Forum Member

Default Lighting question for NYS

As a volly I know the NYS VTL 1 light 360 degrees... etc Now I know it says that but why cant you run a blue dashmaster, and strobes in your tail lights. The lights are facing the rear, and in my opinion it tells the operator behind you to stay back, and you might be stoping at any given moment. Or if your at a scene and first on the scene it gives you some SCENE LIGHTING which is important. As I see it as an EMT and firefighter if my Dpet is dispatched to a call that is closer to my home then the Station and I get there first. I wanna be safe. Scene saftey is No. 1 yes I have flares but thats why me and some other run amber in the front also, along with amber in the rear. So when I get to the scene I can throw those on and be some what safe. Does anybody agree? I mean Im not getting out of my POV if the scene isnt safe and risken my life, 2 injured is worst than one injured. I rather get the ticket than not be safe, no one seems to have a problem with it. I also run the amber in the front along with the blue so on those foggy days (FYI amber will project the farthest than anyother color) I can be seen better when responding to the station or scene.

Forum Member

why don't you just get a full sized light bar and attach it to the roof or your car? it would allow excelent visibilty from all sides.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Oh here we go again.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

OK, and your point is what exactly? The law is the law, if you don't like it then lobby to have it changed. If the cops in your area don't care how many lights you run, good for you. If they ticket you one day, that's the chance you take, simple as that.

Forum Member

Just run amber to the rear if you're that worried no law against that, when you park turn your wheels away from the scene so if some idiot does it you then you don't create another accident in the scene. I've never had a problem with that and 4 ways on (once parked).

If I'm looking for a house, I turn the 4 ways on when I slow down and if they get that close to me they can read the FD Plates on the car and figure it out. Remember if someone rear-ends you its "their" fault for following to closely.

Strobes in the taillights are for people who can run RLAS. No need to confuse the public even more so...

I used to run the dept issued gum ball light, then switched to the dash light. It just means to cross the main drag I have to wait at the light/s, it wasn't worth the few secs to gain with the gumball and coming off of a side street. Usually once someone realizes your're asking for "right of way" the other side doesn't and you risk an accident.

Took 2 years to figure that one out but most calls those few secs to safely wait at the light rather than fight traffic isn't worth it.

I do wonder now that NYSP has blue to the rear, if it will get respect back.

On a side note this news video
    http://www.wicu12.com/news/index.vnss?newsid=2432

I was surprised to hear PA Ambulance crews saying NY drivers yield better.

No matter how many lights you run people are just in a hurry or don't care.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default what is the question?

Quote Originally Posted by Chauffer6
    OK, and your point is what exactly? The law is the law, if you don't like it then lobby to have it changed. If the cops in your area don't care how many lights you run, good for you. If they ticket you one day, that's the chance you take, simple as that.
    I agree....what is the purpose of this question?

There are many volunteers in my department who run full bar lights, LED grill lights, strobe bar lights, strobe grill lights, strobe headlights, strobe turn signals, strobe rear brake lights, strobe/LED rear deck lights....if you name it, someone in my district runs it.

Blue lights are like anything else in life, if you abuse them - you will be spanked. We have a great relationship with local troopers and sheriffs - I would suggest that you work that up with your local law enforcements if you find them working the law "to the letter."

Almost everyone has come to the same conclusion that the NYS Blue Light law is ridiculous - I don't believe there are any manufacturers who even make lights that qualify for the NYS blue light code, if you look at the candlelight requirements - most manufacturers are in the million range.

I do know that some have suggested that the blue light law be changed - even to allow volunteers to run sirens. I guess the point is that the law is fairly ridiculous and at the very least outdated.

Be that as it may, as long as you don't abuse it, law enforcement will leave you alone.

Regards,

Richard M. Spackmann
    Fire Commissioner
    Greenfield Fire District
    http://www.RichardSpackmann.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by spackmann
    Almost everyone has come to the same conclusion that the NYS Blue Light law is ridiculous - I don't believe there are any manufacturers who even make lights that qualify for the NYS blue light code, if you look at the candlelight requirements - most manufacturers are in the million range.
    Actually, they did away with that arcane 32 candlepower limit for blue lights.

S 375. Equipment.
    2. (a) 4. (c) No lamp shall be used on a motor vehicle having a light source
    greater than thirty-two candle power, unless such lamp is approved by
    the commissioner as provided by this section. The provisions of this
    paragraph shall not apply to any light which is permitted to be
    displayed only on an authorized emergency vehicle, a hazard vehicle or a
    vehicle which is permitted to display a blue light pursuant to paragraph
    four of subdivision forty-one of this section.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is pretty well off topic, but since the forum is screwing up again and I can't start a new thread I'm attaching it to this one.

I was passing through NY the other day for thanksgiving and saw something that made me scratch my head. I saw red lights on some POV's. Not many mind you, but about 5-6 on our 5 hour trip from VT to Watertown. I've been under the impression that vollies can only run blue on their POV's. What's with the red?

BTW I'm 99.99999999999999999999999999999% sure they were not cops. If the department has to have a minivan with a mini lightbar on it then they really need some funding big time.
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

Forum Member

Could've been a Chief in a POV. Doesn't matter what they're driving, by State Law they're authorized to use red lights and sirens. Quite a few guys I know have red lights in their own and their spouse's POVs for when they're not using their dept issued vehicle.

Could also be Captains of volunteer ambulance corps you saw.

OR (depending on where exactly in NYS you were) Hatzolah EMS. If you were downstate, around Westchester/Rockland/Orange/Sullivan, and you saw these red lights on primarily minivans, it was probably Hatzolah you were seeing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Chiefs/First Responders Authorized to run Redlights

Quote Originally Posted by needlejockey
    I was passing through NY the other day for thanksgiving and saw something that made me scratch my head. I saw red lights on some POV's. Not many mind you, but about 5-6 on our 5 hour trip from VT to Watertown. I've been under the impression that vollies can only run blue on their POV's. What's with the red?
    In NYS, chiefs and any one else so designated can run red lights in the fire department. Most of the time, they are placed on their POV's simply 'cause most departments do not have chief vehicles.

Additionally, in Saratoga County for example there is a Saratoga County Cause and Origin team - where there are "county cars" licensed to run red lights and sirens and respond to structure fires where C&O is required.

On the EMS side its allowed to ambulance corps. to allow members to be "first responders" - which means they must care a certain amount of medical equipment, and run red lights and sirens to a medical emergency.

I hope that clears things up

Regards,

Richard M. Spackmann
    Fire Commissioner
    Greenfield Fire District
    http://www.RichardSpackmann.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks guys, that actually clears up a lot. I figured as much about the chiefs, but the first responders info is news to me.
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

Thread Information