear more about this "soft plyable leather": Is the brim actually flimsy, or is it just a softer leather than Cairns'? Also could you elaborate on the suspension being not as beefy as a Cairns? How is it different from the Cairns suspension? Like others, I'm liking what I hear about the Phenix, but it still makes me cringe to spend $500 on a helmet I can't see or try on before I pay for it...
    The suspension is similar to that of my Paul Conway Classic that I use when I teach in our burn building. While not the absolute best suspension in the world, it is fully adjustable and comfortable to wear.

    The leather of the Phenix is flexible/pliable, yet it is still tough and will hold it's shape. It is not soaked in resins like Cairns uses, so it isn't stiff like a Cairns. Therefore, if you decide you want to change the shape of the brim, it can be done with some effort by bending the wire inside with your hands.

    I've had mine for a number of weeks now. It's seen several good fires and I am very happy with it. And get this...The paint is still in good shape!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

  10. #30
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Posts
    933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949 View Post
    The suspension is similar to that of my Paul Conway Classic that I use when I teach in our burn building. While not the absolute best suspension in the world, it is fully adjustable and comfortable to wear.

    The leather of the Phenix is flexible/pliable, yet it is still tough and will hold it's shape. It is not soaked in resins like Cairns uses, so it isn't stiff like a Cairns. Therefore, if you decide you want to change the shape of the brim, it can be done with some effort by bending the wire inside with your hands.

    I've had mine for a number of weeks now. It's seen several good fires and I am very happy with it. And get this...The paint is still in good shape!
    Any chance you have some updated phots of your lid now that is has been used a bit? I know this is a bit wacker, but can the rear brim get the bronx bend or can the sides be curled up? Do you think it would hold shape?

  11. #31
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Posts
    933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulokasey View Post
    I know this doesnt deal with the TL2 but I have an old Cairns from like 72-74 area. I was wondering what all it would take to get it NFPA approved. Its in near perfect condition. An old head gave it to me when i got hired by Houston. When I told him that it would have a special spot on my wall with some other helmets that I have used and visors and such he told me to wear it. I dont think its approved anymore though. Any ideas?
    Old pre-impact cap 5A's can not be brought to today's NFPA standards. That being said, I as well as a few others on my job wear them. I refurbed mine about 6 months ago. The helmet was like new, but needed a new brass front piece and I had to strip and repaint it to our dept colors. Remeber that these are old helmets, but they are in my opinion still pretty safe 9assuming the leather is intact and there are not cracks or major deformities). You have to know when to retire an old leather when it has been too hot too many times. But that goes with any helmet.

  12. #32
    Forum Member fireman4949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Posts
    2,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554 View Post
    Any chance you have some updated phots of your lid now that is has been used a bit? I know this is a bit wacker, but can the rear brim get the bronx bend or can the sides be curled up? Do you think it would hold shape?
    I'll see if I can get a few pics for ya, but it'll be a few days, at best.

    Yes. The entire brim can be bent into any shape you want and it will stay until you decide to change it.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

  13. #33
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    All over the east coast
    Posts
    250

    Default

    How much has changed over the years with the Phenix helmets? I have one from around '97 - '00 and was wondering if it's the same helmet as the new ones you guys talk about, or if anything has been changed... thanks

  14. #34
    Forum Member KnightnPBIArmor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Beautiful downtown Hortense, GA
    Posts
    745

    Default

    What about the Paul Conway leather lid? I understand it has a composite sandwiched between the leather so some might not consider it a "true" leather helmet, but I would think that would help with the impact protection, right? My vollie department currently uses the composite Conway traditional lids and they wear pretty good, so I was wondering about the leather ones too...thoughts?

  15. #35
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Jacksonville Fl
    Posts
    507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554 View Post
    Any chance you have some updated phots of your lid now that is has been used a bit? I know this is a bit wacker, but can the rear brim get the bronx bend or can the sides be curled up? Do you think it would hold shape?
    ill throw some pics of mine up. its bronxed and curled. "cowboyed"

    Quote Originally Posted by KnightnPBIArmor View Post
    What about the Paul Conway leather lid? I understand it has a composite sandwiched between the leather so some might not consider it a "true" leather helmet, but I would think that would help with the impact protection, right? My vollie department currently uses the composite Conway traditional lids and they wear pretty good, so I was wondering about the leather ones too...thoughts?

    I love my conway leather but it is pretty dang heavy. thats my only complaint. its not bad when your working standing up, but get 'er off balance and it wont be long before your struggling with it. bending overm crawling, operating in a car etc..

  16. #36
    Forum Member KnightnPBIArmor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Beautiful downtown Hortense, GA
    Posts
    745

    Default

    Leatherhed, I'm about an hour north of you if you are in Jax; is Jacksonville Fire Equipment still in business, and if so do they or Harrison's carry any of the Conway or Cairns leathers in stock where I could take a peek at them in person and try them on?

  17. #37
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Jacksonville Fl
    Posts
    507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KnightnPBIArmor View Post
    Leatherhed, I'm about an hour north of you if you are in Jax; is Jacksonville Fire Equipment still in business, and if so do they or Harrison's carry any of the Conway or Cairns leathers in stock where I could take a peek at them in person and try them on?
    I dont think we have Jax Fire equi[p anymore. the local Conway dealer is Munincipal Fire Equip. If you'd like to try one on they are super cool to deal with.

    here is my phenix




  18. #38
    Forum Member TC33FF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Galveston TX
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Leather, Good looking helmet. Mine is also blackk and should be here in the next 2 weeks. I will post pics as soon as I get it. Chris
    Chris
    FF/Lic-Paramedic
    Galveston FD "The Big House"
    IAFF Local 571
    www.galvestonfiredept.org

  19. #39
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    49

    Default

    I was wearing one when a safe fell on my head outside the Susquehanna Hat Co., on Bagel St. Best investment I ever made.

    Shorty

  20. #40
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Posts
    933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ubshockey View Post
    I was wearing one when a safe fell on my head outside the Susquehanna Hat Co., on Bagel St. Best investment I ever made.

    Shorty
    That sounds like an unsafe situation to be in....sorry I couldn't resist. Glad you are Okay!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. phenix leather helmets
    By tailboardrider in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-10-2006, 07:22 PM
  2. do leather helmets pass impact tests better than non-leathers ones?
    By HeavyRescueTech in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 119
    Last Post: 04-21-2006, 11:23 AM
  3. Phenix Leather Helmets
    By flyingsquirrel in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-03-2005, 07:30 PM
  4. diffrent leather fire helmets?
    By tailboardrider in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-19-2005, 11:00 AM
  5. Other Leather Helmets
    By leatha4eva in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-08-2002, 06:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts