Thread: Advice....

Forum Member

Default Advice....

Im burning some cars tonight for training behind our station, running simulated dispatch/response and a theres a running debate over the necessity of removing the gas out of the tanks or uninstalling the gas tanks or something...I've never done that before and fire never impinged on the gas tank so I really dont see the need....after the initial burn-off of interior, I will be using straw, wood and some deisel fuel....anyone think the tanks should be dealt with...Im flexible and very open minded....Thanks, stay safe.

Forum Member

From the few car fires I've been to,we'd foam underneath the vehicle and then extinguish the fire using whatever tactics needed-open hood from side,enter vehicle cabin,etc-and use kitty litter to absorb whatever liquids leaked out.
    I'm told the gas cap,being of plastic to reduce BLEVEs,will melt anyway so we don't have to worry as much on that count.Just keep an eye out for it.
    Others will have different policies and experiences so I stand to learn from this as well.

Forum Member

I believe it's covered under 1403, you can pretty much use nothing but the bare frame of the vehicle.

Whether that is actually ever followed....

PS - In NJ, you aren't allowed to do it in any way unless you are at an approved training center and are using propane, not straw.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information