MembersZone Subscriber

Default On-line academy's?

I am looking into taking a 12 week online academy and a 2 week "boot-camp" to obtain my ff 1 & 2. Due to my work schedule, this is the only way I can get my cert. I have been told that the IFSAC certification will be sufficiant in AZ, but I'm wondering are these online academy's legit?

Has anyone ever gone through one of these online academys and have you been sucessful in your career with these certs?

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Forum Member

Are you talking about trainingdivision.com?

If so I hear they are very legit and some of the classes have gotten the highest scores in the state of Texas. I am looking at doing the very same thing, once I can come up with the money. Let me know how it goes.

MembersZone Subscriber

i got my cert from training divsion samething that everyone else has be prepared to work hard and have fun

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanx for the input guys. I am planning on going through trainingdivision starting in Dec. and hope to finish up by end of April. I'll let you know how it goes rescuehuck or maybe I'll see you there if you have got the funds together by then. I know what you are going through, I'm in the same boat. Thats why Im not there now.

Another question for you guys, particularly Medic. Did you go through a med exam or clearance prior to trainingdivision, and if so who what where? Just trying to calc. all my expenses.

Thanx again for the input.

Rob

MembersZone Subscriber

I attended trainingdivision.com boot camp in June of this year. It was a great program. As for employment, I started full time on Dec 14, 2006 in a 1 on 3 off rotation with my department.

I would recommend them to anyone!

Forum Member

What I am curious about is if this is going to really help me get a job. I mean you already get your cerfitication, but you going to go through someone else's academy once you get hired on. Although I have seen many Texas departments require you already be certified.

Either way, I am thinking about doing this and the EMT class through them.

MembersZone Subscriber

hawg,

my brother and numerous friends have gone through training division and all have scored in the 90% range on the state of texas exam which is known to be tough. It is a very legit academy producing quality fire fighters. just to let you know. for your boot camp portion, be in shape, they work you and work you hard.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Went through Kilgore online fire academ in TX

I went through the Kilgore Online fire academy in Kilgore TX and finished it successfully, havent been hired yet but as far as the academy i found it very informative and fun. Lol i was taught by the same instructor that used to teach trainingdivision

MembersZone Subscriber

what is the average cost of these types of programs?

MembersZone Subscriber

does anyone know if you can use the GI Bill to cover the cost of these courses?

MembersZone Subscriber

Most of them range from $2000- $3000. I went through Training Division, and thought the people there were tip top.

As far as the GI Bill question, I remember some ex-USMC guys talking about how they had to pay for it (as of January of 2007). However, I think this had to do with the fact that the school was not accredited as college level credit courses. However, they were working on it, so maybe the situation has changed by now.

Best of luck

MembersZone Subscriber

if your looking for a nice piece of paper to hang on your bathroom wall - take the online training. If your looking to learn how to perform effectively, take a class that the major focus is hands-on. Ive tought FF1, FF2, safety, and tech rescue for years and had the best student pass ratios whith classes that focused on hands on training.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by agentsvp View Post
    if your looking for a nice piece of paper to hang on your bathroom wall - take the online training. If your looking to learn how to perform effectively, take a class that the major focus is hands-on. Ive tought FF1, FF2, safety, and tech rescue for years and had the best student pass ratios whith classes that focused on hands on training.
    trainingdivision.com requires you stay at their barracks for 2 full weeks of "hands on" action.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by xstalkrx View Post
    trainingdivision.com requires you stay at their barracks for 2 full weeks of "hands on" action.
    Yeah, JUST 2 weeks! To be fair, there have been some guys in my vol. department that have gone through training division and they have had only great things to say about it. But I have talked to many guys that come to my gym who are full-time FF/EMT-P from several different departments. Each one of them told me that they could easily tell if their new probies had gone to training division or had gone to a traditional type of academy like the one at the Tarrant County College Fire Service Training Center (3-4 month, 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Mon.-Fri.). When asked which academy they would recommend to attend, every one of them said T.C.C., no question!

