Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 243132333435 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Phenix Leather helmets

Do you have anything on your helmet besides the bourkes?

Do you have anything on your lid besides bourkes?
    Quote Originally Posted by RyDnE62bckwrds View Post
    I have one that i use at work.... Wanted the New Yorker but standards wont let me ad i really didnt feel like putting all the money down for the Sam Houston. So I bought a Phenix from a private seller in Richmond, VA and I love, got a wicked bend in it now

Forum Member

Red face Phenix Technology is proud to anounce three new accesories for our helmet lines

Please visit this link for details on three new accessories for Phenix fire helmets. Also you can visit our Facebook page for even more details and ask any questions you would like.

http://tinyurl.com/84oomk4

https://www.facebook.com/?sk=lf#!/Phenixfirehelmets

can someone please put up some pictures of the helmet with the nape strap suspension in it because me and im sure many other people would like to see it this will be the difference of me buying it or not thank you

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Calphenix1 View Post
    No but thank you ive already seen this picture what i would like to see is a picture of a helmet with the nape strap in it not just the system itself but than you calphenix1
    Engine Goes !!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by iceman82996 View Post
    No but thank you ive already seen this picture what i would like to see is a picture of a helmet with the nape strap in it not just the system itself but than you calphenix1
    The helmet will look the same no matter which liner you put in it. What you are looking for as far as information?
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    The helmet will look the same no matter which liner you put in it. What you are looking for as far as information?
    Thank you all for the in formation im going to buy one from hand tub within the next month or so
    Engine Goes !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by iceman82996 View Post
    Thank you all for the in formation im going to buy one from hand tub within the next month or so
    Why not thank Jason by buying one from HIM? Not to mention he will beat their price.
    Last edited by GTRider245; 07-08-2012 at 08:01 AM.
    backsteprescue123 and ATFDFF like this.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Phenix would like to hear from you

Please if you have the time fill out this survey to let us know how we are doing.

http://survey.constantcontact.com/su...h65arjjl/start

Forum Member

Forum Member

I haven't read through the entire thread but was just wondering if anyone has had any issues with the TL2 deforming with heat. I've had the helmet for a little bit and it has held up well so far but tonight I was at a fire and apparently the helmet got too hot and deformed badly on both sides exposing about a 1.5" section of the inner dome on one side and about a half inch on the other. It looks like the leather just drew up and pulled loose from the inner dome. Just looking for any info you all may have. Thanks.

Forum Member

Here are pics of the helmet in question.

On this one you can see where the leather has drew up underneath the tets and caused them to bunch up.
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    And here you can see allthough the bourkes are dirty they are not deformed or melted and I think we all know how easy it is for that to happen so obviously there wasn't a huge amount of heat involved. These are the cheap bourkes as well, not the high heat type I don't think as they are fairly thin.
    Photobucket

Jlynn, those pictures are almost an exact copy of what happened to my Phenix. Mine was after one decent burn, in which the tets, stickers and leather front all came out looking like nothing had happened.

Phenix warrantied the helmet (after telling me it was my fault- if you want to know how they knew that ask me) and I got the shell replaced for free. I sold it as soon as I got it back and the person who bought it is having the same issues again, just not as bad. We do not see a lot of fire around here.

Contact Phenix directly, send them the pictures and hope for the best.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

be a man and wear a n5a or n6a
    firedan525 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Jlynn, those pictures are almost an exact copy of what happened to my Phenix. Mine was after one decent burn, in which the tets, stickers and leather front all came out looking like nothing had happened.

Phenix warrantied the helmet (after telling me it was my fault- if you want to know how they knew that ask me) and I got the shell replaced for free. I sold it as soon as I got it back and the person who bought it is having the same issues again, just not as bad. We do not see a lot of fire around here.

Contact Phenix directly, send them the pictures and hope for the best.
    I have emailed Phenix and am awaiting a response, I don't expect anything til at least tomorrow. I would love to hear why they said it was your fault. I was surprised to see my helmet had deformed that badly. Most of the discoloration that is on there was from other fires, I can honestly say it never got that hot last night. I have the cheapo bourkes on there and they aren't even deformed whatsoever, and the shield isn't deformed at all. Not sure what the deal is, I haven't even had it a year yet. I sure hope they will repair it under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by bwalters199 View Post
    be a man and wear a n5a or n6a
    I've heard the new Cairns helmets are pretty low quality compared to what they use to be, if they don't replace this one for some reason I guess I will just go back to the department issued Conway and forget about having a leather helmet. If they do replace it I will leave in the truck and wear my Conway to structure fires and wear the leather to everything else. Its way more comfortable than the Conway but if it has this issue in moderate heat then no since in ruining another one.

