Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Southeastern Openings

Howdy

I'm in the military, doing my second tour in Iraq. I've spoken to a few of the KBR firefighters out here about job openings after I get back next year, and they all say the same thing: "Get your paramedic certification and look into the southeastern region, they're always hiring."

A quick glance at the job postings on here suggests the same thing. Seems like the majority of jobs in GA, SC, FL, LA, etc., have no deadline, and some have been open a year or more.

I've got no problem moving to those areas if a position is available after I get out, but I'm curious as to why they're open in the first place. One poster earlier said depts in his FL area didn't make the effort to train recruits, and I suppose that would prevent new guys from sticking around if true...

Is there some reason the southeastern region appears so undesirable?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fyrboss2
    Howdy

I'm in the military, doing my second tour in Iraq. I've spoken to a few of the KBR firefighters out here about job openings after I get back next year, and they all say the same thing: "Get your paramedic certification and look into the southeastern region, they're always hiring."

A quick glance at the job postings on here suggests the same thing. Seems like the majority of jobs in GA, SC, FL, LA, etc., have no deadline, and some have been open a year or more.

I've got no problem moving to those areas if a position is available after I get out, but I'm curious as to why they're open in the first place. One poster earlier said depts in his FL area didn't make the effort to train recruits, and I suppose that would prevent new guys from sticking around if true...

Is there some reason the southeastern region appears so undesirable?

yeah....its the SE

out W is where the money is...its harder to get on though

Florida Boy!
    Missouri and Colorado but from the East Coast!

Most Depts became paid in the 80s in Fla so now some 26 years later they are seeing thair big rounds of retiremnts, also most of Fla Fire Depts provide transport, so there is the big need for medics.. not to mention the unbelivable growth Fla depts have seen, my old Dept grew from 70 to almost 300 personel in 13 years...

Florida Boy!
    Missouri and Colorado but from the East Coast!

The Fire depts are Great...... but Florida Sucks! unless you like heat, humidity, bugs, nursing home on every corner, suing attorneys, huricanes, unbelivable insurance rates, home prices and taxes...not to mention crime and ****ty schools....

MembersZone Subscriber

Im a FL fire/medic.The guy above is 100% correct! Ive been looking inot moving back north

MembersZone Subscriber

One more thing, it works a little different down here than up north. You have to put yourself through the schooling and then hope and pray you get hired on somewhere. If you dont, you are out the time and money. And I dont think FL takes many fire certs from elsewhere, I went to the academy with people who were military firefighters. I am from Boston and like the guy above stated, Florida does suck. I am just stuck here with a good fire job and a house, so moving would be alot tougher for me. Just something for you to contemplate before moving down here.

Thread Information