Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default For my Comrades in Arms

While I know that I am a day early, I will be recovering from will likely be a helacious overnight shift tomorrow, I wanted to wish all the best to my fellow Veterans.

Between us we have fought and served in wars and skirmishes. We have served in peace and war.

Just wanted to say thank you to my fellow Vets as well.

Raise a glass of your favorite liquid tomorrow to our brothers and sisters, alive and dead, home and abroad. Toast our freedom, our sacrificie, their sacrifice, and to good times, and memories that are good and bad.

And, of course, to use one of my favorite quotes (emphasis added):

Once more into the breech, dear friends, once more
    Or close the wall up with our English dead!
    In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility;
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
    Disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage;
    Then lend the eye a terrible aspect

That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
    Let him depart; his passport shall be made
    And crowns for convoy put into his purse:
    We would not die in that man's company
    That fears his fellowship to die with us.

This day is call'd the feast of Crispian:
    He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
    Will stand a tip-toe when this day is named,
    And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
    He that shall live this day, and see old age,
    Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
    And say, "Tomorrow is Saint Crispian":
    Then will strip his sleeve and show his scars,
    And say, "These wounds I had on Crispin's day."

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile
    This day shall gentle his condition:
    And gentlemen in England now a-bed
    Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap while any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

King Henry
    in William Shakespeare's
    King Henry the Fifth (1599)
    Last edited by DaSharkie; 11-10-2006 at 11:43 AM.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

OOOOOOHRAH!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I had a very similar thread in mind when I saw DaSharkie - G.M.T.A Canada is getting ready to celebrate Rememberance Day tomorrow (11 November) and the Embassy is hosting a small ceremony here on the Embassy grounds, followed by another one at Arlington Cemetary, at General Pershings grave site.

The PIO staff here presented a video in memory of some of our troops who have given the Ultimate in Afghanistan, its roughly a 7 minute video. The link to it is at www.canadianally.com/ca/news-en.asp and can be seen on the left side bar. Unfortunately I can't link it any better than this because of course those bleed'n firewalls. I can only say I hope it links in properly.

Take care 'n stay safe out there this Veterans Day, and Rememberance Day.

Ooooohrah!! Awesome post Sharkie. To all of our Brothers and Sisters that have served in any branch, I offer my most heartfelt respect and thanks.

"TO OUR ABSENT BROTHERS"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They finished a fine noble monument in our town the other day.
    It glistens bright on the village green, in prominent display.

It's a grand and noble structure raised by a grateful land.
    Yet I recall a simpler one of steel and wood and sand.

I kept my eyes on our point man. He was the first to go down.
    I saw how the bullets spun him and slammed him to the ground.

That night seemed to last forever, but it finally came to an end.
    And no longer were some strangers, for each was the others best friend.

I looked over at the captain, and he silently answered me.
    And he took my arm and nodded, then turned so I couldn't see.

So I walked back to our point man, to the place where I saw him fall.
    For dawn had brought with it a quiet, with the peace of God and all.

And I covered him with a poncho, and then to be sure he'd be found,
    I fixed bayonet to rifle, and shoved it in the ground.

There wasn't much more anyone could do. My tribute seemed a trifle.
    So I picked a battered helmet up and placed it on the rifle.

Long years have passed since I saw him fall that cold and frightful night.
    Now his name is carved in marble, but something didn't set right.

The helmet on the rifle seemed a far more fitting shrine.
    For the rifle was my brother's, and the helmet, it was mine.

Author Unknown

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

MembersZone Subscriber RoughRider's Avatar

Thank You and God bless you all.
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

While reading a book last night on Corpsmen and medical personnel's actions in combat, I came across this Medal of Honor citation. Awarded posthumously. Freedom is not free, and the greatest of ANY generation - serve.

*SALOMON, BEN L.

Captain Ben L. Salomon was serving at Saipan, in the Marianas Islands on July 7, 1944, as the Surgeon for the 2d Battalion, 105th Infantry Regiment, 27th Infantry Division. The Regiment's 1st and 2d Battalions were attacked by an overwhelming force estimated between 3,000 and 5,000 Japanese soldiers. It was one of the largest attacks attempted in the Pacific Theater during World War II. Although both units fought furiously, the enemy soon penetrated the Battalions' combined perimeter and inflicted overwhelming casualties. In the first minutes of the attack, approximately 30 wounded soldiers walked, crawled, or were carried into Captain Salomon's aid station, and the small tent soon filled with wounded men. As the perimeter began to be overrun, it became increasingly difficult for Captain Salomon to work on the wounded. He then saw a Japanese soldier bayoneting one of the wounded soldiers lying near the tent. Firing from a squatting position, Captain Salomon quickly killed the enemy soldier. Then, as he turned his attention back to the wounded, two more Japanese soldiers appeared in the front entrance of the tent. As these enemy soldiers were killed, four more crawled under the tent walls. Rushing them, Captain Salomon kicked the knife out of the hand of one, shot another, and bayoneted a third. Captain Salomon butted the fourth enemy soldier in the stomach and a wounded comrade then shot and killed the enemy soldier. Realizing the gravity of the situation, Captain Salomon ordered the wounded to make their way as best they could back to the regimental aid station, while he attempted to hold off the enemy until they were clear. Captain Salomon then grabbed a rifle from one of the wounded and rushed out of the tent. After four men were killed while manning a machine gun, Captain Salomon took control of it. When his body was later found, 98 dead enemy soldiers were piled in front of his position. Captain Salomon's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

