MembersZone Subscriber

Well it looks like it is CHIEF310 and Greenacres who win the cigar on predictions. To those who got them, so sorry guys. Try , try again. Persistence pays off.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Default Dj

Also got our DJ for a pumper. Kicked out by the computer the way I read it. Pretty much expected, but we got grants the last 2 years and several others too.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Yes, unfortunately the wait is over for many.

Keep all y'alls head up and work on the next app. As my esteemed collegue said, persistance pays off in the end.

Assistant Chief

Default Got our Dear John today...

I got our Dear John today. I applied for handheld radios. It makes me mad because we only have three portable radios for 20 people, so we really need them. I guess I'll have to have one of the pro's read my app for next year, if there is a next year.

Brad
    Brad A. Ingersoll
    Assistant Chief
    Maple Bluff Fire Department
    Blooming Grove, Burke, Maple Bluff EMS

Badgerland FOOLS
    EGH-PTB-FTM

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Dear Johns are out! 11/14/06

Received Dear John just moments ago (11/14/06 @ 4:37pm) for 2006 AFG Vehicle application - Did not go to peer review. DJ says over 2/3 of vehicle apps were not submitted to peer review. I am somewhat surprised that ours didn't at least go to peer as we met many of the priorites, aged vehicle (1978), non nfpa, overwieght, home-made etc... I knew our chances were slim, but I had figured on it at least going to peer.
    Rick Gustad - Chief
    Platte Volunteer Fire Department
    www.plattevfd.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Just got mine for a pumper. Can't complain to much though. I got awarded in 04' and 05' to the some of $ 140,000 between them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy Us Too!

Well at least we're not alone, we can commiserate together. We got our DJ too tonight. Congrats to those that were awarded, condolences to those of us that weren't.

This isn't a bad opportunity to encourage everyone to get together with the guru's (Kurt, Brian, Diane etc.) We have and we're going to re-polish and strengthen this year's app. for next year.

Also, please go visit the thread on who's going to pick up the reins http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=85301

If we all work together to get our voices heard by our elected officials, maybe we can get the funding level increased so that there's more to funds to work with and increase our chances.
    Stay Safe!

Scott
    Bellona Vol. Fire Co.

"There are three kinds of people, those that learn by reading; the few that learn by observation and the ones that have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." - anon.

Forum Member

I just recieved a reference award number on my 1199 page on 2003 grant page that shows a number for 2006 . What does that mean?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by scottm207
    Well at least we're not alone, we can commiserate together. We got our DJ too tonight. Congrats to those that were awarded, condolences to those of us that weren't.

This isn't a bad opportunity to encourage everyone to get together with the guru's (Kurt, Brian, Diane etc.) We have and we're going to re-polish and strengthen this year's app. for next year.

Also, please go visit the thread on who's going to pick up the reins http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=85301

If we all work together to get our voices heard by our elected officials, maybe we can get the funding level increased so that there's more to funds to work with and increase our chances.

Well Scott, at least you have the knowledge now from the seminar that you previously did not have before you appllied this year. Hopefully that helps you to assess what you did wrong guy. Better luck next year.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bumpcrys
    I just recieved a reference award number on my 1199 page on 2003 grant page that shows a number for 2006 . What does that mean?
    It means you probabaly won't be cryingthe blues like most of the rest of everyone in here tonight guy. Watch for your 10 qs in the mail soon.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780
    Well it looks like it is CHIEF310 and Greenacres who win the cigar on predictions. To those who got them, so sorry guys. Try , try again. Persistence pays off.
    Not a cigar i wanted to win. We DJ'ed on SAFER last week, i question whether i'll ever figure that one out.

I'll echo Scott's word of encouragement. Get educated...all elements have to hit together--right project, right stats, right narrative all at the right time. It can happen, it has for us on AFG 2 years straight. And a CEDAP, state DNR, FPS and a few others. It started when we got smart enough to know we weren't smart enough.

earl

Forum Member

Add me to the Dear John pile. Well at least I don't have to check the site all day everyday.

