Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PM Schedules

Default PM Schedules

How often do you mechanically PM your apparatus?

I'm looking for a mechanic checking the brakes, etc. Not the weekly/biweekly engineer's checks.

Thanks

Forum Member

Default Inspection

I recall that in New Jersey they did away with state inspection for larger trucks in the early '70s, and went over to "Self Inspection" reinforced by DMV roadside inspections. I presume that they don't stop fire apparatus for roadsides.

In Pennsylvania, we still have state inspection, and it applies to fire apparatus. The only difference is that large highway trucks are done every six months, but fire apparatus can go a year. Given the usage level of vehicles in our department, that seems adequate.

I do periodic service on the vehicles and it's done at a different time. Although I'm not licensed as an inspector, I'm familiar with the procedures and apply them at the time I'm doing servicing. Between them we catch pretty much everything, but it seems like no matter how much you look, you still get that occasional "surprise."

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

Well, one of the issues i'm concerned about is that we are finding some of our apparatus brakes are out of adjustment in between the annual mech pm.

In next years budget I have requested more $$ to do an additional Mech PM.

It's rough when you have a big piece of equipment with soft brakes!

Forum Member

That's an item that does need frequent attention if you have a moderate to heavy run load. If your vehicles have air brakes and do not have Automatic Slack Adjusters, someone that is familiar with adjusting air brakes needs to be under there every month or so checking them. It's a simple enough procedure, but it has to be done right. Also, that person will come back out from under the truck dirty and greasy.

If the trucks have ASAs and you're having this problem, the ASAs aren't working. They must be replaced. I replaced a pair recently. The parts, which are readily available, cost me about $160 for the pair, plus my time to change them out.

Manually adjusting ASAs is not hard but it is somewhat more involved. It's not a good substitute for replacing them.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home.

Forum Member

Default pm

We set a schedule that follows our particular usage and found that the rescues needed a PM every two months, pumpers every three and aerials every 6 months. Everything is performed at the annual while only an LOF is performed in between. All items are checked at each interval and brakes are one of the key areas checked. If it needs a brake job it is done and we replace the shoes or pads and the brake drums or calipers along with seals and spring kits etc. Safety above all else. You can either make your own schedule or follow the manufactures recommendations.

Forum Member

We have a PM done every 150 Engine hours, usually every 6-8 weeks. Some of the slower departments have them done as needed. We like the 150 hours due to the fact that if something isn't working just right(we run E-Ones, so thats frequent), we dont have to wait to long to have it fixed.

We have PMs done on front line Engines, Trucks and Ambulances at 300 hours. This includes LOF, brake inspection and visual inspection on all driveline and steering components. Gear oil, trans fluid and filters are changed annually. Trucks have hydraulic oil and filters changed annually, same for PTO hydraulic generators. Reserve units get at least an annual PM. Gensets for ambulances get LOF at 150 hours per Onan with periodic service performed when required per Onan (valve lash, etc) .

We budget for all units to get 4 PMs per year... so busy units will use the PMs that slow units don't.

Forum Member

Default maint

Gee, I think I am overdoing my maintenance after reading the posts. I go every piece we have at least twice a month (2005 Seagrave Eng & 1995 e-One Hvy Rescue).

When i say go over, I mean front to back, top to bottom, inside and out, every single fluid, pressure level, tool, etc...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by drivin25 View Post
    Gee, I think I am overdoing my maintenance after reading the posts. I go every piece we have at least twice a month (2005 Seagrave Eng & 1995 e-One Hvy Rescue).

When i say go over, I mean front to back, top to bottom, inside and out, every single fluid, pressure level, tool, etc...
    Keep on keeping on! How many UPS trucks do you see on the side of the road?

Our apparatus are checked by an engineer twice a month (as you said), what I was looking for was a more definitive check (brakes, change fluids, etc).

Thanks

Thread Information