Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Poor driving record

Im am 23. Recieved an OWI and 2 speeding tickets at age 20 and that's the bottom line. I have a Fire associates degree and am currently enrolled in Paramedic program. I have a lot of great references including the fire dept. that I interned at for a year. My criminal record is clean. Does anyone have any experience or advice with dealing with an OWI particularly in Wisconsin? Also, is there any laws governing the operation of emergency vehicle after being convicted of an OWI. Let's say that I do an excellent job of explaining my past and how I have learned and changed from it, will a department even be able to insure me with their insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by jobdreamer
    Im am 23. Recieved an OWI and 2 speeding tickets at age 20 and that's the bottom line. I have a Fire associates degree and am currently enrolled in Paramedic program. I have a lot of great references including the fire dept. that I interned at for a year. My criminal record is clean. Does anyone have any experience or advice with dealing with an OWI particularly in Wisconsin? Also, is there any laws governing the operation of emergency vehicle after being convicted of an OWI. Let's say that I do an excellent job of explaining my past and how I have learned and changed from it, will a department even be able to insure me with their insurance?

Most departments will toss your application upon reading your back ground or when they do a record, back ground check then it would be tossed.

Too many folks out there that have a clean driving record and no OWI's, DUI's. If you don't have a restricted drivers license, that is not one that is tainted or lets you drive only to and from your work place, then most cities and or counties and departments don't need speeders or any one who can't be a good driver.
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry

You could go join the old dept. I was on!! they let people drive that had there license suspended, or heck even drive it while intoxicated ( and all that would happen to you is you get a litle slap on the wrist). I just love it that whoever can suck the chiefs %^@* better would alway's get away with it, boy is that irritating

MembersZone Subscriber

It may be tougher to get hired but assuming you just started paramedic school, which is nearly 2 years long in most places, your driving mishaps will be nearly 5 years old. Fire dept's everywhere are trying to get medics. Stay clean from here out, and apply everywhere. You'll get a job. Check out Kansas City,KS when you get your paramedic.

Forum Member

Default Thanks ehs7554

Finally! some words of encouragement! Much appreciated!

MembersZone Subscriber

Speeding tickets are not the end of the world very few people have not received at one time or other.

Explaining to decision makers that you received an OWI as an idiot immature "kid" (while underage) may be possible as is hardly unique or unusual. However it was ONLY 2years ago. You have a reasonable/convincing argument how/why you're now l grown up (ripe old age of 23) and acting like an adult? Give up on all booze/dope/___ when____?

Forum Member

Default neiowa

Ya, i mean i have definetly changed my ways and outlook on life and the importance of representing a fire department responsibly. I have a some great references from where I interned for a year and get along real well with my medic instructor. I was thinking about volunteering at some sort of alcohol and drug prevention establishment. I'm just looking for some advice to help prove that it was an isolated incident. Just a little fyi I only blew a .05 which was about two beers but since I was underage they got me and I deserved it. I think all theings happen for a reason and I feel that I am a better person because of it. Do I regret it? yes!!!

MembersZone Subscriber SIGNAL99COM's Avatar

Not all departments will write you off. I know that in the City of Syracuse, they hired a kid on paper, and right before he even started the academy, he received either or DWI or DUI. They didn't fire him, and he's on the job so I guess it happens. Good luck to you!
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry, on our Vollie dept we pull driving records for all newbies and every six months on existing members. This would definetly violate our driving policy resulting in no-hire or dismissal.
    Sorry.

Forum Member

Our EMS service will not hire you as long as the DUI is active on your driving record. We have hired persons who have a DUI history and have remained "clean" since their DUI's. They can not have a history of multiple offenses (everyone is allowed to make a mistake). Our department does random drug and alcohol screens and any employee is subject to automatic dismissal if they test positive. Any current employee who is charged with DUI is dismissed-- no questioned asked.

One thing our services (fire and EMS) need to be aware of is that as public servants we should set an example because we will be held at a higher standard by the public we serve. We should never drink and drive even if it is just one or two beers... one is too many for a person to drive... SET THE EXAMPLE.

Thread Information