Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Phenix Leather helmets

Forum Member

Default Helmet shield

Any helmet looks good with a hand-crafted custom shield. Hand made, cut, carved, painted and stitched. Any design possible. Email: boxalarmleather@hotmail.com for pricing.

Forum Member

Default Anclotefire

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrpiper11 View Post
    If you want decent customer service, don't order your leather from Anclotefire out of Florida. I ordered my Phenix TL-2 and he told me (I found out later that this was impossible) that the lid would be shipped in 2 to 3 weeks. I'm in week 5 now waiting for delivery and Anclotefire will not answer my emails. I finally called Phenix Technologies and they said it will be a couple of weeks before the helmet ships. Basically once this guy gets your $500 he won't follow up with any customer service.

On our web site it specifically states:
    This item is a special order item. Please allow 3-4 weeks for delivery. Special order items and associated accessories are NOT returnable.

We've seen delivery in as low as 2 weeks, and some deliveries as long as 6 weeks.

My business was built on customer service. We are all firefighters here too.
    If at any time you do not feel happy with our service, I invite you to contact me directly.

Dale Chappell
    President-Anclote Fire & Safety

Talking really...

The Phenix arrived in 8 1/2 weeks and three of my emails to the company asking for an update were ignored but that's neither here nor there. (hence I ignore my emails referring to the above post.)

On a positive note, for anyone thinking of ordering a 1500 TL-2, the helmet itself is a work of art. The guys waiting to see mine all agreed that the pics didn't do the lid justice. The scrollwork is beautiful and the suspension system comfortable. The shield was also of high quality which was a concern since the pics on the website made the shield look thin.

Nice job Phenix!

What brand front shields is everyone using? I've read comments that the stock phenix shield is thin and not very durable and to buy from someone else. So, where is yours from and what size shield fits? I've just picked up a TL2 and I'm looking for a nice front. Thanks.

I've been looking at getting a TL2 but I would like to see some more pictures (a picture of looking at the top of the helmet would be nice). I am having a tough time spending 400+ bucks on something I haven't seen in real life or tried out.

I am also curious what shields everyone is using on these helmets, the ones that are shown on their web site look flimsy.
    Last edited by Golzy12; 11-26-2007 at 01:57 PM.

Forum Member

I guess I am going to go against the grain on this one and say that I really wasn't that impressed with the Phenix helmet. I went to a store in Nashville where they had one left from a few years back and it to me wouldn't even begin to compare to my N6A. It seemed to be made out of cheap materials and the only one they had left was a yellow one and the leather was wrinkled very badly. I liked the idea about being abel to bend it to the way you like but it just seemed like a kids toy helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Golzy12 View Post
    I've been looking at getting a TL2 but I would like to see some more pictures (a picture of looking at the top of the helmet would be nice). I am having a tough time spending 400+ bucks on something I haven't seen in real life or tried out.

I am also curious what shields everyone is using on these helmets, the ones that are shown on their web site look flimsy.

Where I bought mine (Handtub Junction), the owner stated he would give me a 100% refund if I was at all dissatisfied with the helmet.

Needles to say, I did not even consider returning it.

I ordered my lid with Bourkes. They seem to be of similar quality to all the others I have had over the years. No complaints.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

I had a TL2 before my Cairns N5A. I think the TL2 looks nice, but... It is big, it sat to high on my head. and the leather is so soft so it damages really easily. I love my Cairns.

One more thing about the Phenix leather. The leather is so soft it gets wrinkles in it. The leather will almost tear. My was ruined after about 6 months worth of work. They just don't hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by MassFireGuy View Post
    One more thing about the Phenix leather. The leather is so soft it gets wrinkles in it. The leather will almost tear. My was ruined after about 6 months worth of work. They just don't hold up.
    A lot of guys on my FD bought the Phenix TL2's and love them.

As for Cairns, their leather lid quality has gone downhill...

I have one of the last N5A's made before MSA took over.

A fellow Deputy bought a new N5A that had chips in the paint right out of the box... the inner liner and impact cap assembly was also screwed up to the point that it had to be worn cocked to the left. it seems that quality control took the day off the day that lid was put together.

He returned it and repainted his Cairns 1010.

I have a Paul Conway shield on my lid...
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 11-26-2007 at 05:40 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Some Guy

I have been using my TL-2 since March. I love it. I have been very happy with it. I love the fact that I can bend the leather to how I see fit. I do not have the bourkes on it. I am thinking about addinf them though.
    This space for rent

Any idea if the 6" conway shield will fit on the tl2?

I haven't been too impressed with the N6A now that I have had it in a few workers. The paint chipped off quickly and I have cracks in the seams already. Guess I will be sending it to have it looked at.

I know its not hands on but the San Fransisco Fire Department seems to use a lot of them. check out this website http://www.thebattalion.tv/ for video of SFFD. There are some good close ups in episode 4 and others. I too am considering purchasing this helmet. It just seems wider in the rear than the N6A any truth to this or am I seeing things.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Golzy12 View Post
    Any idea if the 6" conway shield will fit on the tl2?
    any 6 1/4 shield will fit the phenix

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    I haven't been too impressed with the N6A now that I have had it in a few workers. The paint chipped off quickly and I have cracks in the seams already. Guess I will be sending it to have it looked at.
    ive heard this alot from cairns users. I hear most guys wind up sanding thier factory paint or burn it up and rattle can high temp paint over it.

Quote Originally Posted by nwadler View Post
    I know its not hands on but the San Fransisco Fire Department seems to use a lot of them. check out this website http://www.thebattalion.tv/ for video of SFFD. There are some good close ups in episode 4 and others. I too am considering purchasing this helmet. It just seems wider in the rear than the N6A any truth to this or am I seeing things.
    I was actually planning on getting the tl2 for sure until i saw it in the battalion, the helmet looked really long and wide in the show. It would be great if someone had a comparison pic of the TL2 and another helmet.

I have been using high temp black paint to touch up myne already. But what I am concerned about is the leather cracking at the seams where the helmet shell meets the brim.

I dont remember who the forum member it but I think he works in the florida area. He had a N6A and the bought a Phenix leather. Maybe if that individual has the two helmets he could be of some assistance in comparing the two.

A sugestion for anyone who does it maybe a direct over head view would be good to compare the two.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Two lids are better than one

I have both a TL2 and Cairns Leather.. The TL2 has become my daily (well whenever we get a shout) wearer, my Cairns, still like it, but had major issues with paint flaking off, so I had it repainted and now it's my reserve.

Like the TL2 just fine, second those who say the headband seems flimsy, ended up putting doublesided tape on the front band as it kept riding up.

Anyway, will post some pics of side by sides for those that care.

The reason the Phenix leather has some wrinkles in it is because it is not resin-soaked like the Cairns lids are. The resins are what make the leather stiff and rigid. The Phenix leather is pliable and considerably softer than Cairns. The helmet holds its shape just fine, but it can be rather easily reshaped to suit the wearer's taste without having to heat it first in order to soften it.

My lid has been fantastic. It sees a good bit of action and is holding up extremely well. Hell, it still has all it original paint and I'm already on my second shield...Cairns-MSA can't even come close to that.
    I much prefer the TL-2 over either of my two previous Cairns leathers.

IF I were to ever get another Cairns, it would be an old 5A that is pre-impact cap. IMHO, those are the only leathers that rival the comfort, fit and weight of the Phenix.

I'll try to get a few side-by-side pics of my different lids for comparison and get 'em posted, but it may be several days.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Thread Information