Forum Member

Thumbs down Donald Trump Gets In Trouble For American Flag

Donald Trump cited for 80-foot flag pole

PALM BEACH, Florida (AP) -- Donald Trump's display of patriotism is apparently too flamboyant for this chic oceanside town.

Palm Beach officials cited Trump for hoisting a large American flag atop an 80-foot pole at his lavish Mar-a-Lago estate and club.

Town officials said the real estate mogul has violated zoning codes with a flagpole taller than 42 feet and for erecting it without a building permit and permission from the landmarks board.

Trump has until November 27 to apply for approvals or face a December 21 code enforcement hearing that could result in $250-a-day fines.

"You don't need a permit to put up the American flag," Trump said Tuesday. "The day you need a permit to put up the American flag, that will be a sad day for this country."

Lee Hanley, vice chairman of the town's landmarks commission, previously said the 15-by-25-foot flag makes the town look like "we have an Okeechobee car dealer," referring to a strip of auto dealerships along Okeechobee Boulevard in West Palm Beach.

Trump responded in a letter last week saying that "anyone who objects should not, in my opinion, hold a public office of any kind -- at least not in this country."

The flag first appeared outside the estate October 3.

-----------------------------------------

I am glad to see the Don being stubborn about something respectable for once. He can probably afford to just take the fines and keep the flag up.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Not sure how well that would hold up in court. Particularly if it conforms to the requirements for proper display - appropriate height vs flag size etc. Just another show of stupidity, I guess.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

A beaurocrat or politician having a brain fart?

Malahat, how dare you insult people like that.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Raising and flying a flag is not the problem. An 80 foot pole where 42 foot is allowed is the problem.

Not sure how well that would hold up in court
    Trump will lose. Very simple. They have an established ordinance for pole height. He exceeded it without permission. End of story. No reason he can't fly his flag at 42'.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

At $250 a day in fines, I don't think he would have trouble leaving it up.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RyanEMVFD
    At $250 a day in fines, I don't think he would have trouble leaving it up.
    Good point. At a full year of leaving it up, it would only cost him $91,250. Somehow I think that's chump change to Mr. Trump.
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

IACOJ BOD

Can anyone say

Flight Hazard

A gobbing great 80 foot ole in the middle of no where is a tad shtupid,

apart from an eyesore for the neighbours, and I don't care if it is a flag or a pair of his jocks hanging from it.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Talking

How about Ivanna's underwear?

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know about Ivana's, but I would not mind seeing a pair of Marla Maple's panties up there... (For those not in the loop, Marla is another of the Donald's exes, she came after Ivana.)
    Leroy140 (yes, THAT Leroy)
    Fairfield, CT, Local 1426
    IACOJ Tillerman

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi
    Can anyone say

Flight Hazard

apart from an eyesore for the neighbours, and I don't care if it is a flag or a pair of his jocks hanging from it.
    You sound more scottish in this post. That or drunk. J/K Kiwi.
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

MembersZone Subscriber

Can anyone say

Flight Hazard

If a plane is 80 feet off the ground it has had a bad day and the pole is pry the least of its problems. This is aasuming Don doesn't live next to the airport. I think he can afford to live in the burbs.
    J
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

IACOJ BOD

Ummm

Donny Bob Boy lives in a trailer park where NONE of the neighbours flap around in a heliochopter at all.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Ummm

Donny Bob Boy lives in a trailer park where NONE of the neighbours flap around in a heliochopter at all.

If the have restrictions on 80 ft flag poles me thinks they have them on personel heli's. in the backyards.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not against patriotism, but I think trump is just over compensating here. If it was anything else but the American flag, would he have any support?

Now if he flew an 80 foot full size poster of his newest trophy wife Milania...
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

I'm sure it's the BEST flag on the BEST flagpole. If you've heard him promote his properties and products you'll know what I mean
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

He ought to keep it up and pay the fine.

No one will restrict me from flying Old Glory as I see fit, on my personal property.

You don't like the eyesore? Don't look at it.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Hook & Can

Last edited by Nine3Probie; 07-28-2013 at 07:13 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by needlejockey
    Good point. At a full year of leaving it up, it would only cost him $91,250. Somehow I think that's chump change to Mr. Trump.
    no its.........trump change.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie
    ... on my personal property.
    Is your house on your personal property built to your own building codes....or some government agency's? Thought so.

There are rules that govern your property. Follow them. No reason he can't fly the flag at 42' like anyone else.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Permanently Removed

I am all for being a proud American and flying the colors. And for defying the authority for a bit.

But...

I think Donald should just comply and get over it. I/he/you have better things than to fight with the authorities over something like this. Be loud and proud, but just play by the rules on this one I guess.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    Is your house on your personal property built to your own building codes....or some government agency's? Thought so.

There are rules that govern your property. Follow them. No reason he can't fly the flag at 42' like anyone else.

Then he can challenge the building ordinance.

This is a money making scheme. And some rich pompous snob (well a bunch of them) who want everything their way. Screw 'em.

And as mentioned, poles are proportional to flags. I still say challenge it. Or pay the fine.

And where were the building inspectors when they inspected the property?

Forum Member

Being as it's against their code, I'm willing to bet he put the flag pole up after any inspections were done. And I agree with you...comply, challenge, or pay the fine.

Permanently Removed

Hey this forum is rollin thunder. I am cracken up ..lol
    Yeah I am back but improved my sentence structure a little if you only saw what I did friday I was drinkin. However no tellin family please. I am doing it again friday . I loved it but I was a handful .

Forum Member

Talking

I see both sides, but when it comes down to it. I'd love to see an 80' flag pole on ever corner. At least then people may pay attention to it and remember what some people went through to allow us to fly a 10', or 42', or even 80' flag pole.
    When it comes to the flag, I just don't see how you can regulate how high it can be.

I guess I'll pay his fines for the first year.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by meijersweetie22
    Hey this forum is rollin thunder. I am cracken up ..lol
    Yeah I am back but improved my sentence structure a little if you only saw what I did friday I was drinkin. However no tellin family please. I am doing it again friday . I loved it but I was a handful .
    Anti-freeze is some good stuff.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Thread Information