Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    Without breaking the law, nothing. It just means that you have to apply for the right project. IE one item family only. I have some customers awarded that got more than 50 times their budget ($118k award for $2k budget), and a lot some fractions of their budget ($160k award for $4.5mil budget). So no single statistic in your application made or broke anyone. It's the collective.

Now as more and more people learn how the program works and what needs to be done, then the reason more people don't make the computer is because of plain competition: not enough money, too many hands. So some apps for the right thing for the right department will get denied. All you can do is make sure your assessment was done correctly, and your project designed properly based on that assessment. Then spin the wheel.
    Right on the money Brian. The #10 reason for rejection of an AFG is plain and simple, they ran out of money. Jdlowndes, look at how many trucks were awarded already in Alabama and you will see what I mean. I think it was something like 50 trucks already, that is huge and means that probabaly 250 departments applied. At some point the computer had to say, "Hey, enough truck applications from Alabama" and it just stops sending them to the peer reviewers.It is possible there is nothing wrong with your application, you simply got beat by others with stronger need.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Default Website

The website is functional again! Checked my ap, no DJ , No 1199 award number either . Just have to keep waiting!

Forum Member

Same here Huck...(about 2 hours due south of you, give or take)....Good Luck!!!!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

"No Gnews is good Gnews" according to Gary Gnu.

Bragging rights to whoever else can name that TV Show.

Another age check question I used when I was bouncing bar.

Forum Member

Just found our Dear John (aka F.U.) letter on a pumper.

That makes us 1 for 4. Well on to next years planning and plan B for this year.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    "No Gnews is good Gnews" according to Gary Gnu.

Bragging rights to whoever else can name that TV Show.

Another age check question I used when I was bouncing bar.
    The Great Space Coaster. I am actually embarrassed to know that

Forum Member

The Gnu Zoo Review

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Let's hear it for the over 28, under 40 crowd.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally Posted by BC79er

Now as more and more people learn how the program works and what needs to be done, then the reason more people don't make the computer is because of plain competition: not enough money, too many hands. So some apps for the right thing for the right department will get denied. All you can do is make sure your assessment was done correctly, and your project designed properly based on that assessment. Then spin the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780
    Right on the money Brian. The #10 reason for rejection of an AFG is plain and simple, they ran out of money. Jdlowndes, look at how many trucks were awarded already in Alabama and you will see what I mean. I think it was something like 50 trucks already, that is huge and means that probabaly 250 departments applied. At some point the computer had to say, "Hey, enough truck applications from Alabama" and it just stops sending them to the peer reviewers.It is possible there is nothing wrong with your application, you simply got beat by others with stronger need.
    I guess that I'm going to make this my mission, I'm going to bang this drum as often and as louly as I can (probably to the point that you'll be tired of hearing from me).

We HAVE to make our voices heard in Washington and get the funding level increased!! A combination of better applications and more money to spread around is what's going to reduce the number of us having to say we didn't get to peer review. My department needs a tanker and can't afford to buy one on our own. I know that there's a lot of us out there that need help with apparatus/equipment. We need a bigger pool to fish from!!
    Last edited by scottm207; 11-15-2006 at 03:06 PM.
    Stay Safe!

Scott
    Bellona Vol. Fire Co.

"There are three kinds of people, those that learn by reading; the few that learn by observation and the ones that have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." - anon.

Forum Member

Got our DJ yesterday we wrote for fire gear and exhaust system

Well, after 3 straight successful years we finally struck out with the dreaded Dear John letter for some water supply equipment. Guess we'll try to find another way to get some of it ourselves. Guess I can't complain though, we are included in a regional grant for communication equipment that was awarded last round. I'm going to start planning for requesting some rescue equipment next year. Lift bags, struts, etc. We keep having more and more MVC's each year and I'm afraid we're going to get caught with our pants down one of these times. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by kprsn1; 11-15-2006 at 01:10 PM. Reason: I'm a little slow.
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

Got our Dear john letter Tuesday also. Guess we will keep pushing our old wore out pumper.

