Thread: Hired?

Truckie

Default Hired?

Any of those from Minnesota testing in the process of getting hired anywhere? Keep us posted and Good Luck!
    Also, describe your testing experiances.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

I've tested everywhere I have been able to in MN so far, Duluth, Rochester, W.St. Paul, Richfield, Saint Paul, Minneapolis, Saint Cloud and Albert Lea. I'm still learning how to take a FD test and I'm still young (20), so I don't nessecerily expect to get hired soon, but I'm pretty close on some depts. I made it to the chief's interview in Duluth but ended up being the alternate for if someone failled their medical exam. Getting hired in MN is tough, their aren't many FT depts around so you really have to test everywhere possible to even have a small shot at getting hired in this state.

Truckie

Golzy you are correct; test, test test, especially here with the relatively few fulltime departments around. Don't forget Eau Claire or La Crosse- but I'm not sure if you need to be a medic though.
    Does that make you #1 on the list in Duluth now?
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason

MembersZone Subscriber

They said that it won't change my ranking on the list. But they also told me that in past years that the alternate from the first round is very likely to be hired in the second round of hires. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed I was told that they wil be hiring more in January, unless the city decides to cut an engine Co. or somthing like that. SPFD, what were your steps to getting hired, did you take fire science courses, join a VFD, etc? Also what is the word on when Saint Paul is going to hire more off of their list? I'm on Saint Paul's list now but that was my first test ever so I didn't do to hot and I didn't end up very high on the list, so I'm not expecting to much to happen with them.

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I made it, new SCFD recruit!

My first day is tomorrow! I tested with ST. Cloud, Mankato, Richfield and Minneapolis. St Cloud was the first department I tested with and the one that hired me. I have been in a state of shock, and donít think I will actually believe it until Monday A.M.

I consider myself very fortunate. I decided a year ago that this is the job that I wanted and did everything I could to achieve my goal.

I was #1 at Mankato and turned in my background packet 3 months ago, I just heard from them last week and informed them that I took a job with another department, so the next in line is up!

Good luck to every one!!
    St Cloud Fire Department
    Local # 1712

Truckie

variable, congrats, St. Cloud is a nice area, you should be happy in that area. Not sure about residency requirements, but if you can find a place on the Horseshoe chain, go for it. I assume you have a fire science degree as you where #1 in Mankato?
    Golzy, fire service classes only after I got on a great POC department, then continued through my appreticeship at St. Paul. Probably have enough to declare and finish now. My big boost was the vets points- even with a decent written score and a 100% on the physical, the ranking is tight.
    We just put through a class and rumor has it the chief wants another in the spring. Why, I have no idea as we are overmanned at times and they are sending guys home. So we'll see. The '80 class is at retirement age and that was a lot of people, not to mention some experianced talent. When they start to go, we will be losing alot of people and skill. So this is a good list to be on. Good luck on Duluth, you will be happy there. Don't get down listening to rumors.
    George Mason

MembersZone Subscriber

SPFDRUM, any idea when St. Paul might be testing again?

Truckie

Warrior, it has been on a 3 year cycle, 2 years civil service requirement with an additional year+ extended, then add another year of political bs... If that trend continues, it may be the late summer of "08-guessing? I wish I could be more definate, but nothing is that cut and dried, especially now.
    George Mason

MembersZone Subscriber

SPFDRUM, thanks for the information. I took the Chicago exam in May and placed competitively there. However, I'm St. Paul born and bred and I would've liked the opportunity to be a part of the SPFD (just not very good on the psychological exams they've given the last two times). Anyway, thanks again for the info. As a subnote, any word on delivery of the new engines?

MembersZone Subscriber

I just recieved my results from MPLS and I ranked 133, thats not to hot but I'll take it, does anyone know how many their gonna be hiring. I've herd different rumors, I herd they were going to take 2 classes of 20 off this list and I've also herd that their going to hire everyone they can on the list (assuming they pass the medical, pysch, and chiefs interview.

Forum Member

Default St. Paul

Hey SPFDRum,

I was unable to test this last time with St. Paul. I am currently finishing Medic school and was wondering if this helps at all on St. Paul tests in the future. Do they do testing just for fire/medics or not? Thanks!!

MembersZone Subscriber

i've got a question for guys who have been hired. say your the #1 guy. how long is it from the time you apply before you are actually working? i'm not expecting to be the #1 guy, but i just wanted to get an idea of a timeframe. also, if anybody has an idea about when rochester is hiring next, how many, etc, or just general roch info, i'd appreciate it. thanks guys.

MembersZone Subscriber

It really depends on the department. It took Mankato about 6 months to send me the background packet and I finally got a call about 3 moths after that for some more info. At the time I took the test they did not have any openings though.

I tested for St Cloud in Feb? and was called for a chiefs interview end of Sept. Took about three weeks to finish all the remaining tests and started about 2 weeks after that.
    St Cloud Fire Department
    Local # 1712

Thread Information