HAPPY 231st Birthday Sharkie........Semper Fi, ya' Big Ugly.
    IACOJ Member

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB
    HAPPY 231st Birthday Sharkie........Semper Fi, ya' Big Ugly.
    Hey! I may be ugly, but at least I am not, and was not a knuckle dragging grunt!

Semper Fi brother.

MembersZone Subscriber RoughRider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie
    While reading a book last night on Corpsmen and medical personnel's actions in combat, I came across this Medal of Honor citation. Awarded posthumously. Freedom is not free, and the greatest of ANY generation - serve.

*SALOMON, BEN L.

Captain Ben L. Salomon was serving at Saipan, in the Marianas Islands on July 7, 1944, as the Surgeon for the 2d Battalion, 105th Infantry Regiment, 27th Infantry Division. The Regiment's 1st and 2d Battalions were attacked by an overwhelming force estimated between 3,000 and 5,000 Japanese soldiers. It was one of the largest attacks attempted in the Pacific Theater during World War II. Although both units fought furiously, the enemy soon penetrated the Battalions' combined perimeter and inflicted overwhelming casualties. In the first minutes of the attack, approximately 30 wounded soldiers walked, crawled, or were carried into Captain Salomon's aid station, and the small tent soon filled with wounded men. As the perimeter began to be overrun, it became increasingly difficult for Captain Salomon to work on the wounded. He then saw a Japanese soldier bayoneting one of the wounded soldiers lying near the tent. Firing from a squatting position, Captain Salomon quickly killed the enemy soldier. Then, as he turned his attention back to the wounded, two more Japanese soldiers appeared in the front entrance of the tent. As these enemy soldiers were killed, four more crawled under the tent walls. Rushing them, Captain Salomon kicked the knife out of the hand of one, shot another, and bayoneted a third. Captain Salomon butted the fourth enemy soldier in the stomach and a wounded comrade then shot and killed the enemy soldier. Realizing the gravity of the situation, Captain Salomon ordered the wounded to make their way as best they could back to the regimental aid station, while he attempted to hold off the enemy until they were clear. Captain Salomon then grabbed a rifle from one of the wounded and rushed out of the tent. After four men were killed while manning a machine gun, Captain Salomon took control of it. When his body was later found, 98 dead enemy soldiers were piled in front of his position. Captain Salomon's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.

I have read many MOH Citations. They make me proud to be an American.

Again, thanks to all that serve or served our country.

I have the honor to work with MOH recipient Ken Jacobs. He is a true hero and gentleman.

JACOBS, JACK H.

Rank and organization: Captain, U.S. Army, U.S. Army Element, U.S. Military Assistance Command, Republic of Vietnam. Place and date: Kien Phong Province, Republic of Vietnam, 9 March 1968. Entered service at: Trenton, N.J. Born: 2 August 1945, Brooklyn, N.Y. Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Capt. Jacobs (then 1st Lt.), Infantry, distinguished himself while serving as assistant battalion advisor, 2d Battalion, 16th Infantry, 9th Infantry Division, Army of the Republic of Vietnam. The 2d Battalion was advancing to contact when it came under intense heavy machine gun and mortar fire from a Viet Cong battalion positioned in well fortified bunkers. As the 2d Battalion deployed into attack formation its advance was halted by devastating fire. Capt. Jacobs, with the command element of the lead company, called for and directed air strikes on the enemy positions to facilitate a renewed attack. Due to the intensity of the enemy fire and heavy casualties to the command group, including the company commander, the attack stopped and the friendly troops became disorganized. Although wounded by mortar fragments, Capt. Jacobs assumed command of the allied company, ordered a withdrawal from the exposed position and established a defensive perimeter. Despite profuse bleeding from head wounds which impaired his vision, Capt. Jacobs, with complete disregard for his safety, returned under intense fire to evacuate a seriously wounded advisor to the safety of a wooded area where he administered lifesaving first aid. He then returned through heavy automatic weapons fire to evacuate the wounded company commander. Capt. Jacobs made repeated trips across the fire-swept open rice paddies evacuating wounded and their weapons. On 3 separate occasions, Capt. Jacobs contacted and drove off Viet Cong squads who were searching for allied wounded and weapons, single-handedly killing 3 and wounding several others. His gallant actions and extraordinary heroism saved the lives of 1 U.S. advisor and 13 allied soldiers. Through his effort the allied company was restored to an effective fighting unit and prevented defeat of the friendly forces by a strong and determined enemy. Capt. Jacobs, by his gallantry and bravery in action in the highest traditions of the military service, has reflected great credit upon himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army.
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

Default Not much else to say but...

