Forum Member

Default Interview Questions

Hello, I have an interview in two weeks, and I have a few questions that I hope you all might be able to answer for me. What is the proper answer when asked the question about diversity? I don't care what your gender, race, or nationality is, as long as you can do the job. But I know that is not the right answer. I have also been a full time FF for over four years, I have already left one department due to constant talk of budget cuts and job cutbacks, the only reason that I am applying to this department is that it is my "dream department". Does it look bad that I have already moved on from one FD to another, and now am looking at their department? Just wondering what your thoughts on the matter might be.

MembersZone Subscriber

First of all you cannot live in America and not be surrounded by diversity. Since you are already a firefighter I would bet your department is NOT full of blonde hair, blue eyed firefighters. You most likely have diversity. Share your experiences with the panel.

“I currently work as a firefighter (electrician, school teacher….fill in the blanks). I work along side Hispanics, African Americans, women etc. I have learned that the color of someone’s skin does not make a difference. It’s their character and work ethic that make the person.”

Leaving one fire department for another, particularly with looming personnel cuts, will not count against you especially if you are upgrading departments.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefightrs.com

Forum Member

Default A couple more questions

Thanks for the info BC. I was also wondering if it is acceptable at any time in the interview to ask the following questions, and what the appropriate answers are?

How many other candidates am I up against?

How does the hiring process go from here?

Will I receive a call only if I am hired?

When is an anticipated start date?

Thanks in advance.

MembersZone Subscriber

No, I would not ask any of the above questions in your interview. The information is available when you visit the fire houses prior to your interview. PS, make sure you always visit the stations to learn about the department. Always remember you are being graded from the time you knock on the door.

Thread Information