MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire Academy and then payroll???

All right everyone, I tried doing a search for my question and I couldn't get an exact answer so I started yet another thread.

As some of you might remember, I asked a question about BAD CREDIT on someone elses "Poor Credit" thread and it got a little out of hand with everyone chiming in on what the East Coast does and so forth.

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=84812

Well I just got a call yesterday that I passed the background check and I'm taking the drug test tomorrow and I'll be physicaly evaluated on Thursday and the last step is to see a Psychologist on Friday and if everything comes out okay then I'll begin classes at the Fire Academy on the 28th of this freakin' month!!!

What I want to know is if I'll be getting paid all ready while attending the Fire Academy and if not will I be able to keep my current 9-5 job until it's over?

Is the Academy only on the weekends or is it like taking a full time semester of college?

You see I just landed a full time position as a New Account Executive at a bank and it pays pretty good and I've still got 3 weeks of training and I want to tell them as soon as possible that I won't be there any longer but I really need the paycheck that I'll get if I stick with it until the end of the month. I let them know ahead of time that I've been chasing the Fire Fighter dream and now that it's happening I feel like a ***** for wanting to drag the job training(wasted labor) just for a pay check.

If my Fire Dept paying my way through the Academy doesn't mean that I'm on the payroll, will it start the day I graduate???

Of course this is if I even pass the final steps.

Thanks a lot for all your help.

Broke & Confused,
    Cele

Forum Member

Don't know what to say BC. I would think that these questions should be answered by whom ever is hiring you. The academies that I know of are held during the week.

Anyway, congrats on making it thus far. And good luck in your new career.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Thats what happens when you come to a public forum for answers. If your not looking for different points of view don't ask a question. On that note if you think you will be able to keep your 9-5 job you must be dreaming. When a Fire Department hires you they pretty much employ you and pay you through the academy. Thats your decision on whether to take the job or not but I doubt you will be able to work the bank job in the academy.

MembersZone Subscriber

You should check with the human resources dept of the fire dept that is hiring you, they should be able to answer all your questions.
    Good luck.

Forum Member

Exclamation

First of all if I were applying for a firefighter job, and I am not getting ready to retire soon, I would ask the question, Do I get Paid While In The FIRE ACADEMY??? Am I an employee of said fire department. You need to know this up FRONT!!

Good luck on the physical, anything wrong with you can cause them not to hire you. The Psychologist test can tell if you are stable or not. Donítí try to BS the folks at any testing.

Your question is very vague at best.

You do not say where you are. You do not say if a city or county is hiring you. You do not say if this is a state run or private fire academy.

There too many holes in your post.

All fire academies that I am familiar with run from 0800 to 1700 hours. That is 8AM to 5PM 5 days a week. They pay you too, which is good as money!!
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm located in Texas, deep south Texas, the Rio Grande Valley area just about 300 miles south of San Antonio.

I called the Captain after ****ing in a cup this morning and left him a message asking him if I complete the remaining steps tomorrow and he called me back and told me that he tried his best to work around my schedule but that I would have to take one tomorrow and the last one on Friday. I thought about asking him about the pay situation but I thought that the most important thing for him is to see if I'll clear all the tests/steps.

I wasn't expecting a call till the middle of next year or no call at all cause I've been in this situation before but I guess the 3 people in front of me failed some part of the background check or may spots just opened up quicker then expected. Which ever the case I wasn't prepared financially for this situation so I guess for some work of advice, have an emergency fund just in case you get the call.

About pointing out the older thread and how it got outta hand. I'm not new to messageboards and I didn't mean to complain I just thought people might remember that thread and more importantly, my situation because of how that thread was on fire for a couple of days.

Thanks for all your help and if it's your cup of tea, send a prayer my way on the last two steps in front of my dream.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by allineedisu
    All fire academies that I am familiar with run from 0800 to 1700 hours. That is 8AM to 5PM 5 days a week. They pay you too, which is good as money!!
    Thanks for answering my question, but do you mean that they will pay for me or that they will pay me while taking the classes? I know that it will be paid for so I'm hoping for the latter.

MembersZone Subscriber

i have never (and i think most out there will agree with me) heard of a dept. that does not pay its recruits during their academy. as soon as you start your academy, you should be paid. and by this i mean a regular paycheck, not them just covering the cost of your training.

Forum Member

If this is a full-time department you most likely will be getting paid during the academy. You start work on the first day of your academy and it usually runs Monday through Friday. This is most departments.

But, I would ask why you don't already know this information. Changing jobs, in this case your career, is a very big deal. Knowing the schedule of your academy, whether you're getting paid, etc, are very key items to know. I would seriously advise you to do more research on your department and speak with Human Resources ASAP. This type of information isn't something to take likely.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by localva
    But, I would ask why you don't already know this information. Changing jobs, in this case your career, is a very big deal. Knowing the schedule of your academy, whether you're getting paid, etc, are very key items to know. I would seriously advise you to do more research on your department and speak with Human Resources ASAP. This type of information isn't something to take likely.
    Yes this is a full time fire fighter position/department. The reason I don't have an answer is because I didn't ask the Captain the few times I've spoken with him over the phone. I was out to lunch picking up a check from my second job when I got the call that I passed the background check and my heart almost stopped. I jotted down all the information he was giving me on the back of business cards from my wallet. I wasn't in shock about passing, I was in shock from the phone call period. I must have said "Yes sir/Captain" a zillion times during our brief conversation. Keep in mind I'm not on yet so I didn't think to ask about being paid while training.

I will ask on Friday or may be tomorrow after I leave the Dr.'s office so I'll keep you all updated.

Thread Information