MembersZone Subscriber

Default Nashville Paramedics

Hey everyone,

I work for a large fire dept as a Paramedic however my fiance and I want to relocate to Nashville. We went there for a little vacation last summer and fell in love with the area. I can read about the benefits and pay on the Nashville.gov website however I am not sure if Nashville is a good place to work for retirement and for family.

I see that they are accepting applications again so I will be applying. One of my main questions is how the turnover rate is on Paramedics/EMTs? Unfortunatly in my city we have a very high turnover rate on EMS employees. Also how does the fire department treat its EMS employees?

Any imput would be appreciated.

Thanks again

my email is firefighter3234@aol.com
    Last edited by medicff32; 11-11-2006 at 10:05 PM.
    "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt

"What ever you do in life do it with passion and enthusiasm and you will always be a winner." Steve Irwin

Greg

Forum Member

Not a very high turnover rate from what I've seen. Within the last few years Nashville FD has been allowing some of their Paramedics from the EMS division to move over to the Fire Suppression division to make their Engine companies ALS Engines. This has opened up positions on the ambulances. I will tell you right off that the EMS division run their a**es off, particularly the downtown units. Medic 12, off of Murfressboro Rd & Polk Avenue used to be one of the busiest medic units in the country. It is probably still in the top 10 (according to Firehouse.com).

The pay is pretty much the highest in the state as far as I know for starting EMT's and Paramedics.

I am probably a little biased since I was born and raised here, but I think it's one of the greatest cities to work and live in. Over the last 10 years, the growth has been phenomenal (NFL Team, NHL Team, downtown, etc). The neighboring counties are growing at astonishing rates and the cost of living is very good compared to even LEO and FF/EMS salaries.

There are some quirks within the department, but nothing that is not tolerable. The EMS Shifts are 12 hour shifts, 4 days on, then 4 days off. The Fire Suppression side is 24/48. The Fire Suppression side is very hard to get on to and turnover is very low. Recently many have been reaching the retirement age so they've hired quite a few from both sides over the last few years. Hope this helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

Metro is a great place to work and the Nashville Metro area is a great place to live. It can be hard to get your foot in the door with them. Williamson County EMS and Rural Metro of Spring Hill are looking for Paramedics now. Both of them work 24/48.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks guys very much. Hopefully everything works out and I can get a job there. Stay safe and have a great day.
    "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."
    Franklin D. Roosevelt

"What ever you do in life do it with passion and enthusiasm and you will always be a winner." Steve Irwin

Greg

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WCENG23
    Metro is a great place to work and the Nashville Metro area is a great place to live. It can be hard to get your foot in the door with them. Williamson County EMS and Rural Metro of Spring Hill are looking for Paramedics now. Both of them work 24/48.

Any idea what Rural Metro is paying? For Emt's and Medics? Only draw back is that they only got a three year contract. But might not be bad to work for...
    FOR HE WHO SERVES HIS FELLOWS IS OF ALL HIS FELLOWS GREATEST

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by redneckemt
    Any idea what Rural Metro is paying? For Emt's and Medics? Only draw back is that they only got a three year contract. But might not be bad to work for...
    I heard it wasn't much. Williamson Co. pays better.

Forum Member

Yeah I heard the rumors $7 an hour for EMT's. Just wondering if this was true. Seems real low for Spring Hill.
    FOR HE WHO SERVES HIS FELLOWS IS OF ALL HIS FELLOWS GREATEST

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by redneckemt
    Yeah I heard the rumors $7 an hour for EMT's. Just wondering if this was true. Seems real low for Spring Hill.
    I heard the same from a couple of Franklin FF's. They advised that Spring Hill FD paid well, but Rural Metro EMS, who just received the EMS contract for Spring Hill, doesn't pay squat. My wife is currently in the application process with them and I'm telling her to hold off. Hopefully she'll hear from Nashville FD EMS in January.

Thread Information