Thread: ground ladders

Forum Member

Default ground ladders

Looking for a safe way to do a practical exercise of rescue of a uncons. pt from a ground ladders. We are working on FF1 Cert. any ideas would be helpfull.

Thanks
    Lt. Vincent

MembersZone Subscriber

When I teach FF 1 I always ensure that the ladder is secure at the tip so it cannot slide, and that the ladder is being properly footed.

I teach 2 main ways for bringing down a unc. adult victim. The knees between their legs, with your arms under their armpits and my preferred method which is on of my arms between their legs and my other arm under their armpit.

Forum Member

we did that we also had the pt tied off our problem came when one of our smaller female lost her grip and fell. luckly there was about 4 guys at the bottom to catch her. Im trying to find a way for this not to happen again.

Forum Member

I haven't tried this, nor have I seen it done, but would it be possible to have one or two guys ontop the the roof near the tip of the ladder controlling a line that would be secured to the student? Either that, or have the dummy tied off on a safety rope system and have airbags/mats below the ladder to catch the student if they were to fall. Personally I would prefer the first.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltvincent
    we did that we also had the pt tied off our problem came when one of our smaller female lost her grip and fell. luckly there was about 4 guys at the bottom to catch her. Im trying to find a way for this not to happen again.
    Tying off has nothing to do with whether or not the firefighter can handle the weight of the victim. Neither does the knee or arm method.

You have to get your firefighters to practice doing it in the lower section of the ladder first just to be able to get control of the situation. Then have them move up to the second/upper section depending on the ladder you're using. Hopefully you're using a 2 section since the rungs will be wider and it'll be easier.

As far as using any other helpers I don't think you can. In PA, and I'm sure elsewhere since we use the national pro-board program, that is a 2 person station where the 2 candidates take turns bringing each other down the ladder. Or if you use a dummy make sure one teammate stays topside and has a rope around the dummy to help control the assent.

Again, the best thing to do is start low, get the confidence and then go higher on the ladder.

Good luck.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Thread Information