Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Phenix Leather helmets

  1. #576
    Forum Member
    76Truck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Katy,Tx
    Posts
    67

    Default

    I like the ratchet just because its easier to adjust when I need to adjust it quickly. Not a big fan of the nape mainly because I have a big head and the sizes differ when i throw on my reed hood.

  2. #577
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Thanks for the reply, was leaning towards the ratchet system.

  3. #578
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Well the wife gave me the go-ahead to order my TL2 for my bday! I had everything lined up to buy a yellow TL2 from Dave at Handtub Junction even gave him my payment and shipping info but I haven't heard anything from him for the last 3 days, no emails, no returned phone calls, no payment confirmation. Dave was really quick to respond to questions in earlier correspondence; A really great guy to deal with. Hope he is ok.

  4. #579
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Posts
    82

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by AFD5806 View Post
    Well the wife gave me the go-ahead to order my TL2 for my bday! I had everything lined up to buy a yellow TL2 from Dave at Handtub Junction even gave him my payment and shipping info but I haven't heard anything from him for the last 3 days, no emails, no returned phone calls, no payment confirmation. Dave was really quick to respond to questions in earlier correspondence; A really great guy to deal with. Hope he is ok.
    You are experiencing "buyers anxiety" .. The inability to patiently wait for that email confirming the order .. or the pesky big brown truck to finally arrive with the goods

  5. #580
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    23

    Default

    That may be true!

  6. #581
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 8truckie3 View Post
    How long does it take too recieve the helmet after the order is placed? Thanks
    Does anyone know where you can get a TL2 with the deluxe leather interior upgrade, I can't any places that offer it as an option online?

  7. #582
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    23

    Default

    If you are wanting to order the helmet with the deluxe leather comfort package I would suggest contacting David at HandTubJunction. Mine just shipped out earlier today, and he is great to deal with. He is an authorized dealer and can order it with your helmet. Or thefirestore.com sells it as well.


    www.handtubs.com


    http://www.thefirestore.com/store/ca...s_accessories/

  8. #583
    Forum Member
    mtvfr6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    40

    Default Phenix tl-2 at firestore.com

    Anybody have any experience with ordering a tl-2 from thefirestore.com? They said they could get it within 2-3 weeks and most other places are quoting 4-6 weeks. Not to bad on the price: $421.00 with bourkes. I also emailed handtubjunction and it'll be around $400 but Im not sure of the timeframe of when I'd get my helmet. Any help would be appreciated.

  9. #584
    Forum Member
    truckedup133's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtvfr6 View Post
    Anybody have any experience with ordering a tl-2 from thefirestore.com? They said they could get it within 2-3 weeks and most other places are quoting 4-6 weeks. Not to bad on the price: $421.00 with bourkes. I also emailed handtubjunction and it'll be around $400 but Im not sure of the timeframe of when I'd get my helmet. Any help would be appreciated.
    Cant say for sure of TFS but I loved going through HTJ. Dave is great and I had my helmet in 1 business week.
    "It's a living thing brian..."

  10. #585
    Forum Member
    mtvfr6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by truckedup133 View Post
    Cant say for sure of TFS but I loved going through HTJ. Dave is great and I had my helmet in 1 business week.

    Wow thats not bad at all. Did you get a sam brown shield that came with yours or did you order a seperate one?

  11. #586
    Forum Member
    truckedup133's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtvfr6 View Post
    Wow thats not bad at all. Did you get a sam brown shield that came with yours or did you order a seperate one?
    Uhhh....actually neither. I returned it and got a N6a. Department wording of general order prevented me from wearing it. Long story, not worth retelling.
    "It's a living thing brian..."

  12. #587
    Forum Member
    GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtvfr6 View Post
    Anybody have any experience with ordering a tl-2 from thefirestore.com? They said they could get it within 2-3 weeks and most other places are quoting 4-6 weeks. Not to bad on the price: $421.00 with bourkes. I also emailed handtubjunction and it'll be around $400 but Im not sure of the timeframe of when I'd get my helmet. Any help would be appreciated.
    Get with Jason at JB Rescue. He will beat both those prices.

    Quote Originally Posted by truckedup133 View Post
    Uhhh....actually neither. I returned it and got a N6a. Department wording of general order prevented me from wearing it. Long story, not worth retelling.
    Please do tell. Some of us are interested.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  13. #588
    Forum Member
    truckedup133's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    131

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Get with Jason at JB Rescue. He will beat both those prices.



    Please do tell. Some of us are interested.
    Well basically, when the general orders were written it said (paraphrasing from memory) "if a career member should so choose to wear a fire helmet other than the one that is provided for them (the 1044) any helmet that follows the traditional style and is current and conforming to all NFPA standards and regulations will be acceptable. In the instance that a firefighter should choose a leather fire helmet alternative, that helmet should be the Cairns Leather N6a as it is fully NFPA compliant."

    So I took it up my chain and got to our quartermaster chief who I explained the helmet to, showed him its specs and proved its NFPA approval. He was like "sweet order it." So car 1 basically is standing in the room when I opened the Phenix and he was like....."oh dude.......I dont think you can wear that." Basically, since the GO mentioned the N6a in specifics, that is the only leather allowed. Just because of the wording. My chief isnt stuck up and super in charge and he felt real bad, but rules are rules and if sh*t hits the fan, I dont want my wife to miss out on some insurance monies because of a legality.

