Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Phenix Leather helmets

Forum Member

I like the ratchet just because its easier to adjust when I need to adjust it quickly. Not a big fan of the nape mainly because I have a big head and the sizes differ when i throw on my reed hood.

Forum Member

Thanks for the reply, was leaning towards the ratchet system.

Forum Member

Well the wife gave me the go-ahead to order my TL2 for my bday! I had everything lined up to buy a yellow TL2 from Dave at Handtub Junction even gave him my payment and shipping info but I haven't heard anything from him for the last 3 days, no emails, no returned phone calls, no payment confirmation. Dave was really quick to respond to questions in earlier correspondence; A really great guy to deal with. Hope he is ok.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by AFD5806 View Post
    Well the wife gave me the go-ahead to order my TL2 for my bday! I had everything lined up to buy a yellow TL2 from Dave at Handtub Junction even gave him my payment and shipping info but I haven't heard anything from him for the last 3 days, no emails, no returned phone calls, no payment confirmation. Dave was really quick to respond to questions in earlier correspondence; A really great guy to deal with. Hope he is ok.
    You are experiencing "buyers anxiety" .. The inability to patiently wait for that email confirming the order .. or the pesky big brown truck to finally arrive with the goods

Forum Member

That may be true!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 8truckie3 View Post
    How long does it take too recieve the helmet after the order is placed? Thanks
    Does anyone know where you can get a TL2 with the deluxe leather interior upgrade, I can't any places that offer it as an option online?

Forum Member

If you are wanting to order the helmet with the deluxe leather comfort package I would suggest contacting David at HandTubJunction. Mine just shipped out earlier today, and he is great to deal with. He is an authorized dealer and can order it with your helmet. Or thefirestore.com sells it as well.

www.handtubs.com

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/ca...s_accessories/

Forum Member

Default Phenix tl-2 at firestore.com

Anybody have any experience with ordering a tl-2 from thefirestore.com? They said they could get it within 2-3 weeks and most other places are quoting 4-6 weeks. Not to bad on the price: $421.00 with bourkes. I also emailed handtubjunction and it'll be around $400 but Im not sure of the timeframe of when I'd get my helmet. Any help would be appreciated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtvfr6 View Post
    Anybody have any experience with ordering a tl-2 from thefirestore.com? They said they could get it within 2-3 weeks and most other places are quoting 4-6 weeks. Not to bad on the price: $421.00 with bourkes. I also emailed handtubjunction and it'll be around $400 but Im not sure of the timeframe of when I'd get my helmet. Any help would be appreciated.
    Cant say for sure of TFS but I loved going through HTJ. Dave is great and I had my helmet in 1 business week.
    "It's a living thing brian..."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by truckedup133 View Post
    Cant say for sure of TFS but I loved going through HTJ. Dave is great and I had my helmet in 1 business week.

Wow thats not bad at all. Did you get a sam brown shield that came with yours or did you order a seperate one?

Forum Member

Wow thats not bad at all. Did you get a sam brown shield that came with yours or did you order a seperate one?
    Uhhh....actually neither. I returned it and got a N6a. Department wording of general order prevented me from wearing it. Long story, not worth retelling.

Forum Member

Get with Jason at JB Rescue. He will beat both those prices.

Uhhh....actually neither. I returned it and got a N6a. Department wording of general order prevented me from wearing it. Long story, not worth retelling.
    Please do tell. Some of us are interested.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Get with Jason at JB Rescue. He will beat both those prices.

Please do tell. Some of us are interested.
    Well basically, when the general orders were written it said (paraphrasing from memory) "if a career member should so choose to wear a fire helmet other than the one that is provided for them (the 1044) any helmet that follows the traditional style and is current and conforming to all NFPA standards and regulations will be acceptable. In the instance that a firefighter should choose a leather fire helmet alternative, that helmet should be the Cairns Leather N6a as it is fully NFPA compliant."

