Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ranting

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ranting

Ok, I have noticed a bunch of people asking about online courses, cert, licenses and whatnot. In the EMS section there is some guy that wants to take his medic online. WTF!!!!!!!! Why people. Besides fitting your schedule what is the pros do this. Does it outweigh the negative aspects of it.
    J
    Last edited by mcfd45; 10-30-2006 at 10:58 PM. Reason: forgot a letter
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcfd45
    Ok, I have noticed a bunch of people asking about online courses, cert, licenses and whatnot. In the EMS section there is some guy that wants to take his medic online. WTF!!!!!!!! Why people. Besides fitting your schedule what is the pros do this. Does it outweigh the negative aspects of it.
    J
    There are none that I can think of people are just lazy I would guess
    Now getting some type of coned I could see that helping to some extent or possibly any lecture material for a recert class but as far as initial courses I dunno.

Forum Member

While I am not advocating online EMS courses, I could see some good uses, one of which you already covered, scheduling. The other would perhaps be if there wansn't wany nearby classes/facilities offering such a program. However I couldn't imagine anyone would possibly be able to complete one of these courses without clincal hours/ride time. It would still need to be set up at the sate level at some point since of course they are the AHJ in most places, if not all locations.

Forum Member

While I wouldn't be in favor of taking EMT online, there are a number of courses where it would not only be faster and more convenient, but actually enhance the learning experience, if on-line study were an option.

The unfortunate fact is that much of what we have to learn, and our instructors have to teach, is a very rigid curriculum with an even more rigid pedagogical style. Put up a slide (that is identical to a page in the book), READ the slide to the class (WTF?), put up the next slide. Anyone who has taken the Federal Wildland classes knows exactly what I am talking about.

My own pet peeve is ICS and NIMS stuff. There is NO reason why it shouldn't be possible to do these on-line. And in fact many excellent on-line course exist. But my state won't accept them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by randsc
    While I wouldn't be in favor of taking EMT online, there are a number of courses where it would not only be faster and more convenient, but actually enhance the learning experience, if on-line study were an option.

The unfortunate fact is that much of what we have to learn, and our instructors have to teach, is a very rigid curriculum with an even more rigid pedagogical style. Put up a slide (that is identical to a page in the book), READ the slide to the class (WTF?), put up the next slide. Anyone who has taken the Federal Wildland classes knows exactly what I am talking about.

My own pet peeve is ICS and NIMS stuff. There is NO reason why it shouldn't be possible to do these on-line. And in fact many excellent on-line course exist. But my state won't accept them.
    Does your state not accept the online courses offered through FEMA? If not, what is the reasoning?

MembersZone Subscriber

On-line, or more properly, distance learning, is a growing method of adult learning. Properly designed, either part or all of a class may be able to have an on-line delivery component. Their are several methods of doing this, depending on the subject mater and the course objectives.

Some distance learning classes require in-person modules. It is all in the course design. Some of the course work for EMT or paramedic MAY be able to have a distance learning component. Obviously, clinical and hands-on skills cannot. There is a lot more to a distance learning class than reading a chapter and taking a quiz. If you have taken the NIMS or ICS training on-line, you have seen the bare minimum of distance learning.

At the college level, distance learning courses are as hard, or in some cases harder, than their in-person equivalent. If you are motivated enough, distance learning may fit your life style. If you are lazy, you will not pass the class.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

Default No, they don't

Quote Originally Posted by SFD9203
    Does your state not accept the online courses offered through FEMA? If not, what is the reasoning?
    Last I heard they were "evaluating" them, but had not offered any rationale for not recognizing them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by randsc
    Last I heard they were "evaluating" them, but had not offered any rationale for not recognizing them.
    Connecticut will accept the on-line 700, 100, and 200 classes. Most people with a background in ICS can take the online ICS-200 class in about an hour. If the same person takes it in a classroom setting, the state requires 8 hours of instruction.

ICS 300 and 400 are only classroom courses. I believe ICS-300 is 3 days and ICS-400 is 2 days.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by KenNFD1219
    Connecticut will accept the on-line 700, 100, and 200 classes. Most people with a background in ICS can take the online ICS-200 class in about an hour. If the same person takes it in a classroom setting, the state requires 8 hours of instruction.

ICS 300 and 400 are only classroom courses. I believe ICS-300 is 3 days and ICS-400 is 2 days.
    Same here in Texas. We did all the NIMS online and without problem.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

I am a huge advocate of online learning and as mentioned earlier it is becoming much more popular. Online learning is not for lazy people!!! I have taken a ton of college courses online, but when I first heard of an online fire academy about 3 years ago, I said there's no way that will work. Teaching people to be firefighters online is ridiculous, but because of my work schedule and unusual time constraints on becoming certified, I had no choice but to do it online. I was wrong to say that it wouldn't work because it was an excellent experience and I know I learned just as much if not more than a regular academy would have taught me. But it was much harder and much more involved than people give credit for. The academy was through Training Division, which is based in Fort Worth, TX (trainingdivision.com). We did all of the book work on our own at the computer at our own pace. Being able to go at your own pace is a huge advantage. There was a work book that had to be completed for each chapter, quizes, and a test over each chapter. If you do not know the material, you will not pass the quizes and tests, and you have to be a motivated individual to sit down and make yourself read and study that stuff on your own. Then after successfully completing the book work, we went to TD in Fort Worth and spent 2 weeks living at a working fire station for a boot camp, which is where we picked up all of our hands on skills. We worked 14 days straight 10-15 hr days covering all the skills. Each day we also took written tests to make sure we really knew the material. If you fail the tests, or if you are not prepared then you get sent home. I admit that we did not get as much hands on experience as a classroom would've allowed, but we learned other things such as how to live/get along in the firehouse. The instructors even come in during the middle of the night and get the class up for an "alarm" and we have to perform an extrication or somethng else. The instructors were very hard on us and made sure we knew our stuff. They are now offering an EMT-B class for the 1st time with plans to offer a paramedic class in the future, and I see no reason why this won't work. I have my EMT-B, but if they were offering Paramedic right now, I would be all over it. You do the class room portion on line by yourself, but I think you go to TD and live at the firehouse for a couple of weeks early on practicing your skills, and then you go back for another 2 weeks or so later to do all of your clinicals. I know it's a little out there for some of you, but I think this is a great opportunity!

Thread Information