Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fort Worth Round two, ding ding

i am number 118 on the fort worth list and recieved a call today about a physical agility. just letting people know to be looking for a call. if you are in the low 100's. i asked chief marshal a few questions and he informed me that there will be a second academy and a very strong chance of a thrid. i'm in the runnin for the second even though i want the third so i can finish my bachelors degree which i will recieve in may.

Is anyone out there familiar with fort worths academy. Chief told me that the second academy might begin very late march or early april. the first academy will start jan 22. How do they operated this fast? The first 8 weeks are EMT so i guess after that, the current academy starts fire and the new academy goes to the EMT Part. Someone correct me if i am wrong, i'm really interested in figuring it out.

Forum Member

Talking

YEAHHHH!! I got the call today too. I'm sitting at 122. My cousin's in the first group and this is the speculation on academies: they have a big enough training staff that they can run at least two classes at a time. Probably one would be doing fire while the other would be doing EMS.

From what others were saying I had a strong suspicion I'd get a call before the holidays but I didn't think it's be until December. 12 days to the practice PAT, 26 days to the real thing.

Forum Member

I got my call today and I'm 178. I was so excited I didn't even ask where to go, but I'm thinking the same place as last year - the training tower on henderson street. Is this right?

Forum Member

um... good question. I forgot to ask too. Since we're doing the practice PAT I would think that's the place.

MembersZone Subscriber

yeah where do i go for the pat someone help
    i forgot to ask also i might call back

Forum Member

We are a bunch of idiots!!! I cannot believe we did not ask about that. I am almost positive (99.9%) that it will be at the training center at 1000 calvert street downtown. I will email a friend and find out for sure and get back to yall.

Forum Member

Yes, report to the fire/police training center at 1000 calvert street

MembersZone Subscriber

awesome, thanks a million man, that is a big help. who is doing the practice at 3:30 on the 2nd i'll be there.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by maynerd14
    We are a bunch of idiots!!! I cannot believe we did not ask about that.
    That would suck if Chief M was testing people like that. Candidates that have sense enough to verify the location are in, the morons that don't are out.

Thanks for checking.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by maynerd14
    We are a bunch of idiots!!! I cannot believe we did not ask about that.
    That would suck if Chief M was testing people like that. Candidates that have sense enough to verify the location are in, the morons that don't are out.

Thanks for checking.

I'm doing Sunday the 3rd @ 10:30

MembersZone Subscriber

has anyone heard if the jan 22nd class is set in stone for the first academy. just wondering if it is going to be delayed or not. i'm still crossing my fingers that i can squeek in and not have to drop out of college with my last six hours hanging in over my head.

Forum Member

Just guessing that us guys in the second group don't have to worry about the 1st class too much - none of use have much of a chance of getting in that one since they only need 24. The 2nd one is rumored for end of March and the possible 3rd class will be at least a couple of months after that.

Forum Member

I wonder... If you get hired, presumably for the 2nd class, if you explained the situation to them would they let you wait and start with the 3rd class?

MembersZone Subscriber

i already asked that question. the deal is that because of the civil service laws, once your number is passed you are washed out for that process, they can't allow you to pick and chose what academy. pretty much they say when you are to show up and you say i'll be there or see ya next test. i asked cause i want that third academy. i'm not trying to be negative or make people wait, but i'm really hoping that there is a month or so delay in the process and it is more along the lines of late april to late may before the second academy. i'm at 118 and chief marshall said i was probably in line for the second academy if i make it through the process. i just did the number crunching on the calender. if the first academy actually starts on jan 22 and the second academy is 8 weeks after, then we are looking at possibly march 26 for the 2nd class. oh well all i know to do is go through the process and see what happens. i walk the stage at OSU on may 5th hopefully i can start with fwfd around there, that would be awesome. i guess there is still a chance the second academy could fill before my number.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by trevolp
    i just did the number crunching on the calender. if the first academy actually starts on jan 22 and the second academy is 8 weeks after, then we are looking at possibly march 26 for the 2nd class. oh well all i know to do is go through the process and see what happens. i walk the stage at OSU on may 5th hopefully i can start with fwfd around there, that would be awesome. i guess there is still a chance the second academy could fill before my number.
    My cousin's in the first group and he said Jan 22 is definitely a go for the first class. Where did the 8 weeks come from (between academy starts)? Last week of March sound like what others have been saying. Dress warm for this weekend. Low temp is supposed be mid 20s, high in the 40s, but sunny and clear.

MembersZone Subscriber

i got the eight weeks from the 8 week physical fitness and emt period that is at the beginning of the academy class. i figure that one academy goes through it then the next academy gets rolling. that's why i was guessing 8 weeks.

Forum Member

Anybody heard anything new? Im taking the next one, I wanted to wait to finish my degree, so decided to hold off. But, I was just wondering how its going for yall.

Forum Member

We've got the actualy agility test next weekend. They said they're probably hiring 2 classes of 32 and possibly a third class. They also said they would be hiring this many people for the next several years because the city is growoing so rapidly, so that's good news for all of us!

Forum Member

trevolp, when did you start at OSU? I was there in 03-04 but transfered out to to Tech. All the math and science wasnt my boat, so decided to do PR.

MembersZone Subscriber

trevolp,
    What is the program you are doing at OSU? Is it Fire Protection Engineer? Either way, what do you think of the program? Is there a good job outlook for FPE's after graduation? Does it help with getting a firefighting job? What kind of jobs can you get besides firefighter? I am at another university doing mechanical engineering and am considering transferring to OSU to do FPE. Let me know what you think of the program. You can also email me at aengelke@iastate.edu. Thanks for the help.

Mack

Thread Information