Granted training division is much more easy on someone's family/work schedule, while still being just as tough as a traditional fire academy. I just feel that two weeks is not enough "hands on" time to fully prepare someone to have enough experience and skill to fight fires and perform the many other duties of a firefighter.

Forum Member

I know this is an old thread, just wanted to put my two cents in.

I have not worked with trainingdivision.com, but am considering it. You have to do what fits. If I go through a normal academy, I would be 35 by the end of it & that's the cut off age for most departments in DFW. Through training division, I can be an EMT-B (traditional training) and have my ff cert before I turn 35.

Many departments will send you to ff school, around here anyways. If that's case, why does it matter as long as you have the certs to apply.
    Last edited by sachse1; 01-28-2010 at 11:38 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sachse1 View Post
    I know this is an old thread, just wanted to put my two cents in.

I have not worked with trainingdivision.com, but am considering it. You have to do what fits. If I go through a normal academy, I would be 35 by the end of it & that's the cut off age for most departments in DFW. Through training division, I can be an EMT-B (traditional training) and have my ff cert before I turn 35.

Many departments will send you to ff school, around here anyways. If that's case, why does it matter as long as you have the certs to apply.
    The only DFW metroplex F.D.'s that I've heard (though there may be some others) will send/pay for a new hire (without any exp. or certs.) to obtain all the proper training is Fort Worth, Dallas, DFW Airport, and Mesquite. The last 3 departments mentioned have a requirement of 30-60 college hours and/or 2-4 years military exp.

As far as the "many" departments that will send you to basic fire academy, almost all of those departments require the applicant to have obtained (or be "x" months away from finishing) their medic cert. on their own.

Now as far as the effects of obtaining your certs. online, I brought this question up with my chief a few months ago. He told me this topic came up by several others at a recent multi.-department fire chief's meeting. He informed me that several of those in attendance acknowledged in the meeting that they did not favor the online training route. They cited the reason for their stance was that the majority of their newly hired "online" recruits had to be completely retaught the basics, what was supposed to have been already taught in basic fire academy.

We have 1-2 guys who obtained their certs. online and are doing fine. But I can definitely relate and agree with those who do not favor the online training route. Sure you can do 15-16 weeks worth of bookwork from home/online at your own pace. But trying to cram 15-16 weeks of actual hands on skills, training, and team building aspects into just 2 weeks of "bootcamp" seems ridiculous!
    Last edited by pewter98; 01-31-2010 at 03:04 PM. Reason: typos
    IF YOU CAN'T TAKE THE HEAT, GO BE A COP!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pewter98 View Post
    We have 1-2 guys who obtained their certs. online and are doing fine. But I can definitely see and agree with those who do not favor the online training route. Sure you can do 15-16 weeks worth of bookwork from home/online at your own pace. But trying to cram 15-16 weeks of actual hands on skills, training, and team building aspects into just 2 weeks of "bootcamp" seems ridiculous!
    I believe the OP is talking about a very basic fire academy for college credit to put toward a degree and obtain is I & II. Not you traditional 12-18 week department academy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sachse1 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine3982 View Post
    I believe the OP is talking about a very basic fire academy for college credit to put toward a degree and obtain is I & II. Not you traditional 12-18 week department academy.
    Wolverine: From what sachse is saying, it sounds like he is wanting to obtain his certs. for the purpose of getting hired by a F.D. more than a degree.

For those of who who are considering trainingdivison.com and want a job in Texas, just remember that TCFP will only approve your basic firefighter certification if you can show proof of completion of required emergency medical response training (ie: state certified as an ECA, EMT-B, EMT-I, or EMT-P) Trainingdivison.com will let you sit and take the TCFP state exam without prior EMS training. But even if you pass the commission's basic structure fire suppression examination, your TCFP's certification will be held in a "limbo" status until you can send proof of EMS training.