Thank-you to all current and veteran members of our Armed Forces.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Ake Ake, Kia Kaha.
    (For ever and ever, Be Strong)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

These Medal of Honor recipients are the most humble of men. Getting one to talk about their actions is difficult. They do nothing but belittle their own actions and speak of how great the actions of the men and women around them was.

Most of us are not fit to carry their bags. Myself included.

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    Hey Malahat, last year you posted a link to the video on that same page "A Pittance of Time."

Still love watching that one. Have it saved on my hard drive.

Makes me livid when I see all of these damned ads about a "Veteran's Day Sale." ****es me off that so many think that this is all about saving money.

These Medal of Honor recipients are the most humble of men. Getting one to talk about their actions is difficult. They do nothing but belittle their own actions and speak of how great the actions of the men and women around them was.

Amen brother.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've found a lot of men who have served in combat are the same nature. My grandfather served in the 27th ID in WWII. He would never discuss the things he saw while in the service, no matter how much I asked. I heard only two stories; one in which a Japanese grenade hit his leg, allowing him enough time to throw it away from him before it went off (on Saipan) and one where an ammo dump blew up near him (on Okinawa), injuring him and causing him to lose hearing in one ear (like most men he fought with that were injured, he refused to be considered for the PH, I later found out).

My prayers and thanks are to those who have and still serve and their families, and to those who wish to serve in our military. I don't think enough can be said about these men who go where no one else wants to go, to do a job that no one else wants to do.
    Last edited by Catch22; 11-10-2006 at 08:10 PM.

Hey! I may be ugly, but at least I am not, and was not a knuckle dragging grunt!

Semper Fi brother.
    Hey! Hey!....is that in insult????? Everyone wishes to be an 03walk-a-lot
    IACOJ Member

Well. The day is here. We are assembling here in the Embassy to pay tribute to those who made the Greatest and most Humbling Sacrifice that one human can give to another.

Sharkie, I'm glad you like the link. We were reminded of that one again this year, through email. As for the new video, we all assembled in the theater yesterday to view it for the first time....... there wasn't a lot of talk or discussion as we all walked out at the end. "Moving" was the only descriptor I've heard so far.
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 11-11-2006 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22
    I've found a lot of men who have served in combat are the same nature. My grandfather served in the 27th ID in WWII. He would never discuss the things he saw while in the service, no matter how much I asked. I heard only two stories; one in which a Japanese grenade hit his leg, allowing him enough time to throw it away from him before it went off (on Saipan) and one where an ammo dump blew up near him (on Okinawa), injuring him and causing him to lose hearing in one ear (like most men he fought with that were injured, he refused to be considered for the PH, I later found out).
    Catch22,

My grandmother's late boyfriend (of 7 years; for all intents and purposes, he was our grandfather) also served in the 27th on all of those same places. My father's father also served in those places, but with the 305 Regiment, 77th Infantry Division. He carried shrapnel in his leg from Okinawa till the day he died. I actually got to visit many of those battle sites when I was stationed back in Okinawa a few years ago.

God bless all my brothers and sisters in uniform and most especially those in harms way.

Thomas T. Warshaw III, SSgt, USAF
    Shaw AFB, SC
    Tom Warshaw
    Station 13 (Bethel)
    Sumter Fire Department

"Scientists believe that the world is composed mainly of hydrogen because in their opinion, it is the most abundant element. I however, feel the earth is composed mainly of stupidity, because it is more abundant than hydrogen." - Frank Zappa

September 11, 2001. We Must Never Forget.

In memory of Thomas Sabella, L-13, FDNY

All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my department or any organization I may belong to.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB
    Hey! Hey!....is that in insult????? Everyone wishes to be an 03walk-a-lot
    Not me.I shipped in the Navy in a destroyer.We carried our bunks and mess table into battle with us instead of on our backs.
    Actually,the worst I had was patrolling 32 degrees,30 minutes North latitude in the Mediterranean to show Mommar Ghaddaffi what he was full of.39 days of Dog Zebra,GQ calls every 8 hours whether anything was happening or not makes you wish something would happen,even if you don't want it to when it does.

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    Not me.I shipped in the Navy in a destroyer.We carried our bunks and mess table into battle with us instead of on our backs.
    Actually,the worst I had was patrolling 32 degrees,30 minutes North latitude in the Mediterranean to show Mommar Ghaddaffi what he was full of.39 days of Dog Zebra,GQ calls every 8 hours whether anything was happening or not makes you wish something would happen,even if you don't want it to when it does.

Hmm I can sympathize with that and my tour of the Arabian Gulf 2001/02. Iranian Air Force P3 liked to "buzz" us with full radars each evening around 1630 or so. But the worst time was with their gunboats chasing us around. Seems we "impinged upon their sensativities" by shadowing a vessel of interest that chose to stay just inside Iranian soverign waters for its transit up the Gulf.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information