Thread: Volunteer???

Forum Member

Default Volunteer???

I am in college right now and have been going for criminal justice however i want to get into firefighting, and was just wondering if being a volunteer on a local department is a good way to get into it and see what it all consists of, if you have any info to share with me would greatly appreciate it.

Forum Member

Yeah its a great way, especially with the experience. Take a basic firefighter class too if you can!

Forum Member

i mean i work part-time at a police department which i was going to do and go to school full-time everyone keeps tellin me to get my criminal justice degree so i have something to fall back on. I feel that the volunteer will help me out in a hiring process with a big department

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MMedrow21
    i mean i work part-time at a police department which i was going to do and go to school full-time everyone keeps tellin me to get my criminal justice degree so i have something to fall back on. I feel that the volunteer will help me out in a hiring process with a big department

Sometimes most big paid depts. dont care if you have been on a VFD. Joining is a great idea though, to get experience and help your community.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not only something to fall back on, but if you decide you want to get into investigation and a fire marshal's position, the CJ degree will definitely be beneficial. Plus, some of your classes should count towards a fire science if you want to get that degree along with it.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Yes it is the best way. you may become a fire inspetor

Forum Member

i know what a volunteer is and stuff but what exactly does this all consist of i mean i know we go to fires but do we stay at the fire station or what happens info please??? would appreciate it.

MembersZone Subscriber

i know what a volunteer is and stuff but what exactly does this all consist of i mean i know we go to fires but do we stay at the fire station or what happens info please??? would appreciate it.
    Most departments in my area respond from home or wherever they are. They recieve the page and respond to either the station or directly to the scene.

There are some department's that have live-ins. Basically the department allows them to stay in the station rent-free, but they're required to dedicate a certain amount of time per week/month to be available to respond to calls.

Basically, it varies per department and situation.

A lot of departments will probably require you to attend some sort of academy or basic training to learn some basic firefighting skills and principles.

Best thing you could do is go visit with some of the departments around you, especially any you are interested in joining.

Forum Member

ya i plan on going tomorrow to get an application, and hopefully talk to someone about what their department does.

Forum Member

so i applied for the volunteer fire department last week, and i know it will take some time. However, i went to my old job to talk to my old boss cuz we are good friends, and i told him how i applied for the department. He used to be the volunteer captain there and he has alot of ties to that fire department, and the major city fire department there. So when i was telling him how i applied he asked if i heard anything, and i said no. So he made a cal to the chief of that fire department and talked to him. He gave me an awesome reference, and i hope that it all works. He told me to also go to the major city department which is also a paid on call volunteer department, but he knows the chief out there also, so i inquired about their application process. I talked to someone from the police department, because their police/fire department are together, and when i talked to the officer she was really rude and that then made me realize is that how people percieve us since i am in the law enforcement. so we will see how both departments go.

Thread Information