Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Exclamation Right Angle Light Or Traditional Light??

I am a new firefighter, and I am shopping for a light to carry in my bunker pants pocket or clipped on my jacket. I was wondering if anyone could inform me about the advantages/ disadvantages of a right angle light compared to a traditional flashlight? I am considering the Pelican Big ED 3700 (alkaline) or the Pelican Steathlite 2400, but this is based solely on internet research. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am new to this forum and I could not find anything else on this topic, but I apologize if I am asking something that has already been answered. Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

John Tomasulo

Forum Member

What you're calling a "right angle" light is meant to hang from the front of your coat, if you have the necessary attachments on the coat to hang it. This allows for hands-free operation, at least directly in front of you. Most traditional flashlights will tie up one hand or have to be carried on a sling, which can be less stable than the alternative. I like the "right angles," and we use them (although we use the Survivors rather than Pelicans, but it's just a matter of personal preference).

Forum Member

You don't know how big a can of worms you just opened,do you?
    Okay,my choices are the Pelican line of lights.Currently,I have a Little Ed light and have been stacking quarters,nickels dimes and pennies to get a Big Ed.The one local place I've found sells at a higher price that the net so I'll go with cheaper.
    Any company like Streamlight,Pelican or Survivor will serve you well.It's all like the Chevy/Ford argument.Everyone has their favorite and everyone hates a particular brand for whatever reason(s).
    I would advise a rechargeable light and that you spring for extra batteries to leave on charge and rotate out to keep them from farbling up and dying when you sorely need light.It's also best to heed the warranty where it specifies not using rechargeable AA type batteries in the Little Ed light.They don't last as long and as mentioned above will dim out when you badly need as bright a light as you can get.BTDT.Hated it.
    Remember Murphy's Laws?They apply especially to firefighters.
    As to mounts,I like the light on my turnout coat but others in my old department had theirs helmet mounted.Just remember if you go that route,whenever you look someone in the eye,you'll be shining your light there and ruining their night vision.
    Either method works well,but like I said about brands,it's largely a matter of preference.See what works for you before sticking with anything permenently.
    Good luck with it.
    Last edited by doughesson; 11-10-2006 at 10:28 AM.

As Doug said, remember Murphy!

Carry at least 2 lights, one on your turnouts and one in a pocket. Can be different brands of course, but ideally they should take the same sized batteries. (makes it easier to resupply).

Brands are a personal preference - Me, I like the Pelican (gotta love the guarantee! - "The guarantee does not cover shark bite, bear attack and children under five.")
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    You don't know how big a can of worms you just opened,do you?...Any company like Streamlight,Pelican or Survivor will serve you well.It's all like the Chevy/Ford argument.Everyone has their favorite and everyone hates a particular brand for whatever reason(s).
    I didn't realize anybody wasted their time fighting over handlight brands...as long as they charge and turn on when you need them (which they all pretty much do), who really gives a crap?? We have Survivors because a dealer we like to work with sold Survivors years ago when we started issuing personal lights. Now, we have a bunch of them and the 6-light block chargers, so there's no reason to change. If the guy had sold Pelican, we'd probably have those. I don't see any particular difference, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladder8
    Carry at least 2 lights, one on your turnouts and one in a pocket.
    That's a fair point, which I didn't realy think to mention. I've always regarded the smaller personal lights to be secondary...any team off of one of our rigs would have at least a Litebox with them in addition to their personals. Probably more than one.

Will this start another argument?? Are there people who are positively passionate about their apparatus-mounted rechargeables, too??

Good grief.

Me- Been using the Streamlight Survivor for years now and LOVE IT! Please ask me anyother questiosn...Bou

Here is your link- http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=20

Forum Member

Thanks for your posts. I am siding towards purchasing a right angle light, especially after reading the replies above. My biggest concern, though, and the only reason I did not already buy a right angle is that I have heard from a few firefighters that they hated their right angle lights because they always got in the way of their SCBA straps. Has anyone ever had this problem? Thank you very much.

mtrjt1- Sorry my above answer was so short. I was in a rush.

Again, I LOVE my right angled Streamlight. I am able to quickly activate it during T/Cs (traffic collisions), P/T assessments, S&R and I find myself using it alot inside a home chasing "smells and bells".

As for it interferring with my SCBA, I havent had a problem. I am sure there could and will be problems, but I just dont remember any of them right now.

As for the battery on my Streamlight, it just never seems to die out. I dont know why, but the recharables last a long time. As for the durability, same. No problems.

I am really into flashlights and this one is in my opinion one of the best. I hope I gave you enough information. Please contact me you need more...Bou

Forum Member

CALFFBOU, thanks for your posts.

Sorry to be such a pain, but I have one more question. I just read a different thread discussing right angle lights getting in the way when crawling around in a structure fire. Has anyone experienced this problem or any other issues with right angle lights? Thanks.

I like the ol regular flashlights............I use a rechargeable Streamlight Polystinger Yellow and in my pants I have a 3 "D" cell red Maglight.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Quote Originally Posted by mtrjt1
    CALFFBOU, thanks for your posts.

Sorry to be such a pain, but I have one more question. I just read a different thread discussing right angle lights getting in the way when crawling around in a structure fire. Has anyone experienced this problem or any other issues with right angle lights? Thanks.
    I havent had an issue with this, but then again, I havent been crwling around much. If I needed to, I would just take the Survivor out of my pocket and use it like a regular flashlight.

Again, still love it.

Some Guy

Get the Survior LED. Unbelivable light.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

I never really considered LED's, KyleWickman. I have heard they are good at cutting smoke, but don't have much throw. Anyone know anything about LED's? Do they have good throw/comparable brigthness when compared with incandescents?

Some Guy

The new Survior LED has great throw. We were comparing it with the other one and were shocked at how well they work. There is no "dark" spot in the middle. When you shine it on the wall there is also a much larger area lit up with a really bright center. During the day light it does not seem bright, but when you use it at night it is amazing.
    At my side job I sell the Streamlight brand and other Motorola batteries and stuff. If you have any questions private message me. I don't want to break forum rules.
    This space for rent

Thread Information