Quote Originally Posted by jlynn163 View Post
    I have emailed Phenix and am awaiting a response, I don't expect anything til at least tomorrow. I would love to hear why they said it was your fault. I was surprised to see my helmet had deformed that badly. Most of the discoloration that is on there was from other fires, I can honestly say it never got that hot last night. I have the cheapo bourkes on there and they aren't even deformed whatsoever, and the shield isn't deformed at all. Not sure what the deal is, I haven't even had it a year yet. I sure hope they will repair it under warranty.

I've heard the new Cairns helmets are pretty low quality compared to what they use to be, if they don't replace this one for some reason I guess I will just go back to the department issued Conway and forget about having a leather helmet. If they do replace it I will leave in the truck and wear my Conway to structure fires and wear the leather to everything else. Its way more comfortable than the Conway but if it has this issue in moderate heat then no since in ruining another one.
    After going through Shaun Russel (he is the Phenix rep on this board) and a little bit of email back and forth I received a phone call from an older gentleman with Phenix. I cannot rememeber his name, I just remember him being a retired chief from somewhere in Cali. He informed me that they had a way of running a forensic test on the threads of my chin strap to see how hot the helmet actually got. Seriously. He then told me he "had no doubt" that the helmet failure was my fault, but that they were going to replace the shell anyway.

After that we had about an hour long conversation about East vs West coast firefighting, training burns, etc. He was a pretty cool guy. Other than the part where he told me that they were only allowed to light training burns with one pallet at a time in the corner of the room. He lost me on that one.

I have since purchased two Houstons and never looked back. Good luck with things.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    After going through Shaun Russel (he is the Phenix rep on this board) and a little bit of email back and forth I received a phone call from an older gentleman with Phenix. I cannot rememeber his name, I just remember him being a retired chief from somewhere in Cali. He informed me that they had a way of running a forensic test on the threads of my chin strap to see how hot the helmet actually got. Seriously. He then told me he "had no doubt" that the helmet failure was my fault, but that they were going to replace the shell anyway.

After that we had about an hour long conversation about East vs West coast firefighting, training burns, etc. He was a pretty cool guy. Other than the part where he told me that they were only allowed to light training burns with one pallet at a time in the corner of the room. He lost me on that one.

I have since purchased two Houstons and never looked back. Good luck with things.
    I'm not sure what I will hear from them, but I can tell you now that if that helmet got too hot its because they make an inferior product because I have been in way hotter than that with no issues with any gear I have had in the past. I didn't even have my earflaps down and was only feeling moderate heat. 2 guys I was in there with had Cairns helmets (1 New yorker, 1 Houston) with absolutely no issues. I will look forward to what they try to tell me. I have heard nothing but good things about Phenix so I'm hoping for the best, I would hate to spend $400 on a helmet to not even get a year out of it.

Just to give you a heads up, they'll try and pick apart your story due to the pictures. My TL2 has started to seperate just like yours has, just not that bad (mine has seperated about an inch and is definitley noticeable). They will look at the nomex earflaps and the tetrahedrons in your picture and tell you that you did get it too hot, trying to discredit your story. Now, I believe the helmet should hold up a lot better than that especially if you see a lot of fire and want a long lasting leather. My TL2 was involved in a magnesium explosion earlier this year which took a chunk about the size of a penny out of the top part of my lid. I emailed Phenix, and Shaun Russell called me and said the helmet was still fine because it didnt reach the impact cap. Told me how to fix it with PC-7 (I think) and leather paint. Hopefully theyll fix yours or give you a refund. Best of luck and stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by mtvfr6 View Post
    Just to give you a heads up, they'll try and pick apart your story due to the pictures. My TL2 has started to seperate just like yours has, just not that bad (mine has seperated about an inch and is definitley noticeable). They will look at the nomex earflaps and the tetrahedrons in your picture and tell you that you did get it too hot, trying to discredit your story. Now, I believe the helmet should hold up a lot better than that especially if you see a lot of fire and want a long lasting leather. My TL2 was involved in a magnesium explosion earlier this year which took a chunk about the size of a penny out of the top part of my lid. I emailed Phenix, and Shaun Russell called me and said the helmet was still fine because it didnt reach the impact cap. Told me how to fix it with PC-7 (I think) and leather paint. Hopefully theyll fix yours or give you a refund. Best of luck and stay safe.
    I fully expect any company out there to fully investigate warranty claims and make decisions when need be to not be liabl due to user negligence. This keeps them from paying out for warranties that they shouldn't have to cover. Good business practice.

However, after seeing these 4 instances of the exact same thing I feel like this is an issue Phenix needs to address. I honestly don't know if gluing a plastic liner to a leather shell is the best design. I do not know a whole lot of people with TL-2s who have seen a lot of fire. Most seem to be worn every now and then. Like I said, the guy I sold mine to is having the same issue and the helmet has seen virtually no fire since repair.

Looking forward to Phenix's reply to this.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Thread Information