So I took it up my chain and got to our quartermaster chief who I explained the helmet to, showed him its specs and proved its NFPA approval. He was like "sweet order it." So car 1 basically is standing in the room when I opened the Phenix and he was like....."oh dude.......I dont think you can wear that." Basically, since the GO mentioned the N6a in specifics, that is the only leather allowed. Just because of the wording. My chief isnt stuck up and super in charge and he felt real bad, but rules are rules and if sh*t hits the fan, I dont want my wife to miss out on some insurance monies because of a legality.

So like I said, long story. Now I have a N6a and wouldnt trade it for the world. BUT I did like the Phenix. And my chief said that in the next re-writing of the GO's he would just put a quick fix to that.

Clear as mud?

Forum Member

In the instance that a firefighter should choose a leather fire helmet alternative, that helmet should be the Cairns Leather N6a as it is fully NFPA compliant."
    To be totally honest, the way it is written and interpreted are not the same thing. Should is a recommendation only. Shall or must is a requirement. Enjoy your leather lid. Stay safe. Just be aware that you were good to go with the Phenix based on what you are saying the standard says.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    To be totally honest, the way it is written and interpreted are not the same thing. Should is a recommendation only. Shall or must is a requirement. Enjoy your leather lid. Stay safe. Just be aware that you were good to go with the Phenix based on what you are saying the standard says.
    Yea, like I said I was paraphrasing from what I could remember from the text. But it prevented me from using it. Not a huge deal to me, I have a Houston now which is what most all of my dept has....so its really whatever. The lesson to be learned here was that HTJ allowed me to return it no questions asked and was a dream to work with. Kudos to HTJ.

Forum Member

so i have been thinking of getting a TL2. i run in 2 small volunteer houses. i have a N5A that i took the ratchet and crown pad out of, i love the way it fit but and starting to feel bad that i removed them. i am thinking of replacing it with the phenix due to the fact i cant really remove anything lol. thoughts and comments are welcomed! some other guys in the department have cairns lids that have some componets removed so having the N5A issnt an issue in the department

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NWFD27 View Post
    so i have been thinking of getting a TL2. i run in 2 small volunteer houses. i have a N5A that i took the ratchet and crown pad out of, i love the way it fit but and starting to feel bad that i removed them. i am thinking of replacing it with the phenix due to the fact i cant really remove anything lol. thoughts and comments are welcomed! some other guys in the department have cairns lids that have some componets removed so having the N5A issnt an issue in the department
    I am not bad mouthing Phenix in any way, shape or form, but if you want a helmet that fits like a Cairns, the Phenix isn't it. Get another Cairns.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

ive tried a TL2 on before, i think im more concerned that i removed my ratchet and crown pad mostly. maybe sending the helmet back to cairns would be the better option rather than buying the TL2 as a replacement helmet

Forum Member

ive tried a TL2 on before, i think im more concerned that i removed my ratchet and crown pad mostly. maybe sending the helmet back to cairns would be the better option rather than buying the TL2 as a replacement helmet
    Why the concern? If its more comfortable then go with it. I kept the ratchet, tossed the crown pad. Who cares. Stick with what you like.

Forum Member

your right. i guess it really dosent matter lol. i just dont want anything to happen and it come back to haunt me later ya no? im sure a ton of guys remove ratchets, and crown pads on a daily basis, it just sucks that the things that are removed make it not OSHA or NFPA in the N6as case

Forum Member

your right. i guess it really dosent matter lol. i just dont want anything to happen and it come back to haunt me later ya no? im sure a ton of guys remove ratchets, and crown pads on a daily basis, it just sucks that the things that are removed make it not OSHA or NFPA in the N6as case
    If I could get away with wearing a 5a I would...never in my 20 years have I ever thought, "Gee...I really glad that impact cap is wedged in my helmet."
    FTM - BTB - KTF

Forum Member

Got my Phenix helmet in 3 weeks....exactly when Jason said it would be here. If you need a TL2, Jason @ JBRescue is your man

Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Forum Member

Check out this TL-2 Phenix is donating to National Fallen Firefighters Stop Drop and Rock and Roll Auction March 24 During FDIC

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/...FFDonation.jpg

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know if the Phenix Is lighter the the N5a?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by giweff View Post
    Does anyone know if the Phenix Is lighter the the N5a?
    Yes it is.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Thread Information