Thread: Explorer Posts

Forum Member

Post Explorer Posts

I was wondering Several things about your post as research for our post....

1. is your post run through the boyscouts or directly through the department?
    2. is it seperate from your vounteers?
    3. What are age limits for riding various apparatus?
    4. Can explorers ride the medic unit?
    5. What gear is issued?
    6. Can properly trainded explorers enter buring buildings?
    7. How many explorers do you have and what department/city/state are you in?

Thanks
    Kyle
    WFD

Forum Member

Kyle,
    I'm from Rossford Fire Explorer Post 790, Rossford, Ohio. We accept people from neighboring cities as well. We have 10 explorers. We can only take tools to the fire fighters, we are NOT aloud to enter the building no matter what training you have unless you are on the department.
    I'm not sure the answersto #1 or #2 but I will find out for you.
    Our Post has not adopted a ride-along policy, but I have gone along with the department in my city (Northwood FD). There we ride the Medic/Engine 806 which is staffed by 2 medics from 0800 to 1700 5 days a week. We don't ride the squad.

Hoepfully I've answered you questions.

god

1. boyscouts
    2. Dept. doesn't have vouly's
    3. None (post: 16-21)
    4. If older than 18/have waiver signed and using it for clincal hours (EMT, EMT-P)
    5. Full Turnout/Uniform
    6. No, other than a training tower/control burn
    7. "Have" 8-10, only a few show up. Monarch FPD, Chesterifleld, MO

Forum Member

1. Boyscouts
    2. separate from volunteers
    3. None (have to be out of middle school 15-21)
    4. We do not have one
    5. Uniform/ Bunker gear
    6. No unless it is for training purposes
    7. 4 explorers, only Liuetenant and I show up.

Forum Member

1. We register with the Boyscouts, but our post is run by Firefighters on the Dept.
    2. Completely Seperate, but we assist them with stuff arounf the station and at Public events.
    3. We have no ride-along policy, however, our post accepts 14-21 year olds.
    4. No.
    5. Bunkers/Dress Uniform.
    6. No, we enter no situations such as that.
    7. 10 total, 9 show up. Bedford Fire Dept, Lambertville, Mi.

Forum Member

Default RePhrase

i think i should rephrase one of my questions..................

#8 Can your explorers enter if they are properly trained and certified to?

Forum Member

Default Recorrect

Correction!!! #6

Forum Member

Unless an explorer is 18+ they cannot enter a dangerous enviro. EVEN with training. This is a federal law.

Forum Member
    On the flatest land around! (In central Il.)

Quote Originally Posted by Resq1scnd2none
    Unless an explorer is 18+ they cannot enter a dangerous enviro. EVEN with training. This is a federal law.
    Resq, you are right, but lets throw a little bit of a twist to it. Who decides if it is dangerous? I'm sure we'll all agree that entering a burning structure that we do not know can be dangerous, but how about a burn at a tower/training institute? Maybe any type of burn is considered danerous. I'm not trying to stir the pot, but it is something that your last post got me wondering about.

What do you Explorers think on this? Lets hear your opinions on this.

Forum Member

1. Our Explorer Post is affiliated with the boy scouts, but run by the fire department
    2. We have no volunteer firefighters, everyone is part-time or paid-on-call. Our Explorers are our only true volunteers.
    3. Our age limit is 14 for membership, including ride-along
    4. Yes
    5. Complete PPE including coat, pants, boots, helmet, hood & gloves. It's all surplus gear, but it's usually in decent shape.
    6. No, our Explorers do not enter burning buildings. When our they become properly trained & certified, then they're no longer Explorers. They become regular members.
    7. 11 - Northern Union Fire & EMS - Richwood, OH

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Resq1scnd2none
    Interesting! Can you tell me where in the Code of Federal Regulations that this law appears? I've always been told it's a state issue.

Forum Member

1. is your post run through the boyscouts or directly through the department? My program is run directly through the department, we looked at the Boyscouts/LFL program but do not have the minimum amount of people required.

2. is it seperate from your vounteers? Nope, I do what the full members do (that is what I am allowed to do according to SOPs/SOGs), and attend the same trainings during and after probationary period.

3. What are age limits for riding various apparatus? This is where things can get a little confusing, the program is open to 15-17 year olds (when 18 you become a full member). If it is training you can ride in apparatus, as long as you are in good standing. At 16 if you have the appropriate medical training (i.e. CPR, 1st Aid, 1st Responder) you can respond to medical calls. At 17 and a level 2 Junior firefighter you can respond to all calls on apparatus. Otherwise, you have to ride in a POV or stay at the station.

