Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default spending the night

Are you guys allowed to spend the night at you fire house when you are rideing along, my post can what about yours?
    www.wildlandfire.com
    Up To Date Wildland Fire Information

Forum Member

My post you are allowed to spend the night after you have three months in the post, and must ask one of the advicers if you are allowed to spend the night.

Since our department is all volunteer, there is no overnight anything for anyone, adults or explorers. The only exception is on the rare occasion of a bad storm (blizzard or hurricane). Usually some of us younger and more sparky members stay the night on cots upstairs in the meeting hall. There is no rule saying explorer's can't do the same as long as it isn't a school night. School nights are restricted to no later than 10pm.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here in Pennsyltucky...or at least at my station...16 and 17 year old juniors can sleep in and run calls, as long as we have the duty officer's permission...as im writing this im getting ready to go home from a LOOONG night at the station >.< gotta love EMS.

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    Since our department is all volunteer, there is no overnight anything for anyone, adults or explorers. The only exception is on the rare occasion of a bad storm (blizzard or hurricane). Usually some of us younger and more sparky members stay the night on cots upstairs in the meeting hall. There is no rule saying explorer's can't do the same as long as it isn't a school night. School nights are restricted to no later than 10pm.
    My dept works the same way....

Forum Member

We can stay the night at stations here in Riverside, CA. Most stations have a student/explorer room that they let us stay in. I wonder why they put T.V's in our rooms because we're not allowed to watch T.V. Maybe its a test of some sort? At the station I'm doing 1 of 5 things.
    1. Doing Chores/Errands
    2. On a call
    3. Training/Reading my I.F.S.T.A.
    4. Sleeping (Permitted only from between 9:00 PM to 6:00 AM > NO NAPS!!!)
    5. Eating

...and that's about it.

Chris

MembersZone Subscriber

hey chris what post are you in? you guys are CDF in riverside arent you? im from post 955 CDF san mateo county
    www.wildlandfire.com

Forum Member

No. I'm from Riverside City Fire Explorer Post 101. But, I do know people from East & West Moreno Valley Posts.

Quote Originally Posted by CBS72989
    Here in Pennsyltucky...or at least at my station...16 and 17 year old juniors can sleep in and run calls, as long as we have the duty officer's permission...as im writing this im getting ready to go home from a LOOONG night at the station >.< gotta love EMS.
    Are your officers & Fire Chief aware of the State of Pa.'s Dept of Labor, and their restrictions placed on Junior Firefighters? If not, they may want to look into them, as the State does not look lightly upon infractions of the laws!! Stiff fines can and have been levied upon volunteer fire departments for violations!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

In PA, the labor law is such that no minor can work all night, which would include staying at the fire house. In fact, all juniors must leave the firehouse by 1030 or 1100 on a school night, and midnight on the weekends. Juniors are restricted form responding to any call whatsoever, during times they are not allowed to legally work. I could be off a little on my times there, but there is no legal overnight stays in pennsylvania.

Quote Originally Posted by rawbff15
    Are you guys allowed to spend the night at you fire house when you are rideing along, my post can what about yours?
    FWIW, any scouting sponsored actively requires the presence of at least two BSA registered adult leaders and at least one of them must have completed BSA Youth Protection Training.

IOW, unless there are registered adults with the proper training present, explorers cannot be there as explorers at all. Further, they can't sleep there without seperate sleeping accomodations (and approved provisions for showers, restrooms, etc.).

The BSA is very strict in this respect and post advisors should be very careful about how they handle this issue. If you aren't 100% sure that you're within the approved guidelines, consult your council/district commission office.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Deputy Marshall,

With all due respect you are correct that two advisors must be present for Explorer post sponsored activities. Actually if it is a co-ed activity there must also be co-ed advisors. However you are somewhat mistaken in regards to "ride alongs". On the PD side we are allowed to have explorers ride along with police officers, and it does not have to be male/male and female/female. The 'host' officer also does not need to have taken the youth protection training program either. I know on the PD side we also do not need to fill out the complete background/CORI information on the advisors as it is understood that all police officers/law enforcement employees unergo rigourous background checks prior to employment. As far as the fire side is concerned I am not 100% sure on the requirements, but I would gather that sleep overs are not allowed, as in law enforcement ride alongs overnight are not permitted. I have allowed certain trustworthy PD explorers to ride at night, but it is certainly not the norm. However overnights aside, I would think FD ride alongs are the same as PD ride alongs assuming there is a "host" FF willing to be responsible for the explorer during thier ride along. I can not imagine it is a free for all that the kid is on the truck without an official eye watching over him, unless the BSA allows the youth to ride with the deputy, or command person in a fly car?? It would be interesting to see what the BSA officially has to say, as I am on a Volunteer department so we do not have the options for sleep overs anyways.

Jon

I feel like im on the only post who isnt allowed to respond on calls with their 'home' department... :-\ I have to say it's gotta be really nice to get all that hands on experience.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jerry4184
    In PA, the labor law is such that no minor can work all night, which would include staying at the fire house. In fact, all juniors must leave the firehouse by 1030 or 1100 on a school night, and midnight on the weekends. Juniors are restricted form responding to any call whatsoever, during times they are not allowed to legally work. I could be off a little on my times there, but there is no legal overnight stays in pennsylvania.
    That's close, but you are a bit off. A 16 or 17 year-old junior in PA cannot participate in fire department activities after midnight and before 6 am on an night preceding a school day or after 1 am during the school year on a night not preceding a school day (Fri, Sat, night before Holiday). However, during summer vacation there are no time restrictions on 16 and 17 year-olds anymore, so a junior could sleep in during the summer break, but only during the summer break. This is a fairly recent rule change (2005 or 2006), so it won't show up in many stations' older documentation.

Quote Originally Posted by CBS72989
    Here in Pennsyltucky...or at least at my station...16 and 17 year old juniors can sleep in and run calls, as long as we have the duty officer's permission...
    Here in Pennsyltucky, your duty officers and your fire company are breaking the law and they need to stop. Right now.
    Last edited by bobsnyder; 11-28-2006 at 02:53 PM.

Forum Member

My old post, you had to have 1 year in the post. Accumulated a set number of ride hours. Recieved permission from the Chief, BC, and OIC.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey jon do you work in san fran. at Station 17?
    www.wildlandfire.com

All volunteer, so if you wanna sleep at the station no problem. Only problem is there is no bunkroom, so your either on the couch, chair or love seat. (the chair is comfy, lol )
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

Well seeing how I live in a fire house, I stay here every night. Kinda don't have a choice whether I wanna spend the night or not... Unless I go home (200 miles away) and sleep in my own bed, but that makes for a hell of a commute for work and school!

Oh my god, they DO have internet in maine!!!
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rawbff15
    Hey jon do you work in san fran. at Station 17?

Negative, I am New Hampshire

Thread Information