Forum Member

Default How would YOU improve the IAFF ?

Let's try to keep it civil and practical. I would urge the Executive Board to tread lightly in 2008... Next.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    Let's try to keep it civil and practical. I would urge the Executive Board to tread lightly in 2008... Next.

Well depends on are we talking local level or federal level. I think alot of issues lie with locals that dont have collective bargaining rights. And of course the local leaders dont want to have nothing to do with this. So that leads me to another point I think as a whole we need to work harder to pass legislation granting firefighters the right to collectively bargain nationwide. And with a new democratic congress I hope this can be passed without the veto by the president .

On local level I think at ours we need to improve the communications between the e board and members. And improve communications in general between each other.
    Last edited by Tann3100; 11-14-2006 at 03:29 PM.
    IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Why should we tread lightly in 08? ....contrary to popular opinions on these board. My national reps were given there marching orders by a vote from my local...who gave it to my state reps... who in turn gave to the national reps. They did nothing wrong in 04' and I expect they will support the right person in 08'
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Forum Member

The IAFF itself? I think it's prety good the way it is. I also hope to see collective barganing nation wide, but this is not the IAFFs fault. We all know they have been fighting for it for years!

Individual Locals? Well it seems we do not have the same union portrayed throughout the land. In these forums I hear people say they did not even know they were IAFF members until the dues came out of their pay check. Where is the orientation these new members are suposed to receive?
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Forum Member

Let me clarify my thoughts on 2008. I think the union should not jump in and endorse any particular presidential candidate too early. Once that endorsement is made then lets go get em.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Truckie

As a whole I think the IAF is doing a real decent job. Do I at times disagree with their political selections, of-coarse. But they are the most bi-partisan of any big union around. With their support directly focused on a canidates veiws on our issues, no matter the affiliation. Same goes with my local, I don't also agree with some of their choices. Yet I still have a voice and can vote on it, if I'm in the minority, so be it. I'm not going to pick up my toys and go home. I still give pac money every check.
    The one thing I would like to see is more local and nation media attention and advertisement. Educating the public on what it is to have professional fire protection and medical care. Tie that in with the burn foundation and MDA, I think we would have a winner. We have to have the ability and resources to produce either a decent print add or commercial that locals could use. If we can win in the court of public opinion and keep it, our endorsed canidates will benifit that much more.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

Politically: I'd like to see them reconsider endorsing candidates. I feel like it's a double-edged blade. If the candidate you back loses, why would the winner feel obligated to listen to anything you have to say? Back the hell out of legistation, bills, etc that are beneficial.

A little more efforts in the rural areas would hurt, either. Then again, neither would a little more cooperation with other organizations when fighting for legislation that that's beneficial to all firefighters.

In general: I'd like to see a little more open-mindedness toward some issues, or putting more responsiblity in the local's hands on certain matters.

Overall I can't complain, though. I think they're doing a good job targetting certain issues, perhaps not putting as much as I think they should into them, but at least they're pushing them nonetheless.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22
    Politically: I'd like to see them reconsider endorsing candidates. I feel like it's a double-edged blade. If the candidate you back loses, why would the winner feel obligated to listen to anything you have to say? Back the hell out of legistation, bills, etc that are beneficial.

Heard this asked before. If you come out against a candiate and they actually win which in most cases it is a real close race. Well the candiate sees this and then he would like you to back him the next time to pick up all the extra votes. I have seen this happen with other locals so it is not always a double edge sword. We just went throught that here on a state level our candiate won by 110 votes not much much he won. Beleive the other candiate paid alot of attention to that.

Sincerely
    Tann
    IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Tann3100
    Heard this asked before. If you come out against a candiate and they actually win which in most cases it is a real close race. Well the candiate sees this and then he would like you to back him the next time to pick up all the extra votes. I have seen this happen with other locals so it is not always a double edge sword. We just went throught that here on a state level our candiate won by 110 votes not much much he won. Beleive the other candiate paid alot of attention to that.

Sincerely
    Tann
    OK, two sides to every coin. I would like to see more money spend on the issues though. After all, why in the world does the IAFF need to support a candidate for state auditor when the money could go better toward other endeavors?

Forum Member

Default A timely reminder

FirePac comes from indvidual members contributions. Not your per capita. At the state level our local does use part of our dues for the Illinois Pac. We voted to do this and its around 3 bucks per member per month.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

FirePac comes from indvidual members contributions. Not your per capita. At the state level our local does use part of our dues for the Illinois Pac. We voted to do this and its around 3 bucks per member per month.
    OK, maybe a misunderstanding on my part. I thought all PAC money when to political endorsements, not just candidates but bills, legislation, etc.