4. Can explorers ride the medic unit? Since ALS and medical transport is provided by a different agency you have to follow their rules.

5. What gear is issued? I am still wondering that myself, this program is just getting started and we are still trying to get all the bugs worked out and the paperwork finished. At my old department (who abolished their program) I got full bunkers, full wildland, and a uniform which consisted of a T-shirt and ball cap (it was a small volley dept.). I am guessing it will be similar at my current department.

6. Can properly trained explorers enter burning buildings? If you are 17 and a level 2, you can assist with fire supression and similar activities, but it is unclear on whether you can actually enter an involved structure.

7. How many explorers do you have and what department/city/state are you in? Central City Fire Department; Central City, Colorado. The maximum we can have is 5, right now we have only one who is accumulating training hours. There is one other interested, but no training record has been started for him yet.
    American by Birth, Firefighter/EMS Provider by the grace of God!

These are my personal views/opinions and do not necessarily reflect that of my department.

Forum Member

My understanding is that any Explorer post is affiliated with the boy scouts. The other type of program is Jr. Firefighter. Guidelines for the Jr. FF program are set by the department and the Explorer program mandates that Explorers can or cannot do. This may be wrong, this is just how I interpreted what was told to me. Explorers goes up to the age of 21. No Explorer shall ever enter a burning building, however, they can ride on the first truck out. Many of the other guidelines are set at the discretion of the officer running the program. We receive a full set of PPE. It is actually the old equipment from the firefighters. The only other difference between our equipment and our firefighters equipment is our helmets say Explorer on the side and we don't have our names anywhere on our gear.

I'm a member of Explorer post #2128, right now we have around 8 members, 2 of which have been inactive and have not re-uped for this next period.

Forum Member

Talking Thanks

Well i got enough research.....i was doing this to try see what other posts have compared to ours. I apears we all have about the same SOP's. except riding on medic units. Our depatment does not allows us even when ur 16 or 17 even when ur 16or 17 with your EMT. Thanks for all your help!

Kyle
    Explorer Post 1699
    President

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FLexplorer305
    1. Boyscouts
    2. separate from volunteers
    3. None (have to be out of middle school 15-21)
    4. We do not have one
    5. Uniform/ Bunker gear
    6. No unless it is for training purposes
    7. 4 explorers, only Liuetenant and I show up.
    exact same!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Chief310
    Interesting! Can you tell me where in the Code of Federal Regulations that this law appears? I've always been told it's a state issue.
    Department of Labor Website...

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/youthla...quirements.htm

Hope this helps....
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WaterbryVTfire
    Department of Labor Website...

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/youthla...quirements.htm

Hope this helps....
    Thanks for the link, but I was still unable to find any specific federal prohibition with regard to firefighting. The statutes I was able to find there covered many specific hazardous occupations, but suprisingly enough, not firefighting.

Unless someone is able to quote chapter & verse, I'm going to assume it's a state issue, not federal.

BTW, I'm not advocating youth participation in fire suppression, I just want to make sure accurate information is posted. A lot of people ASSUME that there is a federal statute that prohibits the activity, but so far, nobody's been able to show me where it is.

Forum Member

I'd have to look for it, but i'm pretty sure your Learning for Life Insurance prohibits dangerous activities and places limitations on the equipment you can use. They even go as far as not covering paintball activies. We discovered this when we planned a post trip, we just went as a post but didnt recongnize the event as a post event.

Well, as quoted from the Learning for Life website, I think their guidelines place limits on the activities of Explorers, but i'm still looking for the other link.

Fire and Emergency
    Explorers may not be substituted for trained personnel, can only be mobilized as a post with leadership, and are not on call individually. When riding, they must be seated with a seat belt (never on the back of a fire truck standing) and cannot drive a department vehicle. Clear and specific departmental guidelines must be written on what an Explorer may do at the site of an emergency.

From: http://www.learning-for-life.org/exploring/index.html

Ok, I found the link for prohibited activites for Fire Explorers, here you go: http://www.learning-for-life.org/exp.../p-safety.html

The Gun clause is here (paintball): http://www.learning-for-life.org/lfl...afe/09.html#RA
    Last edited by KTorak; 11-21-2006 at 01:18 AM.

Forum Member

Default Cont. Search for answers

This is from the labor website

"The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) prohibits minors under age 18 years old to work in any occupation that it deems to be hazardous. Among these occupations are excavation, manufacturing explosives, mining, and operating many types of power-driven equipment. Certain industries allow minors under age 18 to perform certain tasks at worksites whose primary work activity is dangerous, but these tasks are very specific and the state and federal government closely monitor compliance."

