Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Is this appropriate?

Whats up everyone, well I got my first real interview for a Firefighter 1 position next week and I must say I am excited about it. The problem is that I often hear how "politcal" it is and it is "who you know" type of stuff, as much as I am against hearing that, I am just wondering, is it appropriate to ask the Human Resource department if there is a FAIR chance of me getting hired? Or will that put a gray mark on me already? Just thought I'd give this a ask before I drove 10 hours for the interview. No written assessment or physical. Just interviewed and then if hired onto the drug, medical, so on. Let me know what you guys think.

Forum Member

Default Experience

Quote Originally Posted by mattc05
    I am just wondering, is it appropriate to ask the Human Resource department if there is a FAIR chance of me getting hired? Or will that put a gray mark on me already? Let me know what you guys think.
    Can't see how that would help you. I would be surprised if you got the answer you were looking for. Why don't you just go take the interview for the experience and see what happens.

"Experience is what you get when you don't get your way."

Captain Bob

MembersZone Subscriber

The LAST thing HR is going to tell you is "no sir dream on". Dont cause any waves, just show up and do your thing. And definetly dont ask that question at the interview.

MembersZone Subscriber

No, it is not appropriate to ask that question. In fact, the HR manager will find it insulting as you are questioning his or her integrity.

Control what you can control.

Yes, they may have someone in mind for the position. This "someone" may have been a reserve or volunteer and paid his dues with the department. If this is the case, he DESERVES the position.

I wish I had a dime for every time the "shoe in" failed some part of the testing process.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

As someone who has recently been through the process (currently waiting on the background). I would have to say that the advice given is right on. I was worried about the same things, but I would never say anything like that. Just go in nail your interview get the experience, and as has already been said control what you can control. I knew absolutely no one personally on the department that I applied for, but I had a good interview, steady job record and excellent references. This will not be the case however for every department, or individual. I hope this was encouraging.

Thread Information