Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Medical Screening & Knees/ankles

At the risk of sounding like an idiot...here he go. I am active duty military, and I am possibly working my way into the fire service. During my 5 years, I have had some knee and ankle injuries resulting in on/off pain due to weather and running(3 miles every other day). I am fit as far as cardio (I can romp on the elliptical and stairs), but the shock of running aggrivates my right knee, and sometimes my left ankle. I can work through the pain. It is usually about a 3 out of 10 at it's worst. I have not had surgery yet, however I had one Airforce Doc tell me I needed to get my knee scoped, and I had one civvy doc tell me I didn't. I am dealing with my base's medical department as far as treatment go (like pulling teeth).

This is my question. What does a general medical screening consist of? What is usually a black flag during the screen. I am referring specifically to knees and ankles. Are pops/clicks a black flag? I went through an all-day physical to get in the militay, so I know how detailed they can get. All of my owies are documented in my medical record, so I will probably have them covered by VA benifits when I get out.

Any FFs who are also vets have any info for me?

I am more interested in being employed at a more rural FD, and not necessarily a big city. (if that helps at all).

Thanks for all the help,

Tack

MembersZone Subscriber

Tack,
    First of all thanks for making the world a safer place for all of us. Secondly, enroll in fire science classes online so you have a head start on your career path before you get out of the military.

Now for your question: Believe it or not YOU are the one who can best answer it. Yes, you will be running quite a bit. The fire department academies are very tough academically and physically. You do not want to go into one with a question mark. We fail out 20 – 30% of recruits, many for physical reasons.

If you believe it is going to hamper you (only you know), you should consider getting it scoped. No, a scoped knee will not hamper your efforts of getting hired.

Lastly, once you leave the military you cannot go back and get your knee fixed if it continues to flare up.

Good luck with your decision.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore
    Tack,
    First of all thanks for making the world a safer place for all of us. Secondly, enroll in fire science classes online so you have a head start on your career path before you get out of the military.

Now for your question: Believe it or not YOU are the one who can best answer it. Yes, you will be running quite a bit. The fire department academies are very tough academically and physically. You do not want to go into one with a question mark. We fail out 20 – 30% of recruits, many for physical reasons.

If you believe it is going to hamper you (only you know), you should consider getting it scoped. No, a scoped knee will not hamper your efforts of getting hired.

Lastly, once you leave the military you cannot go back and get your knee fixed if it continues to flare up.

Good luck with your decision.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Thanks a lot Chief!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tackleberry96
    At the risk of sounding like an idiot...here he go. I am active duty military, and I am possibly working my way into the fire service. During my 5 years, I have had some knee and ankle injuries resulting in on/off pain due to weather and running(3 miles every other day). I am fit as far as cardio (I can romp on the elliptical and stairs), but the shock of running aggrivates my right knee, and sometimes my left ankle. I can work through the pain. It is usually about a 3 out of 10 at it's worst. I have not had surgery yet, however I had one Airforce Doc tell me I needed to get my knee scoped, and I had one civvy doc tell me I didn't. I am dealing with my base's medical department as far as treatment go (like pulling teeth).

This is my question. What does a general medical screening consist of? What is usually a black flag during the screen. I am referring specifically to knees and ankles. Are pops/clicks a black flag? I went through an all-day physical to get in the militay, so I know how detailed they can get. All of my owies are documented in my medical record, so I will probably have them covered by VA benifits when I get out.

Any FFs who are also vets have any info for me?

I am more interested in being employed at a more rural FD, and not necessarily a big city. (if that helps at all).

Thanks for all the help,

Tack

tackleberry, While I am not a vet or not in the military, I thought I'd just let you know what was on it when I had my medical screening. I am sure each department is different, but when I had it, you filled out a 5 page medical history questionnaire, eye test, hearing test, blood test, drug test, and different movements to see how your joints work. I am sure it was a lot like your military physical. A guy on my department had a knee surgery, so they let him walk while we all ran. Good luck to you.

Thread Information