OCCUPATIONS DEEMD TO BE HAZARDOUS

General.

Occupations in or about plants or establishments manufacturing or storing explosives or articles containing explosive components (Order 1).

Occupations of motor-vehicle driver and outside helper (Order 2).

Coal-mine occupations (Order 3).

Logging occupations and occupations in the operation of any sawmill, lath mill, shingle mill, or cooperage stock mill (Order 4).

Occupations involved in the operation of power-driven woodworking machines (Order 5).

Exposure to radioactive substances and to ionizing radiations (Order 6).

Occupations involved in the operation of power-driven hoisting apparatus (Order 7).

Occupations involved in the operations of power-driven metal forming, punching, and shearing machines (Order 8).

Occupations in connection with mining, other than coal (Order 9).

Occupations in the operation of power-driven meat-processing machines and occupations involving slaughtering, meat packing or processing, or

Occupations involved in the operation of bakery machines (Order 11).

Occupations involved in the operation of paper-products machines (Order 12).

Occupations involved in the manufacture of brick, tile, and kindred products (Order 13).

Occupations involved in the operations of circular saws, band saws, and guillotine shears (Order 14).

Occupations involved in wrecking, demolition, and shipbreaking operations (Order 15).

Occupations in roofing operations (Order 16).

Occupations in excavation operations (Order 17).

Authority: Secs. 3, 18, 52 Stat. 1060, 1069; 29 U.S.C. 203, 218

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PFVFRWFD1
    This is from the labor website

"The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) prohibits minors under age 18 years old to work in any occupation that it deems to be hazardous. Among these occupations are excavation, manufacturing explosives, mining, and operating many types of power-driven equipment. Certain industries allow minors under age 18 to perform certain tasks at worksites whose primary work activity is dangerous, but these tasks are very specific and the state and federal government closely monitor compliance."

OCCUPATIONS DEEMD TO BE HAZARDOUS

General.

Occupations in or about plants or establishments manufacturing or storing explosives or articles containing explosive components (Order 1).

Occupations of motor-vehicle driver and outside helper (Order 2).

Coal-mine occupations (Order 3).

Logging occupations and occupations in the operation of any sawmill, lath mill, shingle mill, or cooperage stock mill (Order 4).

Occupations involved in the operation of power-driven woodworking machines (Order 5).

Exposure to radioactive substances and to ionizing radiations (Order 6).

Occupations involved in the operation of power-driven hoisting apparatus (Order 7).

Occupations involved in the operations of power-driven metal forming, punching, and shearing machines (Order 8).

Occupations in connection with mining, other than coal (Order 9).

Occupations in the operation of power-driven meat-processing machines and occupations involving slaughtering, meat packing or processing, or

Occupations involved in the operation of bakery machines (Order 11).

Occupations involved in the operation of paper-products machines (Order 12).

Occupations involved in the manufacture of brick, tile, and kindred products (Order 13).

Occupations involved in the operations of circular saws, band saws, and guillotine shears (Order 14).

Occupations involved in wrecking, demolition, and shipbreaking operations (Order 15).

Occupations in roofing operations (Order 16).

Occupations in excavation operations (Order 17).

Authority: Secs. 3, 18, 52 Stat. 1060, 1069; 29 U.S.C. 203, 218
    This is what I found as well. I noticed that firefighting & emergency services is not specifically mentioned in the "Hazardous" list. I wonder if that's an oversight or was it excluded on purpose.

Forum Member

Smile

1. We are run through the boyscouts.
    2. Yes, but we do large trainings, calls, and events together.
    3. Any Explorer can ride any rig. On my 2nd week, I went on a call in the squad.
    4. We are not allowed to go on a medical call unless we are a first responder, EMT, or are on the squad when the call comes in, like what happened to me.
    5. We get new, safe helmets with old, beat-up gear from the 1980s.
    6. We are not allowed inside a burning building unless we are Vermont Firefighter 1 or 2 certified.
    7. We have 13 explorers. I am on the Vernon Volunteer Fire Company in Vernon, Vermont. We are Explorer Post 411. The department does about 150 fire and EMS calls per year. The town has a population of about 2,100 and houses the Vermont Yankee Nuclear Power Plant, where we cannot go into until we are 18, and the Vernon Hydro-Electric Dam, where we had a 1st alarm, smoke coming from the building, this morning. It was a false alarm.

Thread Information