Forum Member

Default Please keep A Fellow Brother In your Prayers

Hunting accident may leave firefighter paralyzed

By Sarah Olinger
    Tuesday, November 14, 2006 3:35 PM CST

Doctors say a 40-year-old firefighter, husband and father may never walk again after a hunting accident Saturday left him paralyzed from the waist down.

Craig Allen, a 17-year veteran of the Florissant Valley Fire Protection District who lives in Warren County, fell through a tree stand on opening day of rifle season, breaking his back and four ribs.

Family members of Allen said he was positioned on an older, wooden stand that apparently gave way when he reached the top.

Allen and his father were hunting near their houses off Tall Oaks Road, but the men had gone in different directions in the morning, Allen's mother Patricia said.

"He lay there probably an hour and a half before my husband came by, and he must have heard his dad calling," she said.
    The Warren County Ambulance District transported Allen to St. John's Mercy Medical Center in Creve Coeur.

"He had no feeling in his lower extremities, so we just decided to get him down there as soon as we could for a neurological exam," District Administrator Ralph Hellebusch said.

Craig Allen's wife Christine said physicians performed surgery on his back the same day to remove crushed vertebrae. He is now out of the intensive care unit, alert and on pain medications, she said.

Hospital staff projected even with extensive rehabilitation, Craig Allen likely would remain reliant on the use of a wheelchair for the rest of his life, she said.

"They're not giving us a good chance at all," Christine Allen said. "They don't want us to get our hopes up."

The Allens have a 14-year-old son and a 12-year-old son, who attend school in the Warren County R-3 School District.

Christine Allen said she is worried not only about her children but also about coping with the loss of her husband's salary combined with medical costs.

"We don't know where our funds are going to come from for our house or anything," she said.

For now, the family will focus on getting Craig Allen home and maintaining some level of normalcy, she said.

"We're just taking one day at a time," Christine Allen said. "It's really tough."

Robert Corey, fire chief for the Florissant Valley district, described Craig Allen as hardworking, dedicated and likable.

"I know his family is having a hard time, and his family here is also having a hard time," Corey said.

He said Allen's co-workers plan to help install wheelchair ramps in the family's home.

Forum Member

He, his family and his dept. are in our prayers!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

My prayers and best wishes go out to the Brother and his family.

Hey Bro, do they have anything planned to help the family out? I'm in Missouri myself and I know several Brothers that would be interested in helping out if there is anything we can do.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pkfd7505
    My prayers and best wishes go out to the Brother and his family.

Hey Bro, do they have anything planned to help the family out? I'm in Missouri myself and I know several Brothers that would be interested in helping out if there is anything we can do.

not that i'm aware of. IMO i think we should have a fundraiser for his family.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Itsmy6
    not that i'm aware of. IMO i think we should have a fundraiser for his family.
    I'll all for that, got any ideas?

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Forum Member

I will keep him, his family, and his dept. in my prayers.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pkfd7505
    I'll all for that, got any ideas?
    I'm thinking some kind of tournament where the prize money goes to his family or something of that nature.

Thread Information