Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Sprinkler/Standpipe connections

I am curious to know what your SOP's are regarding what gets hooked up first, the Standpipe or the Sprinkler connection? If one of the FDNY guys could chime in, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CTJAKE
    I am curious to know what your SOP's are regarding what gets hooked up first, the Standpipe or the Sprinkler connection? If one of the FDNY guys could chime in, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
    There was a heated debate on this subject some time ago...

Here is what you are looking for Engine Co. Operations Chapters 9 & 10.

FDNY Standpipe Operations Chapter 9
    FDNY Sprinkler Operations Chapter 10

FTM-PTB

Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    There was a heated debate on this subject some time ago...

Here is what you are looking for Engine Co. Operations Chapters 9 & 10.

FDNY Standpipe Operations Chapter 9
    FDNY Sprinkler Operations Chapter 10

FTM-PTB
    Heated debate on the forums??? I don't believe it!
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

The standpipe is supplied first.

There is no reason to rely on a sprinkler system after we have arrived. It has or has not done it's job at that point and we are now the primary fire suppression system. Once a positive supply of water is fed to the standpipe, a second line should augment the sprinkler siamese. This should be from a second engine in the event numerous heads have fused so not to rob water from the handline(s).

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Standpipe or FDC

Normally, how I do it is that I'll hook-up to the FDC while the FFs are grabbing the equipment for the standpipe connection. I can connect to both before they are ready and calling for water probably about 99% of the time. We have some buildings that are too large to do that, so what we do is I'll support the standpipe and then tell the Second Due Engine to catch the FDC.

To be honest, I'll allow the situation to dictate my order..... if light smoke showing then I'll go with the FDC since the sprinklers are holding the fire in check. If heavy smoke, I'll go with the standpipe since a handline is going to supply a lot more water than a few sprinklers will.

I hope this makes sense to ya.......
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

We have only 1 building with a sprinkler system here and we do not have an SOP on who catches it. That would be a command decision if and when we ever have a fire in that one building.

On my old department (and the previous one as well), both which had a fair number of multi-story or large commercial, hotel and office properties, the SOP was for the 3rd engine in to hit the standpipe and sprinkler connections. First due went to the fire area and second due supplied the first due w/ tank water and laid a supply line to it. 4th due was assigned to lay a line and supply 3rd due (sprinkler/standpipe engine) if needed.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Wish we had the manpower.....

LaFireEducator,
    That is great you have all that manpower and equipment. At my Full-time Department, we have 2 Engines and 1 Truck for initial dispatch. If we request additional resources the closest unit we have with Mutual-Aid is 40 mins. away...... So we really have to "Cowboy Up" and multi-task, but we make it work and it works well.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

Mikey ..

It would take time to get those resources there. We were a vollie department with 3 stations that could get 2 engines out daytime with maybe a third on a good day. We had 2 other departments running automatic mutual aid with us on all daytime alarms that would fill the card with one engine each, plus an aerial. Total time to get all 4 engines on scene was about 10-13 minutes during the day.

Evenings we could generally get all 4 engines to cover all the assignments (plus a fifth) out ourselves, but we still had the 2 engines/1 truck auto mutual aid anyway, so evenings we were in pretty good shape.

CT ... jjust to answer your original question. In the districts I discussed we had very few (actually only 2) buildings with seperate sprinkler and standpipe connections. Other than the 2 buildings with the seperate connections, the sprinkler and standpipes systems worked off the same intake connection. In the 2 cases where the connections were seperate, we would always make the sprinkler first, then the standpipe, but they were side-by-side and supplied by the same engine and hydrant, so the time between the two lines being charged was only 20-40 seconds.

Honestly, we didn't do it very much. We only had 1-2 fires a year in buildings with sprinkler systems, and in all cases but one in my almost 20 years there, the sprinkler system extingushed the fire before our arrival.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 11-03-2006 at 09:26 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

It all depends on the type of system (noted on preplan). If the sprinkler system is working good then help it out and hook up to the fdc first.
    If the standpipe is the type that is dry till the FD hooks up hook up to it. Both should be hooked up to because you will need both.
    J
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Thread Information