Forum Member

Thanks guys. That was by no means a complaint about the program. I consider our department rather lucky in many respects, and I am sure there are departments out there with greater need than ours. But just wondering what we could do in the future to get past the computer...

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Program has been in place for 6 years.
    For 6 years, we have applied to the program.
    And for the 6th straight year, we have been DENIED.
    I have voiced some very strong opinions about the "competitiveness" of this program, but not this time.
    No sour grapes; no sirree. I couldn't be happier that the richest fire district in the entire state of Illinois was awarded. And to those departments who have garnered success in more than one grant year, hats off to you. I guess our little department just can't "compete".
    We will continue to beg, borrow and self pay our way to our needed purchases. Now that we are embarking on Technical Rescue without any federal help and having just purchased a rescue truck without the help of a grant and we will start replacing turnout without the assistance of a grant, because it would be a same if the richest fire district in the state of Illinois couldn't buy a new truck every two years. They NEEDED this grant. They NEEDED to know that they were competitive. Touchdown!
    But I'm happy for the winners.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

One quick question as I scan our application for a clue - "Over the last three years, what was your organization's average TOTAL operating budget?".

Is this asking for the total budget for three years, or the average per year over three years? Like if our budget was $10,000 a year for the last three years, would the answer here be $10,000 or $30,000?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

It would be $10,000.

Forum Member

Yea, thats what I thought... I think that may be an error on my chief's part that I didn't catch. I believe he put our total operating budget for 3 years, not the average.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason
    Program has been in place for 6 years.
    For 6 years, we have applied to the program.
    And for the 6th straight year, we have been DENIED.
    I have voiced some very strong opinions about the "competitiveness" of this program, but not this time.
    No sour grapes; no sirree. I couldn't be happier that the richest fire district in the entire state of Illinois was awarded. And to those departments who have garnered success in more than one grant year, hats off to you. I guess our little department just can't "compete".
    We will continue to beg, borrow and self pay our way to our needed purchases. Now that we are embarking on Technical Rescue without any federal help and having just purchased a rescue truck without the help of a grant and we will start replacing turnout without the assistance of a grant, because it would be a same if the richest fire district in the state of Illinois couldn't buy a new truck every two years. They NEEDED this grant. They NEEDED to know that they were competitive. Touchdown!
    But I'm happy for the winners.
    CR
    I understand where you are coming from CHIEF. It seems as though there are individuals on here "bragging" about how many times they have been awarded and it also seems as though they are applying for things because they can. I know of a department that I have talked to with a lot of money in the bank and no need to do any fundraising, but they have been awarded three years in a row and cannot think of what to apply for next. While the rest of us are borrowing money to purchase used equipment and then we get denied because we have a 1994 pumper with a low call volume. It doesnt matter that we pay a $1000 a month payment on that piece of equipment. And we have to do major fundraising to get the money for the payments. Fortunately we are still in the running to replace a 1975 Tanker with a cracked frame. But I expect the DJ anytime. Kurt pointed out some things in our narrative that will get us kicked out. The main reason is that I have not attended one of the seminars on how to write the narrative. I would love to travel 8 hours to Indiana to attend with greenacres and bring the birch beer, but with a full time job and a family, it is not feasible. Oh well, I will try to learn what I can off of here and try again next year. Sorry for venting. Have a wonderful day!!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

gmattox - with most projects I don't see that being an issue with such a small budget.

Repeat award winners are doing so because they only work on one project per year. PPE in one, SCBA in another, rescue tools, etc, etc, etc. They aren't trying to shoot for the moon and solve all of their problems. That being said, you can still follow everything and still not make the computer. As more and more people learn more about the great game of grants, the competition level increases. Hence the reason I spend so much time reading and analyzing. Those on the right track get run over when they sit still.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason
    . I couldn't be happier that the richest fire district in the entire state of Illinois was awarded.
    Just out of curiosity, who is the richest fire district in Illinois?

Thread Information