Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Looking for help on helmet decision...

The time has come for me to purchase a new helmet. I want a little change from the 660 Metro that I've worn forever, so I have decided that I want to go with a traditional helmet. I want to stick with Cairns, but the problem is, nobody I know wears one that I can check out. Can you guys let me know which helmet you like or dislike, and why? The options are the 880, 1000, 1010, and 1044. Thanks for all the help!

Forum Member

Theyre all junk.

Spend the extra cast and buy a used leather. I honestly thing the modern style helmets are more comfortable then the traditional plastic ones. i wore a 1010 for a while and its like walking around trying to balance a stack of books on your head. They sit way too high on the head. The quality of them sucks too. i remember seeing a guy at a fire we had a couple years ago with just the impact cap left on his head because somehow the shell had seperated from it. you'll never see a leather do that.

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoop06
    The time has come for me to purchase a new helmet. I want a little change from the 660 Metro that I've worn forever, so I have decided that I want to go with a traditional helmet. I want to stick with Cairns, but the problem is, nobody I know wears one that I can check out. Can you guys let me know which helmet you like or dislike, and why? The options are the 880, 1000, 1010, and 1044. Thanks for all the help!

MembersZone Subscriber

I wear two helmets. One for the volunteer department which is a Carins 1010 and the Ben Franklin from Morning Pride, which I wear at my job. I prefer the Ben Franklin. It fits better in my opinion. I still like the 1010 though. I wouldn't call them junk though. One has to take care of the helmet. If for some reason the individual was left with only the protective cap and the outer helmet was gone then something went wrong. Most are installed with velcro and some other type of securing system. Was this removed for some reason and not reinstalled properly or not at all? The system only works when all parts are properly installed and yes, sorry guys, with the chin strap buckled. I had a Bullard, forget the model but looked similar to the Metro 660, talk about sitting high on the head. It felt like it was going to fall off even with the chin strap buckled.

As far as getting a used leather helmet I don't know about that. I would imagine it needs to meet the standards and several do. In both of the departments I am with the helmets are supplied. You might find a good buy on ebay for any one you decide on.
    Last edited by LtTim556; 10-31-2006 at 01:20 PM.
    Vintage Firefighter: The older I get, the braver I was.

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LtTim556
    I wear two helmets. One for the volunteer department which is a Carins 1010 and the Ben Franklin from Morning Pride. I prefer the Ben Franklin. It fits better in my opinion. I still like the 1010 though.
    I just went from a 1010 to a BenII. I never minded the 1010 while I wore it, but now that I've worn the Ben for a bit I see what you mean. The BenII seems to fit better. It also feels lighter, but I think that's just because the weight distribution is better and because it sits lower on my head.

It is all personal preference though. You definitely want to get one in your hands/head before you buy. If you can't find someone locally who has one, try conventions or, worse-case, order from someplace with a liberal return policy.

Our dept. just switched from the BenII to the 1044 and they love them. I wear a BenII and its much better than the 660.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thread Information