+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... Last
    Forum Member

Default How is it going with the Hartford testing?

Just wondering what was going on with everyone that took the Hartford test? Did they have the written yet, are they looking to hire alot of firefighters? Good luck to anyone that did take the test.

Forum Member

Rumor has it that they are going to put 70 on.
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

MembersZone Subscriber

uhh hartford had a test? i guess i missed that one.

MembersZone Subscriber

Written test was last week of October, results should be out soon, we are currently down 60-70 with more retirements expected over the next year, this will all result in a lot of people being hired off this list. This should be one of the best lists to be on in recent years, probably 100 or more should be hired from this list

Forum Member

how big of a department is hartford?

Forum Member

http://www.hartford.gov/fire/

They have a decent amount of equipment. I believe their rescue truck (tac 1) was listed as one of the busiest rescue companies in the country a few years back not sure about now.

Forum Member

thanks for the link, just curious on how big they are since they planned to hire so many, i had an idea but the website made it much more clear

Forum Member

Steeda83:
    Hartford is not that big. It's smaller than Providence but it's a depressed city outside of the central "business" district. It's one of those citys that everyone works there but no one lives there. It's sometimes called the new Detroit. I'm not sure how many square miles it is but it's not much. The city gets a boat load of fire for being so small. Nationally they are one of the busiest depts if you look at runs per company. They have the busiest rescue in the country beating out FDNY. The joke in my dept is that once you cross Prospect Avenue the oxygen level drops and that's why we don't get the fires Hartford does. I don't have the numbers but their run survey is impressive. We also joke that their first alarm assignment is more than we have on duty. We only run five companies plus a battalion chief.

Forum Member

Default Hartford

It is 18 sq miles w/10 engines, 5 ladders, 1 tac unit. I think they run 4 on all maybe 5 on the tac

MembersZone Subscriber

I just recieved my letter today stating I passed the written and have the oral on the 11th. Any words of advice? What's the deal with the agility? Are they using the CPAT or do they even have an agillity? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

The rumor I heard is that they ditched the CPAT to get more types of people to pass. Now I Geuss it's just a 2 mile run. I know in past years the accademy was the agility.

MembersZone Subscriber

MyCareer, there are 11 engines not 10, minimum staffing 4 per company (17 companies) plus 2 district (deputy) chiefs each with an aide, minimum shift strength 72. We run about 22,000 incidents per year with engine company responses ranging from 1200 (slowest) to 3600+ for the busiest, trucks range in the 2000 range with the tac doing 5000+. Sometimes the tac runs with 5 as well as some trucks. The only fact regarding CPAT is there is nothing official as to what the agility will be only that the CPAT was used on the last test.

Forum Member

I heard the rumor that Hartford will be testing again?? Not enough applicants the first round? Or somthing, anyone hear the same?

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey anyone know when and why Hartford is making their guys leave their volunteer departments? Or is this just a rumor.

Forum Member

jfav81,
    Are you kidding? Do a search on these forums and you will see.

MembersZone Subscriber

KeithA8- I have read alot of your posts. You bring too much negativity to these forums. I'm a pro-union guy, but i dont nearly take it as far as you do. You say you have no problems with voluteering and volunteers in other departments, but you are quick to jump down the throats of those who dont have all the facts or are misinformed about the precious IAFF. Also, the whole union/volunteer thing is totally about greed. A firefighter is a firefighter day in and day out. No matter which way you cut it. What happened to the "Brotherhood"? Is that reserved for just the union, I dont think so. I also wouldn't brag that you are part of W.Hartford and talk all this union mumbo-jumbo, b/c last time i checked the town i used to volunteer in provided mutal aid quite a few times to you guys in the previous year or so, even going to work at one of the fires.
    Last edited by scotts48; 12-05-2006 at 09:45 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Good luck to all taking the Hartford test.

Forum Member

scotts48,
    Negativity? Who's throwing stones here? I totally understand the veiws of volunteers and truely have no problem with them at all. I have many dear friends of mine who volunteer. The issue I have is when an IAFF member chooses to ignore his oath and undermine the locals ability to bargain in good faith.

The precious IAFF? Yes it is precious to me and almost all of its members. Unless you become one, I guess you will not understand the importance of the precious IAFF. The IAFF has done more for the fire service for both career and volunteer members than any other orginization, so I'll say you're welcome. What do you do for a living?

Union/volunteer thing totaly about greed? How so?

Brotherhood? It is a brotherhood - brother. I have absolutely nothing against you or your dept. (Newington?) Or any other dept for that matter.

Brag about West Hartford? Who's braging? I have just stated a few times where I'm from. I have nothing to hide. Has anyone ever slighted you at a mutual aid call? I don't think so. Several times Newington has covered my station and we always thank them for their time. Do they ever call us? NEVER!!! The few jobs I've been to in Newington were border boxs. By the way it's not up to the IAFF who comes in on mutual aid. It's the chiefs discretion.

I think you have me all wrong. You should go back and read all of my posts. Then judge me.

Forum Member

LOL..... here we go again, Cant' we all get along during the holidays.....

Forum Member

Maximfire,
    This guy just doesn't know me. You are a prime example of my dear volunteer friends. Do we have a problem? And we worked in the same dept, I was career and you were volunteer. We both started out as volunteers almost the same year together. I realize my position on the whole thing is a strong one, but if this was his livelyhood he would feel the same way. I hope.

Forum Member

Yeah theres a problem, you got on the job before me ..........lol, but no there was never a problem....

Have good holiday my dear Career friend...

Forum Member

Love you too buddy!

Forum Member

Scotts48,
    Where are you? I'm looking for answers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Oral Exam!!!!

I took the oral exam today and think I did pretty well but that probably means I did terrible!!! Anyone else take it yet? How do you think you did? Is it graded or is it pass/fail? When will the results come out and what's the next step? Any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Forum Member

Default New test

Has anyone herd the rumor that Hartford plans on administering another test? I herd that they did not receive the numbers they needed on the residence only test. Any info would be helpful.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... Last

Thread Information