Didn't the PAC thing get changed a couple years ago, where PAC money had to be used as opposed to the general revenue? I remember some kind of stink over it, but don't remember what it was all about now.

Forum Member

Default Directly from the IAFF web site

How is My Contribution Used?

Your FIREPAC contribution allows the IAFF to educate members of Congress about issues important to your profession as fire fighters and emergency medical personnel and elect candidates to office that support those issues.

During the 2003-2004 election cycle, FIREPAC contributed more than $2.2 million to over 330 pro-IAFF candidates running for Congress, in both U.S. Senate and House of Representatives races across the country.

While many candidates solicit FIREPAC contributions, not all are successful in receiving one. To be eligible to receive a FIREPAC contribution, candidates must meet specific criteria. For incumbents, FIREPAC reviews voting records on IAFF issues, weighs the difficulty of the race and surveys the level of participation IAFF locals have in the campaign. Challengers must complete a candidate questionnaire detailing their positions on a number of IAFF legislative issues. FIREPAC also assesses polling data, the candidate’s viability, the level of support from IAFF locals, and if applicable, voting records on IAFF issues at the local level.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Y'all are quite the educators on union ways. I actually appreciate it, it's a shame my local doesn't do more of it.

Forum Member

I think the IAFF and the AFFI are doing a fantastic job. Harold is a brilliant, just check out the IAFF web site to see how very succesful we were, same for the state.

I feel we are a much more powerful union because of the recent victories.

March on Harold!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

For starters I would elect IAFF First District Vice President and former New York Uniformed Fire Fighters Local 94 President Kevin Gallagher to the General President's spot. Harold Schaitberger is OK but I'm a northeast guy.
    DKK
    Truck Man
    APFD
    IAFF Local 384:

"Above all, an assignment to a truck company should be considered a promotion."

Chief John W. Mittendorf-1998

Forum Member

Truck Skipper. I support Harold. But when a contested race for General President does occur, I would like to see someone from the middle of the country run. Whitehead was from California. Schaitberger is from Virginia. There is a lot of land between the oceans.
    Last edited by MIKEYLIKESIT; 11-25-2006 at 12:25 PM.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

There are also members in Canada, Why shouldn't a Canadian run the IAFF?
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Forum Member

Good question Smoke. I do not know why it couldnt happen. There would have to probably be a split of American votes. Interesting possibilities though.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Default unions

Hello all, I'll throw an answer out there that may or may not be relevant to what was being asked. I've been a career ff for 13 yrs, union the whole time, shop steward for the last 4. We are IBT, Teamsters. Our state does have collective bargaining rights. Our dept. has been that way since the beginning of paid personnel in the 20's. The only reason we are staying Teamster and not going IAFF is insurance. We are the only personnel in our city not on the city insurance, and ours is ALOT cheaper. It's not quite as good as what the city is offering, but with the disparity in rates, no city employee is paying for ins. out of their check.

We may jump ship soon and go with IAFF, we'll get better ins. with the city, but we'll end up having to pay for a portion of it next contract.

Is there a reason the IAFF doesn't get a group ins. rate and offer it? The cheaper ins. has always been a strong bargaining point for us.

Forum Member

Drop Article 15

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LFD2203
    Drop Article 15
    Or how about doing a better job ENFORCING it ?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Here's YOUR chance to be part of the process. From the IAFF web site
    December 1, 2006 – IAFF members planning to attend the IAFF 2007 Legislative Conference should also plan to extend their stay in Washington, DC by one extra day in order to attend an extraordinary presidential forum featuring candidates who will likely make a run for the White House in 2008. Scheduled for March 11-15, 2007, the IAFF will be inviting select top presidential contenders from both parties to participate in this unique forum.

“This is a tremendous opportunity for IAFF members to hear from some of the men and women with aspirations to lead our nation,” says IAFF General President Harold Schaitberger, who adds that the presentations of the candidates will play a role in the union’s endorsement process.

“I want to give all credible candidates a fair opportunity to make their case to the most politically active members in our union,” Schaitberger says.

The 2007 Legislative Conference will also include issue briefings on IAFF priority legislation and the annual congressional reception. Registration for the IAFF 2007 Legislative Conference will be available online in the coming weeks. Hotel reservations can be made immediately by calling the Hyatt Regency Hotel on Capitol Hill at (202) 737-1234. The discounted room rate for IAFF members has been extended through Wednesday night.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Thread Information