Truckie

Default The true libral veiw of the military.

White House, Kerry Exchange Accusations
    Email this Story

Oct 31, 4:52 PM (ET)

By JENNIFER LOVEN

WASHINGTON (AP) - The White House and Sen. John Kerry traded their harshest accusations since the 2004 presidential race on Tuesday, with President Bush accusing the Democrat of troop-bashing and Kerry calling the president's men hacks who are "willing to lie."

The war of words, tough even for this hard-fought campaign season, came after Kerry told a group of California students on Monday that those unable to navigate the country's education system "get stuck in Iraq."

The two parties are searching for any edge amid indications Democrats could take back the House and possibly win control of the Senate in next week's midterm elections. Though neither Bush nor Kerry is on any ballot, the bitterness with which they fought each other as 2004 rivals spilled over as both campaign hard for their parties in a race shaped in large measure by public doubts about the Iraq war.

White House press secretary Tony Snow was asked about Kerry's comment at his regular briefing with reporters, and had clearly come prepared with a lengthy attack. He said the quote "fits a pattern" of negative remarks about U.S. soldiers from the decorated Vietnam veteran and suggested that whether Democratic candidates - particularly those running on their military service backgrounds - agree with their 2004 standard-bearer should be a campaign litmus test.

The White House also released in advance remarks Bush was to deliver later in the day while campaigning in Georgia, in which the president called Kerry's statement "insulting and shameful." Bush, like his spokesman earlier, said soldiers deserve an apology from Kerry.

"Our troops did not enlist because they did not study hard in school or do their homework," Bush said in his prepared remarks for a former GOP congressman, Mac Collins, who is trying to oust Democratic Rep. Jim Marshall. "The men and women who serve in our all-volunteer armed forces are plenty smart and are serving because they are patriots."

Kerry, who is considering another run for the White House in 2008, angrily fired back.

His statement called Republicans "assorted right-wing nut jobs."

And at a hastily arranged news conference in Seattle, Kerry said: "I apologize to no one for my criticism of the president and of his broken policy."

Kerry said the comment in question was "a botched joke about the president and the president's people, not about the troops ... and they know that's what I was talking about."

It came during a campaign rally for California Democratic gubernatorial candidate Phil Angelides. Kerry opened his speech at Pasadena City College with several one-liners, saying at one point that Bush had lived in Texas but now "lives in a state of denial."

He then said: "You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq."

That, Kerry said, was meant as a reference to Bush, not troops. Kerry said it is the president who owes U.S. soldiers an apology - for "a Katrina foreign policy" that misled the country into war in Iraq, failed to adequately study and plan for the aftermath, has not properly equipped troops and has expanded the terrorist threat.

The Massachusetts Democrat called the White House attack "a classic GOP textbook Republican campaign tactic" that reveals Republicans'"willingness to reduce anything in America to raw politics."

"I'm sick and tired of a bunch of despicable Republicans who will not debate real policy, who won't take responsibility for their own mistakes, standing up and trying to make other people the butt of those mistakes," he said. "It disgusts me that a bunch of these Republican hacks who've never worn the uniform of our country are willing to lie about those who did."

Unsubstantiated allegations about Kerry's Vietnam War heroism from a group called Swift Boat Veterans for Truth figured prominently in the 2004 Kerry-Bush race. Even Kerry has blamed his slow and uncertain response to the group's claims for helping to doom his White House chances, and Democrats viewed the Tuesday fracas as a test of that lesson.

"Enough is enough. We're not going to stand for this," Kerry said. "We are going to stay in their face with the truth."

Other Republicans, sensing opportunity for their side, piled on throughout the day with their own demands for an apology from Kerry.

GOP Sen. John McCain, like Kerry a decorated Vietnam veteran and a potential 2008 rival, said while campaigning for Republican candidates in Indiana that "the suggestion that only the least educated Americans would agree to serve in the military and fight in Iraq is an insult to every soldier serving in combat today."

Added House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., struggling to keep his party in control of Congress: "Our soldiers risk their lives in the face of grave dangers on the battlefield, and no one who chooses to courageously and selflessly defend our country can be considered 'uneducated.'"

Separately, the White House issued President Bush's Veterans' Day proclamation praising those who have served in the armed forces - a week and a half before the holiday.
    __________________________________________________ _______________

Kerry, a well used spokeman and fund raiser for the democrats has finally broke the silence- the librals lothe the military and those that serve.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking moron

You know he was born with a birth defect, where his mouth should be his *** is. His brain is of an abnormaly small size as well.
    J
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Forum Member

First off, let me make it perfectly clear that I am not a Democrat, nor a Republican...

But, I'm chalking this up to typical election time "spin" on the part of the Republicans. In reading other articles on this, it appears that Kerry's explination is true, and the students to which he said it, got the joke.

