Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default viking turnout gear

we are looking into purchasing viking turnout gear. Does anyone know how the stuff holds up.

MembersZone Subscriber

does anyone even have any of this stuff. I was told boston uses it but I don't know. Right now its a toss up between viking or globe. Both fit equally well. It's down to which is going to last longer.

my department uses bristol, which is what boston was using previously, the rep for bristol(the actual company not a sales rep) said that boston had just switched over to viking, even though according to him bristol was low bidder

Wear is a component of materials as well as mfg.What specifically are you looking at? We've used Globe for years with very good service,not that others might not be equally good. T.C.

We have used Viking for about 5 years now. We like it, as it's light weight, comfortable, and all in all very comparable to Bristol.
    It is about average for wear and tear. In my opinion there really is no difference between Bristol and Viking.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default choose a good outer shell

Viking (based on some of the online literature I have read) does not offer some of the more expensive outer shells on their product line (I believe this is the same with Bristol).

My department previously used Bristol and had MAJOR issues with not only their dealer in my area, but also having them replace some of their product which we felt was inappropriate wear (we recieved their response in writing).

One of the issues we had was that we were using basofil as an outer shell - which if you research the issue actually is the best outer shell on the market for overall thermal protection. But it is the WORST in abrasion resistance - that is, if you are suggesting in your previous posting that you are concerned about the longevity of the gear - then certainly the outer shells impacts this.

Also does the demographics of your department - how active are you, how many calls to you respond to, what are the nature of those calls, etc.

Also, when do you plan on replacing this gear? If you look at other threads you will note that some departments replace basofil gear on an annual basis because of the abrasion issues.

Few departments are able to do that solely because of the financial issues with that policy, so I strongly suggest that you look at manufacturers or at least outer shells that are going to provide you with the best compromise between abrasion resistance and TPP.

It is generally accepted that Pbi Matrix is the best shell on the market in that category (best compromise between abrasion and TPP), so I strongly recommend that you look at this instead of looking at manufacturer as a way of determining longevity.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are MANY factors to consider other than manufacturer to determine the right turnout gear for your department.

Richard Spackmann
    Fire Commissioner
    Greenfield Fire District
    http://www.RichardSpackmann.com

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

My volly FD has been using Bristol turn outs for about 8 years, Granted we don't run a ton of calls but it is holding up as well or better than our older gear was.

The gear is Boston Spec Nomex Delta-T. It is light weight, comfortable, flexible, and in my mind offers great thermal protection. My gear is the most abused since I also have used it many times as an instructor for live fire training. After 8 years it is starting to show abuse in a few areas, particularly the pants cuffs, and knees. We are satisfied with the gear and most likely will spec it again when we replace gear.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

We bought some Bristol and Viking last year (10-12 sets). To the man, everyone hated both. I was completely suprised! I thought they'd love the lighter weight and less bulk, but most don't like the fit and the coat length. Conversely, all gear bought since is Globe G-Extreme and to the man everyone loves it! Most claim its the best fitting gear they've had and that it moves just the way gear should making climbing stairs and ladders a breeze in comparison.

BTW we've worn basofil since 1997 and give our gear a pretty good work out and other than specific incidences of damage we've not replaced outershell stuff for 4-5 years. Liners we've replaced due to poor fit or build quality, but not shells.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp
    The gear is Boston Spec Nomex Delta-T. ...and in my mind offers great thermal protection.
    FyredUp
    It gotta be all in your head Brother, cause nomex ain't even close to the top of the thermal protection chart. Especially the Delta-T config. I'm betting smart firefighting has better protected you than anything else.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

RFDACM02 :

It gotta be all in your head Brother, cause nomex ain't even close to the top of the thermal protection chart. Especially the Delta-T config. I'm betting smart firefighting has better protected you than anything else.
    Could be, but, I have used many of the ensembles out there and currently my career FD uses MP PBI and the tech college I teach for has just purchased MP PBI. The Bristol is much more flexible and lightweight than the MP and honestly I have never felt that it offered me less protection than anything else I have ever worn.

Maybe for me the issue is comfort and lightweight versus the maximum protection in a more cumbersome ensemble. Hell maybe this is my version of 3/4's and a long coat!!

FyredUp
    Last edited by FyredUp; 11-06-2006 at 08:56 AM. Reason: spelling

MembersZone Subscriber

We switched away from MP about the time we went to the Basofil. The MP gear was bulky and not comfortable at all. I think it was big early on when many were switching from long 35"+ coats to the tails that seemed less restrictive. Admittedly, I have not tried a set of MP gear with newr liners and VP's but judging from what Vinnie and guys are saying, I don't need to. We'll stick with the Globe as we not had this many personnel so happy with gear ever.

