Thread: New Britain FD

MembersZone Subscriber

Default New Britain FD

Big test tomorrow, anyone know how many they might be looking for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know if they had more then one test? I went to the 9am test and seemed that there wasn't too many applicants.

Forum Member

What day are you talking about. I went this morning Sat the 18th and there was a ton of people taking the test. They started check in at 8:30 and it took almost a full hour to complete checking everyone in.

Anyone know how many New Britain is going to hire?

Forum Member

I counted about 200-250 people in New Britain today, not too bad, I expected more.

Mark, have you heard any good news from Meriden lately?

Forum Member

Kamododragoon:
    I've got news for you - it's in the IAFF's by-laws that you can't volunteer. Most paid depts in the Hartford area also have it as contract language with the city. I also doubt greatly that the deputy chief you are speaking of is retiring his entire career because he can't volunteer. This is nothing new it's been around for decades. Where does he volly? Kensington?

Do yourself a favor and read the post titled: "Brother looking for some help" in the "Career/Paid firefighters forum" on this web site. It will give you some insight on this issue.
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

MembersZone Subscriber

not true on the unions position

Forum Member

Crank nothing on my end, how about you, hear anything from Meriden?

Forum Member

No nothing, I took a class up at the fire academy and seen a FF from Meriden. I wanted to ask him what he knew but never gotten a chance to.
    Hopefully this March they will take 5 for the academy

Forum Member

Default UConn Fire Positons

Does anybody know how many UConn FD is hiring? Has there been interviews yet? If so how many went to the interviews?
    Last edited by Ramit51; 11-24-2006 at 05:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Forum Member

Kamododragoon:
    Who ever your reliable source is, they are wrong! The union can't force any one in a bad position because they have no power to make anyone retire. Who ever is feeding you this info is trying to put the union in a bad light. You don't have to name the guy there is only 4 of them. I honestly don't care who it is. Did you read the post I mentioned? That is why I feel the way I do about it. It's not a slam to volunteers, it's just that volunteers need to see it from our perspective. Giving back to your community is a good thing, just don't do it at the cost of your career.
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Lt NBFD Ct IAFF 992

Exclamation

Kamododragoon:
    FYI, I work on the job in New Britain, and Deputy Chief Noodles has been saying he's retiring for 10 years, now. So don't hold your breath waiting for it. Rest assured there will be a big bash the day after though.
    He's not being "forced to retire" by the union. It's common knowledge you cannot volunteer and work on the job. The day I got hired, the chief of the department gave us all a direct order to resign from any departments we volunteer for. I'm not going to badmouth volunteers, because they do a great job, but in a career town there are other issues at stake. As the previous poster stated, you'd do yourself some good to review the posting he referenced and then maybe you'd develope an understanding of just what we're faced with here.
    Just do us all a favor, before you go casting disparaging remarks on Local 992 of NBFD know your facts instead of spewing off at the mouth.
    Incidently, if you're anything like Noodles do yourself a big favor and don't even try to get on the job in New Britain because you'll have a really long career if you run your mouth otherwise!!!!

As for questions regarding numbers of hirees in New Britain, your guess is as good as ours. There are a number of vacancies, but word is the chief want to hire a dozen more to limit the FSLA payouts (overtime). Could be a big hire coming your way if you're on the list. Just know it rule of the list, and they can and will take whoever they want. (read between the lines...)

Forum Member

If they are interviewing 160+ canidates in two days, how many different groups of interviewers will they have? I'm thinking they must have atleast 3 maybe even 4, who knows maybe 5 groups of interviewers.

If they are working 8 hrs, a canidate every half hour = 16 for one day x 2 days = 32 164/32=5.125 groups of interviewers.

How with so many different interviewers can the oral be graded fairly? Can it?

NFDpackman any advice on the upcoming orals?

Forum Member

I know last time around was the one of the first tests I ever took. They had multiple rooms going and they were way over schedule. I think I went in 45-1 hr after my scheduled time.

And Crank you have a good point I don't know how they can grade it fairly with so many groups. I mean come on we know its standardized but its still up for some interpretation, actually quite a bit

MembersZone Subscriber

Do all of the engines have four man crews?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default NB hiring

Aprox. 160 passed and will be interviewed over 2 days.

Sounds like they are going to hire 6 for the March Academy.

but we have more vacancies and rumors of people retiring then we have being filled so.... Anything can happen.

Forum Member

kck857 - thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Thread Information