Thread: advice?

Forum Member

Default advice?

i live in arlington county, va and am thinking of applying for firefighting/emt. my worry is that i don't have the most perfect record in the world. an underage consumption and providing a place for people to drink back in college about 3 years ago. i also have smoked marijuana about 8 months ago but don't plan on doing it again ever because i want a career firefighting. is this all going to be a problem? i've put everything on my application so i won't be dismissed for lying but i'm a bit worried that i may be dismissed based on my past screw ups. my buddy in the cia said that i shouldn't worry too much about it because quite a few people in government jobs don't have perfect records and that honesty is the best policy when filling out the applications. any thoughts or recommendations for my situation?

Forum Member

You'll probably need a good five year gap.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT
    You'll probably need a good five year gap.
    I'm 23 right now. Five years would be cutting it kind of close to even persue this career i'd think. Are there exceptions? Should I still turn in applications or would that hurt my chances down the road?

MembersZone Subscriber

Worst they can say is no. I'd at least give them that opportunity. If you don't submit this year, you'll still have to put the same information down when you finally do submit. I don't think that it would hurt your chances in the future. BKDFT might be right though. Experimenting within the past year might not show enough time to ensure that you won't do it again. Anyway, I'd give it a shot.

By the way, late 20's is not too old. I'm 28, just out of the army, and tested for my first time this past year. There are more folks my age doing the same thing than you might expect. Good luck.

Chuck
    Last edited by chuckbrooks; 10-31-2006 at 04:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Thread Information