Forum Member

Question Airforce reserve fireman

I wrote in an earlier post about becoming an airforce fireman.My issue is because i live in california the state does not recognize the airforce academy and i wouls have to take it again. I have talked to a lot of people a couple of captins, my family etc. my older brother is a f-15 piolt in the airforce and he talked to a recruiter buddy of his and he suggested that i join the reserve and become a fireman. After my basic training and the airforce academy i could go to one of the academys near me. any suggestions opinions experiences etc. would really be appreciated thanks.

Forum Member

Post Find out about the nearest unit

DLoomis07, I do commend you for thinking about serving even in the reserves. It is a good way for you to get the training and help your country while possibly staying close to your home area.
    I would suggest that you check out what reserve unit is near to where you want to be. It may be an Air Force Reserve unit or it may be the Air National Guard. Big difference when it comes time to sign the papers.
    Reserve units are still under the direct control of the DoD, while National Guard units answer to the Governer of each state, but there is some sort of an arrangement where they can go on active duty and be deployed over seas.
    I know some one who recently retired from the firefighting unit at the near by ANG base. He has deployed over seas, but not very often. If fact, a lot less often than the fighter wing stationed at the base.
    Good luck and stay safe.
    "Your spill is our thrill."

Forum Member

All I can say is look out for incoming...

Quote Originally Posted by mdcook
    DLoomis07, I do commend you for thinking about serving even in the reserves.
    Oh boy, here we go with the old "if you aren't active duty, you ain't ..." statement. I guess I need to remind people that more than 50% of the troops over in the Stan and Iraq right now are Guard and Reserve.

I would suggest that you check out what reserve unit is near to where you want to be. It may be an Air Force Reserve unit or it may be the Air National Guard. Big difference when it comes time to sign the papers.
    Yes, very big difference in that Fire Protection isn't a main mission of the Air Force Reserve. If you want to be a firefighter in the AF, you have two choices: Active or Guard. Reserve isn't even an option, unless you're prior Active fully qualified in your AFSC and you go IMA Reserve.

Reserve units are still under the direct control of the DoD, while National Guard units answer to the Governer of each state, but there is some sort of an arrangement where they can go on active duty and be deployed over seas.
    Nowadays the arrangement is more like this: National Guard personnel function as a second Federal Reserve component with wider capabilities than the all-Federal Reserve components. If the Federal government isn't utilizing National Guard personnel, then the State Governor may deploy them to respond to domestic emergencies within the state, or may send them mutual-aid to another state to assist with a domestic emergency upon request of that state's Governor.
    Anymore, the Guard is pretty much a Federal entity...and Federal needs and missions trump the State's.

I know some one who recently retired from the firefighting unit at the near by ANG base. He has deployed over seas, but not very often. If fact, a lot less often than the fighter wing stationed at the base.
    Good luck and stay safe.
    *LOL* Ironically, the Civil Engineering Squadron that contains the "firefighting unit at the local ANG base" is part of the Fighter Wing stationed there. "One Base, One Wing, One Command."
    ARFF units within the ANG are organized within the Civil Engineering Squadrons of their respective Fighter, Tactical Airlift, Rescue, Refueling, etc Wings.
    Just because the ARFF guys don't deploy as much as the Operations Group, the Fighter Squadrons, Maintenance Squadron, Security Forces Squadron, etc, doesn't mean they aren't part of the same organization.

Forum Member

Angry Leave your attitude at the door

Commend - (verb) to praise
    Now the1141man, what part of that definition do you not understand? Where in the post that I made to I ever disrespect any one for choosing to go reserve or guard?
    If you actually took the time to understand my answer to DLoomis07 and not just rip it apart, you would have noticed I was glad to see that person was at least thinking about serving our country.
    I am quite aware how many Guard and reserve units are being deployed. Even where I live there have been units and people sent overseas, so I am not ignorant as to how much our "citizen soldiers" are contributing.
    As far as the arrangement between the DoD and the States for control of the Guard units, that's politics as far as I am concerned.
    As far as your "LOL", since my source retired as a Chief Master Sergeant, I would think he would know what he is talking about. I asked him the last time the fighters were deployed why he didn't have to go also and he told me that the base where they were going had it's own ARFF unit and didn't need them.
    So the1141man, check your attitude at the door.
    DLoomis07, I still wish you the best and despite others comments, I do hope that you choose to serve in what ever capacity.
    "Your spill is our thrill."

Forum Member

md--on second thought, you're right.

I worked a couple years for a retired Navy Captain who flew CSAR helos in Nam, I guess now I'm qualified to hand out advice and information on Naval Aviation and CSAR. Cool.

I hope my point is equally obvious as my sarcasm.
    Last edited by the1141man; 11-25-2006 at 10:31 AM.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DLoomis07
    I wrote in an earlier post about becoming an airforce fireman.My issue is because i live in california the state does not recognize the airforce academy and i wouls have to take it again. I have talked to a lot of people a couple of captins, my family etc. my older brother is a f-15 piolt in the airforce and he talked to a recruiter buddy of his and he suggested that i join the reserve and become a fireman. After my basic training and the airforce academy i could go to one of the academys near me. any suggestions opinions experiences etc. would really be appreciated thanks.
    ...I am almost at the end of my enlistment and am strongly considering moving over to california firefighting (possibly CDF) rather than stay in Air Force Fire Protection. Point is, I am going to have to start over again, even after recieving all of the certifications that i have through IFSAC. I would say going over to the reserves would be a good choice, but I am not too sure how many firefighter they are accepting. I know active duty is cutting quite a few FF positions. USAFE is losing 69 positions within the next year. It is going to be a pain in our manning, but mission comes first.

Thread Information