" Leather Forever"

Default Upgradeing N5A Leathers

Does anyone know if you can have your old pre impact cap helmet upgraded by Cairns so that it meets Osha and NFPA. Just got a mint condition Leather pre impact cap and cant wear it at work do to NFPA and OSHA. My dept says if I get hurt and its due to a substandard helmet I might not get all the benifits.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by AKDude
    Does anyone know if you can have your old pre impact cap helmet upgraded by Cairns so that it meets Osha and NFPA. Just got a mint condition Leather pre impact cap and cant wear it at work do to NFPA and OSHA. My dept says if I get hurt and its due to a substandard helmet I might not get all the benifits.

First,

No, Cairns to the best of my knowlege got out of the refurb business on the pre impact cap helmets.

Second...as for not getting all your benefits. That is just BS from those who just don't know any better. Can you imagine the fallout if a city failed to pay for a fireman's widow and fatherless children because the helmet (which when made met all exisitant standards of the time) wasn't what they liked today? Polticially, it is unimaginable. Not saying you should wear it...but the thought of that happening is unrealistic at best.

PS-The pre-impact cap helmet never had any safey deficencies. The chances of the helmet being the cause of death are slim to none.

I personally know of a LODD within the past decade where the man was wearing a pre-impact lid and his family recieved everything that any other LODD fireman would get anywhere...locally, state, and Federal.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

I am not sure but if you can't then sell it on EBAY for a couple hundred bucks and add a little to it and buy a new one with it.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

AAAhhhhh Fred,

More of the NFPA gastapo!! I have always wondered how these helmets "fail" to meet NFPA impact requirements, but contruction workers can wear a plastic helmet held on by a plastic headband. You know, the kind you can purchase at your local Toys R Us for your kid.

Granted NFPA does not regulate the standards of construction helmets, yet the impact requirements between the two as they relate to real world experiences are extremely similar.

Once something is heavy enough to break your neck, the integrity of the helmet on your head really doesn't matter.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 11-01-2006 at 03:36 PM.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

thank you, i know have more ammo for the next time someone makes a comment about my N5A

Thread Information