Forum Member

Hi Brandon,

I don't know much about the New Jersey or New York area, what I do know is it is pretty difficult to get on most departments in New Jersey without having residency prior to your application. There are probably some paramedic jobs that you could get with transport ambulances or hospitals. Before I make my next suggestion I need to tell you the rumors I have heard about it are that this job is not the greatest and that is joining the FDNY ems. (Again I have no first hand knowledge) From what I understand they pay their medics/emts horrible, hours aren't good, you have to sit in an ambulance all day while not on runs. But if you are desperate it beats nothing. On the bright side you said that you applied for FDNY. You can use that to your advantage and try and receive residency points for the test which would help you immensely for the fire test. I don't know how many New Jersey/New York people are on this part of the boards so you may want to try posting on a board with more people from thoses areas.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Can anyone help me?

Hello to all, my name is Brandon...I am a fulltime firefighter/paramedic for the City of Hillsboro in Ohio. My fiance recently moved to NYC for a new career and I am trying to find a job in NJ or NY. I have already signed up for FDNY's test, but does anyone know of anyone else hiring? I have searched the internet for days and have had no success. The problem is, I know absolutely nothing about that area so I don't even know the good departments to look at. Someone please help! Thanks and stay safe!

Brandon

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Thank you for the advice! I did not know that....I have been in contact with a Batt Chief from FDNY and he told me the same things about their EMS. He said that if I am willing to put up with the EMS for a while...it will be a foot in the door for the fire side. Once again I thank you for the kind advice it is greatly appreciated! Thanks and stay safe!

Brandon

Forum Member

If you are willing to work as a paramedic until you get hired, you should try some of the voluntary hospitals in NYC. They pay better and tend to have better equipment than FDNY EMS. It also makes for a good side job once you get onto FD. You can get more info from:

http://www.nycremsco.org/

Also try NY Hospital, they are currently expanding their service and will probably need to hire more medics. I believe starting salary is around $25/hour. They have 911 and transport units.

http://www.nyp.org/careers/job_ops/h...&type2=3Active

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Thank you very much PK5343!

Brandon

Thread Information