Similar here 'cept it's GX7 in Millenia.Doesn't "breathe"quite as well but that outer wears like iron.Crew complaints are down to zip since we made the change.But the original query was on Viking wear,I submit that factor will be based on the materials you select(outers,inners)and the type and frequency of the runs you make.Lots of MVA's,few fires you might want a different outer than if you do a boatload of Fire and not so much other stuff.Loook at your options carefully,how you select radically affects wear and protection values.Used to be pretty easy,not so anymore. T.C.

Spack,did you guys decide on your gear yet? T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sure did!

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101
    Spack,did you guys decide on your gear yet? T.C.
    Sure did, we decided a few months ago...I dunno if I posted it, but you can view it online on my site:

We finally decided to go with the Janesville V-Force brand of gear and Pbi Matrix.

A few notes, we found that integrated harness solutions were very bulky with the Morning Pride solution, and Globe abandoned any harness solutions. So it widdled down to a Janesville harness option.

We found that their design is nearly transparent to the firefighter in donning his gear and also using it. That, in addition to very favorable feedback (as you can see in the report), was one of the reasons we choose to purchase the V-Force solution.

Any questions, just let me know.

Regards,

Richard M. Spackmann
    Fire Commissioner
    Greenfield Fire District
    http://www.RichardSpackmann.com

I will agree that the Basofil is a poor outer shell, we'e torn the heck out of the stuff that we bought with Basofil outer shells. I think a good part of our problem with Basofil is the builder of the gear we have that used it. As long as I handle the turnout gear in my department, we will never again order Basofil or Securitex. I'm ready to dispose of four or five year old Securitex that saw littlle use, and I have Globe from 1999 that is holding up very well that I hand out to recruits and other new folks until they get a custom set.

Obviously the PBI derivatives are good stuff, but don't look past Millenia. We liked the warranty of the product after our Basofil fiasco, and the stuff has held up very well for us. I've got about 90% of our folks now in Millenia shelled stuff, all Globe [edit Cairns - same difference] (some Reaxtion, some the generation prior) and I'm very happy with the stuff.
    Last edited by npfd801; 11-06-2006 at 05:56 PM.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

MembersZone Subscriber

Nice report sir.

Had Bristol 8 years no problems, just started to switch to Viking. Like them both.

Commish what were the wear problems? We have lost some knees over the last few years but not much else.
    Last edited by CaptainS; 11-06-2006 at 04:55 PM.
    "Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself."

We're going on 3 yrs in the Millenia(mine 5).Let me know in 3 or 4 how the Matrix is holding up.Initial test results look good.We've got a few guys with harnesses but I feel your pain on the Globe "solution".Globe for us is a natural, both our dealer and the factory are about 1.5 hrs away.So that was a contributing factor along with a prior good experience.Good luck and may the "force"be with you,hehe T.C.

Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101
    Similar here 'cept it's GX7 in Millenia.Doesn't "breathe"quite as well but that outer wears like iron.Crew complaints are down to zip since we made the change.But the original query was on Viking wear,I submit that factor will be based on the materials you select(outers,inners)and the type and frequency of the runs you make.Lots of MVA's,few fires you might want a different outer than if you do a boatload of Fire and not so much other stuff.Loook at your options carefully,how you select radically affects wear and protection values.Used to be pretty easy,not so anymore. T.C.
    The Millenia takes a while to break in. Haven't been too impressed with the workmanship of our GX-7 Globe gear. I'm constantly finding threads coming undone. Millenia is tops in the abrasion test. I guess if I ever come up against a crazy guy with a belt sander, I'm all set
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber
    Clay, West Virigina, United States of America

Default Never heard of Viking but we Love our new NexGen Globe

We purchased new Globe NexGen gear about 1 year ago, and I have had 3 different sets of gear since i've been in the department cheiftan, inotex, and then our globe.

Our department will never change brands this stuff is light, durable as hell, and has took a beating, (well my gear has anyway) call globe and ask them for finley fire equipments, mineral wells spec gear that stuff is loaded to the hilt with top notch tech. all except for the dragonhide knee and elbow protection that cameout 3 months after our purchase. I hold my life to the gear as I fell through a floor earlier in the year and me nor my gear suffered any injury, also we had a propane fire in which there was propane tank hid in a closet with a house on fire and the tank popped of and I'm still here today, thanks to globe gear, we all returned home without a burnt or damaged gear.

Globe stands by having some of the best gear out there, granted its not cheap, but will say it has saved my life.

Hehe,Yep you're right.This last batch is considerably better than my set was.Take it out of the box and pitch it into the Unimac.We haven't experienced any stitching issues with ours,except for mine that got a little too close to a leaking battery. Don't rule out the sander thing, the nutcase level isn't diminishing. T.C.

Thread Information