Forum Member

Default Dear John - EMS

Just got the DJ for an unaffiliated EMS provider grant request was for an exhaust system and some modifications to the building.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well Ladies and Gents, we too can be added to this list for 18 sets of turnout gear and two SCBAs. Our heads are up and looking to the next chance to apply. We have in fact been blessed with two awards in 03 and 05 which have expanded our service by leaps and bounds!!! Many thanks to this group of wonderful folks for all the info and help!!! A special thanks goes out to Dixie Chick!!! We wish all the best for all the winners!!! We are still in the running for CEDAP!!! To all the Djs , by all means , KEEP YOUR HEAD UP and LOOK TOWARD THE NEXT AFG!!!

Forum Member

Add us to the list as well on to working at next years and seeing what else we can come across grant wise.

MembersZone Subscriber

Folks keep in mind that these DJs are for the ones that didn't make it past the computer scoring which means, something is wrong in your numbers up front. It can be many things but, I see many disappointed clients who failed to take those questions at the front of the grant seriously.

They whizzed through them due too lack of time ( procrastination and waiting till the last minute to file) or they took a lackadaisacal attitude in answering them thinking they were not the important part of the grant.

They got stuck on getting a solid narrative, which is good but; if you don't get past the computer, a human being never reads the narrative. Haphazard record keeping, inaccurate numbers, poor pricing quotes, lack of call volume and incorrect answers or conflicting answers from one section to the next can and has killed many of your grant appliciations. This is a two hurdle race and you have to clear both hurdles to cross the finish line as a winner.

Re-group, re-think and re-apply again!
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Default a fun race to watch

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780
    Folks keep in mind that these DJs are for the ones that didn't make it past the computer scoring which means, something is wrong in your numbers up front. It can be many things but, I see many disappointed clients who failed to take those questions at the front of the grant seriously.

They whizzed through them due too lack of time ( procrastination and waiting till the last minute to file) or they took a lackadaisacal attitude in answering them thinking they were not the important part of the grant.

They got stuck on getting a solid narrative, which is good but; if you don't get past the computer, a human being never reads the narrative. Haphazard record keeping, inaccurate numbers, poor pricing quotes, lack of call volume and incorrect answers or conflicting answers from one section to the next can and has killed many of your grant appliciations. This is a two hurdle race and you have to clear both hurdles to cross the finish line as a winner.

Re-group, re-think and re-apply again!
    Kurt.... Pop Quiz... In a two hurdle race; who wins.... ME or YOU??

Just wanted to add some humor on a bummer of a day for some

Forum Member

Default dear john

got mine today

Forum Member

I'm totally shocked. Not only did I correctly predict the DJ date, but I DID NOT receive a DJ yesterday. Knock me over with a feather. No questions or 1099 yet, but we're still in the running. Now I'm really going to start holding my breath and biting my nails.
    Last edited by Chief310; 11-15-2006 at 08:06 AM.

Forum Member

Thumbs down I'm out

We got our DJ this morning on a request of $62,500 for station exhaust extraction and fire alarm systems. Nothing ventured, nothing lost. See you guys next year. Stay safe and have good holidays.

MembersZone Subscriber

We recieved our DJ also. We prepared our application before getting with some of the gurus also. That makes us 0 for 4 on AFG

I will be attending a siminar to get a handle on the what, why and how to write grants.

On another note we did recieve a community facility grant to add 2500 foot of living quarters and training room onto our station. Thanks to Katrina there was more money in the pot and we got a little.

Forum Member

Does anybody know if all the 1st round DJs are out, or are there more coming? For some reason, I can't log on to check my application. Is anyone else having trouble?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by AFD2181
    Kurt.... Pop Quiz... In a two hurdle race; who wins.... ME or YOU??

Just wanted to add some humor on a bummer of a day for some
    COnsidering our age difference, hands down you would be the winner. I wouldn't even run it, I would just concede vistory! LOL!
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Volchief1
    We recieved our DJ also. We prepared our application before getting with some of the gurus also. That makes us 0 for 4 on AFG

I will be attending a siminar to get a handle on the what, why and how to write grants.

On another note we did recieve a community facility grant to add 2500 foot of living quarters and training room onto our station. Thanks to Katrina there was more money in the pot and we got a little.

Well, a 100% funded USDA RFGP award is nothing short of amazing and nothing to scoff at guy. See you soon! We will get em next year for you.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Chief310
    Does anybody know if all the 1st round DJs are out, or are there more coming? For some reason, I can't log on to check my application. Is anyone else having trouble?
    Geez let's hope they are all out for now and that the delay is them loading up another round of 1199a updates and 10 q's.
    Kurt Bradley

Thread Information