A while back, I was talking with this guy who was also dropping off the initial application to take an entrance exam. This particular F.D. required all applicants to have already obtained at least their FF/EMT-B. I ask him where he went to fire academy. He said "Training Division." I then asked him "So did you do your EMT there too?" He was like "No, haven't gotten it. Once I passed the TCFP state exam, I started applying to every department that was hiring." I told him "You know, F.D.'s like this department that require applicants to already have both their FF/EMT-B usually will not allowed a person to advance into the hiring process and take the entrance exam without ALL the required certs. right?" He looked at me with a "WTF, are you serious?" look on his face! He claims that he was never told this in fire academy. But the guys I know that have been through trainingdivision.com said they were made well aware of the need to show proof of EMS training to TCFP before your TCFP basic firefighter cert. would be valid and therefore be able to test.

Turns out, this guy had been turning in intial job applications to every F.D. that was hiring that required "prior FF/EMT-B certification" for nearly a year and a half and never heard back from any of them!!! When I pointed out that this particular application clearly stated that EMT-B certification was a min. requirement, his responds was "Well I thought that was one of those optional things." That nearly blew me away! When all of the applications ask for proof of TCFP certification, why did a huge "?" not start pulsating in his brain? I asked him if he every thought about calling or if any of the F.D.'s called him back concerning his application status? He replied "No, I just assume they would contact me when there ready." No wonder! You know once the H.R. department saw that he didn't have proof of the proper certs., they just threw his application out and moved on to the next one in the stack.

In a year and a half of appyling without proper certifications and waiting, a person could have nearly finished both EMT-B and EMT-P!

DON'T MAKE THE HUGE MISTAKE THIS GUY DID!!!
    Last edited by pewter98; 01-31-2010 at 03:15 PM.

Forum Member

Here's another company that is worth checking on, North Texas Fire Academy, www.ntfaonline.com. They are out of Rockwall (about 20 minutes east of Dallas).

Online - your pace & while you are doing that, you go to their location I think 6 weekends (Sat & Sun).

Or Classroom - two nights (done on shifts) and I believe Saturdays are skills...?

Instructors are currently FF / P / EMT. Cost is $2500 & it's another option to trainingdivision.com or traditional college class settings.
    Last edited by sachse1; 03-17-2010 at 02:39 PM.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Non of those home school, computer or self taugh classes are worth nothing in Virginia or Maryland.

If you wasn't hired by the department, VA or MD, and attended their recruit school you aren't going to be accepted.

Those certs are nothing but worthless paper as far as we are concerned.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    Non of those home school, computer or self taugh classes are worth nothing in Virginia or Maryland.

If you wasn't hired by the department, VA or MD, and attended their recruit school you aren't going to be accepted.

Those certs are nothing but worthless paper as far as we are concerned.
    Yeah, well, when VA and MD join the 21st century, let us know. Until then, some states allow you to test regardless of what certs you have. Sheez.

BTW....I think your grammar needs some work too. Take a look at your post "if you wasn't sure what I'm talking about"
    Last edited by sweetpete; 03-26-2010 at 07:01 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pewter98 View Post
    The only DFW metroplex F.D.'s that I've heard (though there may be some others) will send/pay for a new hire (without any exp. or certs.) to obtain all the proper training is Fort Worth, Dallas, DFW Airport, and Mesquite. The last 3 departments mentioned have a requirement of 30-60 college hours and/or 2-4 years military exp.
    FWIW, add Arlington FD to the list.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HammerheadMedicFF View Post
    FWIW, add Arlington FD to the list.
    Sort of. You have to already have obtained at least your EMT-I or EMT-P on your own before applying to Arlington FD. Once hired, Arlington FD puts their new hires through their own 16-week fire academy. I believe even new hires who already have thir FF cert. must still go through Arlington F.D.'s 16-week fire academy.
    Last edited by pewter98; 03-27-2010 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Adding info.

Thread Information