MembersZone Subscriber

Default SAPPHIRE fire suppression system

I'm currently enrolled in a fire suppression system class and for the final exam we have to give a report on a fire suppression system. I was assigned the SAPPHIRE fire suppression system. I've e-mailed the manufacture, tried to call (they have yet to return my e-mails/phone calls) and Iíve done searches on google and yahoo for information on the system but Iím looking for the oddball questions and information that'll give my presentation that extra pazaz. I was looking to see if anybody knew any information on this particular system. I'm looking for anything like where its been installed, pictures of it, contacts who can tell me about it, pro's and con's about it, feedback if anybody has it installed, etc. my ultimate goal would be to get a sample of this product in a canning jar or something.
    Either reply in this forum, PM me, e-mail me at Spud-X@mailcity.com or whatever way necessary.

Thank you very much for your time in reading this and anybodyís help.
    Last edited by WaffleHut; 11-15-2006 at 07:20 PM. Reason: for some reason, my topics never post.

Forum Member

I put parts of a video into a windows movie maker presentation that I did for a fixed and portable extinguishers class that I took and we talked about the Sapphire Agent.
    PM me if you are interested and i'll see if I can find it

Forum Member

Sapphire which I think you have figured out is Ansul's clean-agent system based on 3M's Novec 1230 fire protection "fluid." I'm suprised you can't get any response from Ansul. I would be trying to contact a regional sales rep vs. corporate. Also, Simplex-Grinnell would be the typical local distributor for Ansul systems (both part of Tyco). Simplex-Grinnell has pretty wide coverage. If you have local office, I'd stop by and see if you can get a few minutes with someone at S-G. They might tell you where they have installed some systems and maybe you can make a contact for a visit.

There is a fair amount of material on Ansul's and 3M's websites. Also, if you can take a look at NFPA 2001, you can get a feel for clean agent install requirments.

Novec 1230 is stored basically as a liquid, but has a very low heat of vaporization so when it is discharged, it vaporizes rapidly. Generally speaking, the vapor fills the enclosure and because it is a very heavy molecule, it extinguishes the fire primarily by cooling at the molecular level of combustion. Heavy molecule means it can serve as a signficant heat sink.

Hope this helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

anybody else heard of this stuff?

Forum Member

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Thread Information