Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Folks keep in mind that these DJs are for the ones that didn't make it past the computer scoring which means, something is wrong in your numbers up front. It can be many things but, I see many disappointed clients who failed to take those questions at the front of the grant seriously.

They whizzed through them due too lack of time ( procrastination and waiting till the last minute to file) or they took a lackadaisacal attitude in answering them thinking they were not the important part of the grant.

They got stuck on getting a solid narrative, which is good but; if you don't get past the computer, a human being never reads the narrative. Haphazard record keeping, inaccurate numbers, poor pricing quotes, lack of call volume and incorrect answers or conflicting answers from one section to the next can and has killed many of your grant appliciations. This is a two hurdle race and you have to clear both hurdles to cross the finish line as a winner.

Re-group, re-think and re-apply again!
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Default a fun race to watch

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780
    Folks keep in mind that these DJs are for the ones that didn't make it past the computer scoring which means, something is wrong in your numbers up front. It can be many things but, I see many disappointed clients who failed to take those questions at the front of the grant seriously.

They whizzed through them due too lack of time ( procrastination and waiting till the last minute to file) or they took a lackadaisacal attitude in answering them thinking they were not the important part of the grant.

They got stuck on getting a solid narrative, which is good but; if you don't get past the computer, a human being never reads the narrative. Haphazard record keeping, inaccurate numbers, poor pricing quotes, lack of call volume and incorrect answers or conflicting answers from one section to the next can and has killed many of your grant appliciations. This is a two hurdle race and you have to clear both hurdles to cross the finish line as a winner.

Re-group, re-think and re-apply again!
    Kurt.... Pop Quiz... In a two hurdle race; who wins.... ME or YOU??

Just wanted to add some humor on a bummer of a day for some

Forum Member

Default dear john

got mine today

Forum Member

I'm totally shocked. Not only did I correctly predict the DJ date, but I DID NOT receive a DJ yesterday. Knock me over with a feather. No questions or 1099 yet, but we're still in the running. Now I'm really going to start holding my breath and biting my nails.
    Last edited by Chief310; 11-15-2006 at 08:06 AM.

Forum Member

Thumbs down I'm out

We got our DJ this morning on a request of $62,500 for station exhaust extraction and fire alarm systems. Nothing ventured, nothing lost. See you guys next year. Stay safe and have good holidays.

MembersZone Subscriber

We recieved our DJ also. We prepared our application before getting with some of the gurus also. That makes us 0 for 4 on AFG

I will be attending a siminar to get a handle on the what, why and how to write grants.

On another note we did recieve a community facility grant to add 2500 foot of living quarters and training room onto our station. Thanks to Katrina there was more money in the pot and we got a little.

Forum Member

Does anybody know if all the 1st round DJs are out, or are there more coming? For some reason, I can't log on to check my application. Is anyone else having trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by AFD2181
    Kurt.... Pop Quiz... In a two hurdle race; who wins.... ME or YOU??

Just wanted to add some humor on a bummer of a day for some
    COnsidering our age difference, hands down you would be the winner. I wouldn't even run it, I would just concede vistory! LOL!
    Kurt Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Volchief1
    We recieved our DJ also. We prepared our application before getting with some of the gurus also. That makes us 0 for 4 on AFG

I will be attending a siminar to get a handle on the what, why and how to write grants.

On another note we did recieve a community facility grant to add 2500 foot of living quarters and training room onto our station. Thanks to Katrina there was more money in the pot and we got a little.

Well, a 100% funded USDA RFGP award is nothing short of amazing and nothing to scoff at guy. See you soon! We will get em next year for you.
    Kurt Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Chief310
    Does anybody know if all the 1st round DJs are out, or are there more coming? For some reason, I can't log on to check my application. Is anyone else having trouble?
    Geez let's hope they are all out for now and that the delay is them loading up another round of 1199a updates and 10 q's.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber jdlowndes's Avatar

I got a DJ yesterday... I hope it is not mine. I can't log onto the site and check (Help desk said it would be up in about one hour).... I hope it is another department that just used my email address!

Got mine yesterday... and Kurt you hit it on the head....

They whizzed through them due too lack of time ( procrastination and waiting till the last minute to file)
    I have nobody to blame but myself for being in the waiting to the last minute category. I worried about the narrative and you were of tremendous help, but I've done this before... successfully 3 times(2 fire and 1 fire prevention) so I don't know what I was thinking. I know full well the narrative is useless unless you can beat the computer. Oh well, hopefully there is next year where I can learn from my mistakes.

Not to mention I can't complain having gotten a totally new radio and repeater system, new scba and a fire prevention robot since 2002 thanks to our federal government brings my smile back a little bit (as much as it can given I've had no coffee yet!)

Congrats to those who were successful this year and the rest of us will be back next year!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780
    Geez let's hope they are all out for now and that the delay is them loading up another round of 1199a updates and 10 q's.
    Yea, and let's hope that one of those is ours!

Got our DJ yesterday too.
    Makes us 2 for 3 with this being the first failed grant.
    Asking for a New Tanker - knew it was a long shot going in given the relative good condition of the rest of our "fleet" and the highly competative nature of Vehicle Applications.

Oh well - guess it's time to start having community breakfasts and selling donuts

Good luck to all those still in the hunt.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Wrote eight grants this year, three funded...

...today three DJ's.

Still in the hunt for two more.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by jdlowndes
    I got a DJ yesterday... I hope it is not mine. I can't log onto the site and check (Help desk said it would be up in about one hour).... I hope it is another department that just used my email address!
    Sorry Justin, it is you guys, and I know you guys were hoping and praying, Next year!
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Here is my question Kurt - What can we do about the numbers not being right? I mean we operate on a small budget in my dept, around $10,000 a year. That has to pay our truck loans, equipment needs, and daily operating expenses. So really, if the numbers are what they are, what can we do about it?

MembersZone Subscriber jdlowndes's Avatar

Kurt, All I can really say is that it SUCKS!!! But there is always next year(sounds like I am quoting Mike Shula, Univ. of AL)....

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Without breaking the law, nothing. It just means that you have to apply for the right project. IE one item family only. I have some customers awarded that got more than 50 times their budget ($118k award for $2k budget), and a lot some fractions of their budget ($160k award for $4.5mil budget). So no single statistic in your application made or broke anyone. It's the collective.

Now as more and more people learn how the program works and what needs to be done, then the reason more people don't make the computer is because of plain competition: not enough money, too many hands. So some apps for the right thing for the right department will get denied. All you can do is make sure your assessment was done correctly, and your project designed properly based on that assessment. Then spin the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by gmattox
    Here is my question Kurt - What can we do about the numbers not being right? I mean we operate on a small budget in my dept, around $10,000 a year. That has to pay our truck loans, equipment needs, and daily operating expenses. So really, if the numbers are what they are, what can we do about it?
    I would have to look at your numbers to tell you where you are going wrong here. Feel free to contact me offline ( see profile) and I will try to help you out here.
    Kurt Bradley

Thread Information