Thread: Phenix Leather helmets

Forum Member

Default Tl2

Jusy wondering if anybody has a used TL2 for sale if u do email me at

josephkisel80@gmail.com

Thanks

Forum Member

Default Still Holding Up?

I've read just about every reply on this tread and have mostly read great reviews about this helmet. I just sold my leather Conway (need a different color) and I'm debating if I want to get another Conway or go with the Phenix. A N6A is also up for debate but that price is ridiculous! My question to you guys that have had theirs for sometime is how long have you had it? And how is it holding up?

Forum Member

Default Trading In

I'm in similar shoes to Eng25Fireman, moving from a Conway Heritage looking for a lighter leather lid due to a color change. My issue lies with the fit. I have tried on several New Yorkers that are just plain oddly shaped for my head, some with the suspensions intact and some with them removed. All rest on the very center my brow and on the back of my skull near the crown, teetering back and forth from side to side due to no contact on the sides of my head. All rest very high because they never actually get all the way down on my gourd. I can't see that the leather would "stretch" enough to accommodate my pronounced cranial cavity and ironically I don't seem smart enough to figure it out after literally years of research. Does anyone share my handicap that can shed some light on the subject. I'm leaning toward the Phenix TL2, but if the Conway truly is the only leather that will fit me, then it's weight is too high a price to pay for fashion and I'll be condemned to Tupperware.

Forum Member

Default Phenix 9-11 Commemorative helmet

Its not to late to find that perfect gift for the Firefighter in your life. (Or yourself) we have numbers 15,16,17,18,19,20,23,24,25, and 27 availible for immediate delivery. THESE HELMETS MUST BE ORDERED BY THE 19TH FOR CHRISTMAS DELIVERY. Don't forget 10 percent of the purchase cost goes to NATIONAL FALLEN FIREFIGHTERS FOUNDATION.

http://www.phenixfirehelmets.com/pro...emorative.html

Forum Member

Last edited by ColoradoDave; 11-16-2013 at 10:54 AM.

New Phenix leather, came in the other day. Got it fitting right within minutes. Love it! Now going to retire the Conway.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Finally got mine into some good fire,,,even if it was a training burn I just had to get the new shine knocked off of it.

Also got the leather headband from my deluxe 1044 installed into the Phenix. Fits so much better now.

Thats a slick looking lid without the tets. Where did you have that shield made? really pulls the whole helmet together.

Quote Originally Posted by PosiPete View Post
    Thats a slick looking lid without the tets. Where did you have that shield made? really pulls the whole helmet together.
    That was the shield that came with the helmet from JBRescue.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

I have one that i use at work.... Wanted the New Yorker but standards wont let me ad i really didnt feel like putting all the money down for the Sam Houston. So I bought a Phenix from a private seller in Richmond, VA and I love, got a wicked bend in it now

Forum Member

I just finished reading 6 years of posts spread across 33 internet pages. I think this is a new level of squirreliness, even for me.

I REALLY like the appearance of the yellow TL-2s (unfortunately only our lieutenants can wear black). I know some said the Phenix vastly differ in appearance from N5A/N6A helmets, but to me they look like older New Yorkers. More traditional and attractive New Yorkers.

I'm hesitant about the "guts" of the helmet compared to Cairns...I love the rear brim, the flexibility seems to be a moot point if not a benefit, the price is right, and I can rip off the Scotchlite in favor of reflexite tetrahedrons.

With a wide Paul Conway front, this might just be the way to go, and my 880 might get yanked off the rack.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a TL2, I used use a Cairns 1010, the difference is night and day. The Phenix feels so light compared to the Cairns and you can adjust it to your head size very easily. I got mine from Emergency Responder Products, they stock them. I ordered it on a Monday and had it the next day.
    http://www.emergencyresponderproducts.com/trlefihe.html

MembersZone Subscriber wischief's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ex7500 View Post
    I have a TL2, I used use a Cairns 1010, the difference is night and day. The Phenix feels so light compared to the Cairns and you can adjust it to your head size very easily. I got mine from Emergency Responder Products, they stock them. I ordered it on a Monday and had it the next day.
    http://www.emergencyresponderproducts.com/trlefihe.html
    You wouldn't happen to own the company or be a salesman would you? Sure post alot about the same company. Smells like SPAM?

Forum Member

Has anyone had a problem with the helmet pulling apart some at the shell part from the leather? It is hard to describe but I have a black helmet and you can see some of the natural color underneath bc it is coming apart a little? I will try and post a picture.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by shoelessT View Post
    Has anyone had a problem with the helmet pulling apart some at the shell part from the leather? It is hard to describe but I have a black helmet and you can see some of the natural color underneath bc it is coming apart a little? I will try and post a picture.
    Phenix has customer service that is second to none. Give them a call and they will be happy to help you if there is a problem. This almost sounds like a leather shrinking/expanding problem that may just need some touch up paint. If that is not the problem, definitely give them a call.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

If you would like to see more pictures and get more information on our helmet line you can visit our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnm...elmets?sk=wall

I need earflaps for my Phenix leather, tried emailing them directly but no response. I need to know prices. Any help please?

Yup. Mine did this after it's first fire. It was right where the brim meets the cap. Just like you describe, you could see a small line of exposed leather. Mine ended up getting a whole new shell under warranty after another incident and I sold it to a coworker. The second shell is doing the same thing. One thing I have to say though is Phenix is jamb up with customer service; they should take care of you.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Yup. Mine did this after it's first fire. It was right where the brim meets the cap. Just like you describe, you could see a small line of exposed leather. Mine ended up getting a whole new shell under warranty after another incident and I sold it to a coworker. The second shell is doing the same thing. One thing I have to say though is Phenix is jamb up with customer service; they should take care of you.
    I talked to them directly from their site and they were great. They had me send them a picture and said that it was not a safety issue and that they would send me touch up paint. GT, did you find anyway to fix the problem?

Forum Member

Mtvfr6 You can contact phenix direct at 888-347-7838.

I talked to them directly from their site and they were great. They had me send them a picture and said that it was not a safety issue and that they would send me touch up paint. GT, did you find anyway to fix the problem?
    Nope. Like I said, shortly thereafter the helmet was damaged significantly in a situation where it shouldn't have been and the entire shell was replaced under warranty. I sold it and bought a Sam Houston, and have not seen the same issues. The co worker I sold it to is having the same separation issues at the seams with the new shell after only a few fires.

Whether they consider it a safety issue or not, seeing bare leather on your brand new $400+ helmet is not a good feeling when you know it hasn't been abused. Hopefully you will find a way to resolve it that satisfies you.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Thread Information