Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Confused

Forum Member

Default Confused

Hello i have a quick question for your veterans out there. I am in college right now, i have been going for criminal justice and have one semester left. However, i just started at a local police department as an aide, and ever since i have been there i just dont think this is cut out for me. I have had family members as part of the fire department my grandfather was a Captain and i have always looked up to him. I want to get into firefighting however i feel like every is against my decision. So i was wondering what you all think about this change, and if i will like hopefully my new career. Everyone i have talked to both police and firefighters and firefighters are the only ones that have actually said they love their job. HELP PLEASE

Forum Member

MM21, Being a Firefighter may not be for you either. The only way to find out is give it a try. Find a local Volunteer dept and join. They'll be glad to have you and you may even find your true calling. Remember, it's your life, you can't worry about what others think.
    Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way.

Forum Member

Default Choose the Red Door

I was just in your shoes. I did not know if I was going to be hired as a police officer because I had interviews with two departments. I had to respectfully decline those interviews because I was also in the hiring process of becoming a firefighter. I dispatch for fire and police for a small town and I see both sides. A police job would be a great job but the fire is better. I start my dream job win about three weeks for an orientation and than it is off to the Academy. Good Luck and feel free to email me. I know the feelings you are feeling.

Forum Member

thanks man, ya its a tough time but everyone says that im young enough that i can do alot with my life right now. I will be keeping in touch with you i hope that your academy goes good i hope that i am in your shoes in a couple of years. I just put in my application for a volunteer fire department last tuesday so we will see how that goes. Thanks again guys.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is an interesting decision. All the romance aside, you have to look at yourself and decide which environment is best for you. Having been on all three sides in my career (police, fire, and EMS), I'll try to describe it.

Firefighters are team players, and work in defined teams (think football or basketball). Live together, cook together, hang out together, and respond to gether. That's how the work is done.

Police officers, on the other hand, are mostly solo practitioners. The goal of police training and field training is to get a new officer up to "solo" status as soon as possible - out there in a car by yourself, answering calls and solving problems. Using the athletic metaphor, it's more like being a skier or runner - you alone versus the problem. Sure, there's support available, but it's still "your" call alone.

I hope that helps!

Forum Member

thanks skip thats the same way the i am looking at it right now, and when i wanted to start with the police thing, i totally did not look at it in the solo aspect. I am more of a team player like you said I have always been part of a team, and that is where i feel more comfortable.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking And, Most Importantly.................

Cops do a LOT more paperwork than Firefighters.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    Cops do a LOT more paperwork than Firefighters.......
    By a factor of, like, twenty. And that is a valid consideration in choosing a path. Especially if that sort of work is not one of your strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by MMedrow21 View Post
    I want to get into firefighting however i feel like every is against my decision.

Hey it's your life if you want to be a ff go for it. Only you can make that decision!

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey man happy holidays.

Ive did the volly thing for about 6 years. Loved it. Now I have been in training with my fire comapny for about a year and I will graduate in Jan as a ff/medic. I usderstand how the change can make things kinda confusing. I dispatched in new jersey for about 5 years. I loved it but I didnt. I took a career job in Va. So far its killing me with all the school, but it will pay off. What I am trying to say is that if you truly think that you want to then go for it. Do this to, go to a career area and walk into a station and ask all the questions that you want to the guys and gals there. They will take the time to help out. If ya need anyother questions answered feel free to email me @ ffsprout37@aol.com

Be safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Good luck with your decision. I just recently made a huge life decision too... I spent 14 years in the military and recently left to pursue firefighting as a career. I was forturnate 5 years ago and was able to join a local volunteer fire department which led to a part-time job with a municipal department; 6 months ago I left the miltary and went full-time. I haven't regretted my decision yet. I hope you find your calling and don't let others distract you or try to change your mind. Keep trying and good luck. Be safe!! If you have any questions write... erico@warrensburg-mo.com

Forum Member

thanks guy's for all the advice. I have another question, i put in an application for a vol department, and i called them the week before the 1st, and they told me they would call me after the first for an interview. I was just wondering when i should call them again i dont want to sound like a pest. It is a small department, and they told me that they are not the quickest in processing applications. i mean their hiring process is the application, then you interview with someone from the department, and they then decide and offer you the job. Just wondering when i should call i just want to show interest, and not be a pest?

Forum Member

If You Have Finished All You Law Enforcement Stuff>>> Go Towork For A Fire Department For Awhile And Then Maybe Consider The Path That My Husband And His Brother Have Gone> They Both Work For The State Bureau Of Investigations As Arson Investigators> Get To Do Both Fire And Law And They Love It> They Also Get To Volunteer With The Local Fire Department To Get Their "fun" Of Still Fighting Fires. They Both Are Also Looking Into Later In Life Working As Private Investigators With The Insurance Companies. They (private Investigators) Get Paid About $150.00/ Per Hour.

Forum Member

Default Cop or Fireman?

Better to sleep on sheets than seats!!

Wink Hang in there

Im in almost the same position as you, a criminal justice student and in the fire service. I have had the same feeling and same feers, just hand in there, if you feel deep down this is for you then so be it. However, there is no dishonor is saying this is not for you, and move on.

MembersZone Subscriber

Itís important for you to follow your heart and do what YOU want to do, not what everyone wants you to do. First of all, I cannot stress enough the importance of completing your degree. You are so close. Get it done, you will be glad you did. Even if you decide to become a firefighter, you have proven you can finish what you start. It will set you above the crowd. Believe me when I tell you that it is much harder to become a firefighter than it is to become a police officer.

Hereís what I encourage you to do. Sit down with a few police officers and ask them about their job satisfaction. Do the same with a couple of firefighters. I believe this will help you make your decision.

Itís very common for cops to become firefighters. You virtually NEVER see it the other way.

Your life is just beginning. You will be in your chosen career for the next 30 years. It would be a shame to get into something that doesnít satisfy you.

For the record, I have been a firefighter over 20 years. I can honestly say that I love my job. Good luck with YOUR decision.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Thread Information