It's well known that Bush hates it when anyone criticizes him, especially when it comes to Iraq and his foreign policy. I think Rummy proved that point last week when he chastised reporters and eventually walked out during a press conference when the topic of debate was the benchmarks that had been set in Iraq.

When it comes right down to it, the Republicans are concerned they will lose control in this election, and they are rightly so. I think that America has had it with Bush making bad decisions, and the House following party lines so closely in turn.
    Jack of all trades, master of none.

Live Green, Go Yellow!

Join the forums at www.ambulass.com!

Forum Member

Meant to be a joke or not he should have enough sense for a man in his position to know you don't make jokes using your military as the pun of it while they are at war. Simply disrespectful IMO Dem or Rep.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

Sorry, ......I'm just not buying this statment as a botched joke. Mr. Kerry is an educated man who prepares EVERY speech he delivers and practices that speech as well. If he wanted to attack the Presidant than he should have done so....rather he attacked every member of our military serving in that God forsaken S#$t hole of a country, inferring that they were stupid! Mr. Kerry, you suck, ... I am a U.S. veteran and I approved this message!!!!!
    Never trust a smiling dog.
    The uniform you're given is free, but it comes with a history. Do the right thing when you're in it.
    PTB, EGH, FTM.

Hook & Can

Last edited by Nine3Probie; 07-28-2013 at 06:13 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

Mom always said, that behind every "Joke" is the truth. If you kiddingly pick on a co-worker, the joke really hits on your true inner feelings.

Lack of respect for our troops from J. Kerry should say it all. If you don't think a presidental candidate has 4 people reviewing every written word before it comes out of his mouth, I have a really nice piece of land for sale CHEAP!

I says what I means, and means what I says

Fir Na Tine

Never to fear. Nozzleman will be here with the "correct" view on this article soon enough.
    Tom Warshaw
    Station 13 (Bethel)
    Sumter Fire Department

"Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

September 11, 2001. We Must Never Forget.

In memory of Thomas Sabella, L-13, FDNY

All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

Forum Member

Default Bad as it reads....

...it sounds even worse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKUtTCrs6d8

I believe that this was an attempt at a joke. I don't believe that it was an attempt to make a joke at the expense of the President, as Kerry is claiming.

The notion that people join the military in large part because they lack other opportunities has been an article of faith among many like Kerry since Vietnam. I think this is the point he was trying to make.

Of course, these days that point is factually incorrect as well as being politically moronic, but we're talking about John Kerry here.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm thinking that someone with as much controversy about his own service shouldn't be making jokes about the military, not that anyone should. Typical politics though, you take a stab at the President (who's not running for an office), he responds and you get offended and throw it back,....endless freaking cycle. I'll be glad when the elections are done.

Personnally, I have my doubts it was a joke, but a stab at Bush and the republicans (didn't Kerry vote to go to war with Iraq, anyway?) instead of sticking with the issues.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would think that his comments reflect the view not only of liberals but also conservatives...both usually comming from money $$$.

Today more than ever people from the Upper-Middle class to Upper classes don't view Military service as an honorable thing or even something that should be considered.

You have military recruiters baned from High Schools, Colleges are also violently opposed to having ROTC or any Militrary recruiting on campus as well. Parents look down on having a child enlist as if they did something wrong in raising their offspring.

One only needs to read this book to understand these aristocratic cowards view points.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

Of course he meant nor disrespect to the troops. Who would do such a thing? Oh, wait- didn't he call American soldiers in Vietnam war-mongering baby killers and muderers? He is a true peice of...work! He can't help but talk down to people he thinks are beneath him.

Forum Member

Listen to it...he's a typical elitest. If you're smart like me, you wont have to join the military and I'd bet you could substitute military with civil service worker (ie:Fireman),construction worker,truck driver etc....But whats with all the surprise...thats how many of these rich polititians think.

The Republicans are trying to "spin" his words.....BS..HE said it! What I also have a problem with (in addition to what he actually said), is what he claims he was trying to do. He is trying to say, is he meant to insult the President and his staff. Well that almost as bad....what the hell kind of United States Senator gets up in front of a group of collage students and attempts to insult the United States President!! I'm all for his disagreeing with the Presidents policy (thats what a democracy is all about)....but what ever happened to respecting the office and disagreeing without name calling...its just another example of whats wrong withmost of the leaders in Washington from both sides of the aisle.

MembersZone Subscriber

"You have military recruiters baned from High Schools, Colleges are also violently opposed to having ROTC or any Militrary recruiting on campus as well."

I only know of schools in San Francisco that ban recruiters. I would bother me to know that there are more schools that do that. I have eighteen years in the brokerage business working for places like Smith Barney, Cantor Fitzgerald, and Fidelity etc. My career has provided a nice living but I feel as though I have missed my calling. I donít feel I have accomplished much. It's not all about the money. I'm grooming my son for one of our Military Academies and pray that he is willing to go. Of course working for the FDNY after college would make me equally proud.
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    I would think that his comments reflect the view not only of liberals but also conservatives...both usually comming from money $$$.