    So like I said, long story. Now I have a N6a and wouldnt trade it for the world. BUT I did like the Phenix. And my chief said that in the next re-writing of the GO's he would just put a quick fix to that.

    Clear as mud?
    "It's a living thing brian..."

  14. #589
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    N. Ridgeville, Ohio
    Posts
    811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by truckedup133 View Post
    In the instance that a firefighter should choose a leather fire helmet alternative, that helmet should be the Cairns Leather N6a as it is fully NFPA compliant."
    To be totally honest, the way it is written and interpreted are not the same thing. Should is a recommendation only. Shall or must is a requirement. Enjoy your leather lid. Stay safe. Just be aware that you were good to go with the Phenix based on what you are saying the standard says.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

  15. #590
    Forum Member
    truckedup133's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    To be totally honest, the way it is written and interpreted are not the same thing. Should is a recommendation only. Shall or must is a requirement. Enjoy your leather lid. Stay safe. Just be aware that you were good to go with the Phenix based on what you are saying the standard says.
    Yea, like I said I was paraphrasing from what I could remember from the text. But it prevented me from using it. Not a huge deal to me, I have a Houston now which is what most all of my dept has....so its really whatever. The lesson to be learned here was that HTJ allowed me to return it no questions asked and was a dream to work with. Kudos to HTJ.
    "It's a living thing brian..."

  16. #591
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4

    Default

    so i have been thinking of getting a TL2. i run in 2 small volunteer houses. i have a N5A that i took the ratchet and crown pad out of, i love the way it fit but and starting to feel bad that i removed them. i am thinking of replacing it with the phenix due to the fact i cant really remove anything lol. thoughts and comments are welcomed! some other guys in the department have cairns lids that have some componets removed so having the N5A issnt an issue in the department

  17. #592
    Forum Member
    GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NWFD27 View Post
    so i have been thinking of getting a TL2. i run in 2 small volunteer houses. i have a N5A that i took the ratchet and crown pad out of, i love the way it fit but and starting to feel bad that i removed them. i am thinking of replacing it with the phenix due to the fact i cant really remove anything lol. thoughts and comments are welcomed! some other guys in the department have cairns lids that have some componets removed so having the N5A issnt an issue in the department
    I am not bad mouthing Phenix in any way, shape or form, but if you want a helmet that fits like a Cairns, the Phenix isn't it. Get another Cairns.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  18. #593
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4

    Default

    ive tried a TL2 on before, i think im more concerned that i removed my ratchet and crown pad mostly. maybe sending the helmet back to cairns would be the better option rather than buying the TL2 as a replacement helmet

  19. #594
    Forum Member
    truckedup133's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NWFD27 View Post
    ive tried a TL2 on before, i think im more concerned that i removed my ratchet and crown pad mostly. maybe sending the helmet back to cairns would be the better option rather than buying the TL2 as a replacement helmet
    Why the concern? If its more comfortable then go with it. I kept the ratchet, tossed the crown pad. Who cares. Stick with what you like.
    "It's a living thing brian..."

  20. #595
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4

    Default

    your right. i guess it really dosent matter lol. i just dont want anything to happen and it come back to haunt me later ya no? im sure a ton of guys remove ratchets, and crown pads on a daily basis, it just sucks that the things that are removed make it not OSHA or NFPA in the N6as case

  21. #596
    Forum Member
    NY911Bowhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Dutchess County, NY
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NWFD27 View Post
    your right. i guess it really dosent matter lol. i just dont want anything to happen and it come back to haunt me later ya no? im sure a ton of guys remove ratchets, and crown pads on a daily basis, it just sucks that the things that are removed make it not OSHA or NFPA in the N6as case
    If I could get away with wearing a 5a I would...never in my 20 years have I ever thought, "Gee...I really glad that impact cap is wedged in my helmet."
    FTM - BTB - KTF

  22. #597
    Forum Member
    Frmboybuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Cornfields
    Posts
    524

    Default

    Got my Phenix helmet in 3 weeks....exactly when Jason said it would be here. If you need a TL2, Jason @ JBRescue is your man

    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

  23. #598
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Phenix Technology Inc.
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Check out this TL-2 Phenix is donating to National Fallen Firefighters Stop Drop and Rock and Roll Auction March 24 During FDIC

    http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/...FFDonation.jpg

  24. #599
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St. Louis City Mo
    Posts
    382

    Default

    Does anyone know if the Phenix Is lighter the the N5a?

  25. #600
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    N. Ridgeville, Ohio
    Posts
    811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by giweff View Post
    Does anyone know if the Phenix Is lighter the the N5a?
    Yes it is.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. phenix leather helmets
    By tailboardrider in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-10-2006, 07:22 PM
  2. do leather helmets pass impact tests better than non-leathers ones?
    By HeavyRescueTech in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 119
    Last Post: 04-21-2006, 11:23 AM
  3. Phenix Leather Helmets
    By flyingsquirrel in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-03-2005, 07:30 PM
  4. diffrent leather fire helmets?
    By tailboardrider in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-19-2005, 11:00 AM
  5. Other Leather Helmets
    By leatha4eva in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-08-2002, 06:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register