Today more than ever people from the Upper-Middle class to Upper classes don't view Military service as an honorable thing or even something that should be considered.

You have military recruiters baned from High Schools, Colleges are also violently opposed to having ROTC or any Militrary recruiting on campus as well. Parents look down on having a child enlist as if they did something wrong in raising their offspring.
    Amen, brother. I think our nation could learn a thing or two from the WWII generation, when our nation wholeheartedly backed our military, no matter how unpopular the government's decisions.

Personally, I think the military would do some good for these kids that are dropping out of school, graduating and not going to college, etc. I don't know about going to so much of an extreme, but I think there's some benefit to how some countries do it-you either go to college or join the military after high school.

I'm actually having some fun watching FOX and some of the opinions, including the guy they had on a bit ago from the American Legion who called for Kerry's resignation.

Forum Member

Default Schools banning recruiters....

...has become so common it is hardly remarked on any more. At King Philip high in Massachusetts, they wouldn't even allow representatives of West Point to come to their annual scholarship and fellowship awards dinner to present two kids with their appointments to the Academy.

The education establishment in this country is no friend of the military. I would argue they are no friends of the emergency services either, but that's a discussion for another time.

[QUOTE=RoughRider]
    I only know of schools in San Francisco that ban recruiters. I would bother me to know that there are more schools that do that. QUOTE]

the 4-1-4

I only know of schools in San Francisco that ban recruiters.

Shorewood High School, in Shorewood, WI is another city/school district that has prevented military recruiters from entering the schools, and continues to be a debate to this day. Keep in mind though, this is also a city in which many of the residents would rather fly the French flag, than their own.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02
    Of course he meant nor disrespect to the troops. Who would do such a thing? Oh, wait- didn't he call American soldiers in Vietnam war-mongering baby killers and muderers? He is a true peice of...work! He can't help but talk down to people he thinks are beneath him.
    You beat me to it. As a former Marine, and one who is ignorant or stupid for trying to join the Coast Guard I apologize for my stupidity.

This is the same scumbag who compared every man and woman in the Republic of Viet Nam to Ghengis Khan.

This is the same useless bag of bones (lacking, of course, the spine) who ingores many funerals in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for young men and women whom he is not fit to carry luggage for.

Joke? Maybe - as it is clear from the recording that he was reading a document, but if it is a joke and being recorded don't you think that you ought to have the intelligence (he is a "Yale Man" after all) to be sure to read it correctly.

Thankfully, I no longer live in the People's Republic so I am no longer represented by this twit and Ted Kennedy.

Sadly, the flaming Liberal Intelligensia in Massachusetts truly believe this and support him blindly. And many feel the same as Mr. Kerry does about the great men adn women who serve.

Like I said, these are the type of people not fit to pick up their seabag from the truck of the taxi.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

If he insulted the military, he thus insulted himself. He was once in the military, though his tenure was a disgrace to the armed forces.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

You shouldn't call this the LIBERAL view. There are liberals who disagree with Senator Kerry and his opinions, Don't forget that. It might be his view on the military, but not mine and i'd like to consider my self a liberal.

MembersZone Subscriber

Catch22

Correct me if I'm wrong but your last post says the same thing Kerry said.
    If your not smart enough to go to college you should go into the military.
    Wow

Hook & Can

Last edited by Nine3Probie; 07-28-2013 at 06:13 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CpaceEng1
    Catch22

Correct me if I'm wrong but your last post says the same thing Kerry said.
    If your not smart enough to go to college you should go into the military.
    Wow
    No, that's not what it says. It says that I think it's a good idea for those who drop out of school or choose not to go to college. I know a number of people who are VERY intelligent who dropped out, and even more that didn't go to college.

My point was that I feel the structure provided and taught by the military is benificial for a lot of kids these days. Too many kids are leaving school with no direction in life, no respect for authority, etc. I also believe the fire service is another alternative to learn those values. Or police academies for that matter.

I would not DARE to disrespect our military. My grandfathers, father, uncle, and family members beyond that who served. I tried my damndest to get in myself, but could not (heart defect that wouldn't allow me to pass the physical). The quasi-military atmosphere of the fire service is part of what drew me to this profession.

Forum Member

Regardless of what political suit John Boy wears (I could care less)....his comments just reaffirm the old adage of 'put brain into gear before opening mouth'. Dumb*****.
    In Arduis Fidelis
    Faithful in Adversity

Forum Member

I have to admire this strategy by the national Republican Party -- mounting a last-minute campaign against someone who is not running for office! The strategy will be 100% effective. Kerry will not win next Tuesday.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Thread Information