Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Need info on a new/used rig

This is my first post on this website, so please be gentle to the new guy. This is a long first post ...

I work for a private industry company that has a pretty top-notch volunteer Emergency Response Team. We do not touch fires, but everything else is in our playing field. We respond to fire alarms on campus, check the fire panels and take a walk through of our buildings. If we need fire, they come and do their thing.

Our HazMat rig is only a couple of years old, and is pretty state of the art. However, our Search & Rescue truck is older than dirt and only being held together by its paint job. So the search is on to buy a new rig.

I have looked online for hours now at websites, but I would like to hear from others what they like. Here are our needs,
    4 door, to carry a minimum of 4 people.
    4x4,
    Pick up chassis, i.e., Ford 550/GMC/Chevy chassis.
    Could be either a walk around or a walk in, but I think with the chassis we need a walk around.
    Need the appropriate boxes on the side to carry assorted gear.
    D hooks to tire ropes from.
    Exterior telescoping scene lighting.
    Small generator.
    Small compressor.
    Light bars/traffic sticks
    Communication gear in the cab
    Serve as a mobile command post.

The trucks primary purpose will be a first responder vehicle. It will respond to all chemical spills, medical calls and fire alarms. The truck will be called our Search and Rescue rig. Chemical spill needs will be primary response to isolate and deny entry. Medical calls, it will need to carry a bag, AED and backboard. Fire, 4 sets of turnouts, and 4 Scott SCBA's with 4 extra bottles.

The rest of the truck will carry basic search and rescue gear. Some tools, some basic simple cribbing, air pads, ladders, rope bags and the associated equipment.

This is not meant to be a Heavy Duty Rescue rig as I have tool caches onsite, and ways to transport it to the site.

The questions;
    1. Where should I be looking for something like this, new or used?
    2. Should I be looking for other things to be included on the truck?
    3. What works and what doesn't work on trucks like this?
    4. Should I widen or narrow my needs/search criteria?
    5. We are looking at spending no more than 70K on this rig, doable?

Thanks!
    Anthony Northrup

MembersZone Subscriber

You may have a helluva time finding something new, as the chassis you describe will set you back at least half of that $70K. I assume you're looking at something like this? You might be able to find an older heavy or light rescue in that price range, but I doubt you'll find a new one. Maybe you can prove me wrong!

MembersZone Subscriber

We do not mind buying a used model. I understand we are asking a lot for not much money.

Are there any good places to check for good used apparatus?

Thanks!
    Anthony

MembersZone Subscriber

We just completed a new QRS/rope rescue rig, etc. '07 F-450 super crew, 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel, 8' Knapheide utility body. It ended up costing us about 80K, but we've got all LED lighting and a electronic Q. Don't know if something like this would work for you, but you could concievable get closer to 70 with some modificatinos in the spec. The pole lights are fun off 12V and are much brighter than I had anticipated. You could get a unit with a top on it like this and have more storage, but the commercial tops are not that great looking.

http://wrfd4.myphotoalbum.com/view_a...umName=album14

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by gdsqdcr
    We do not mind buying a used model. I understand we are asking a lot for not much money.

Are there any good places to check for good used apparatus?

Thanks!
    Anthony
    Click on the underlined "this" in my first post. It links to a site that might be something you're looking for. You can also find various trucks with utility beds, and even fire trucks, at ebay motors, Truck Paper, or Big Truck Trader Online.

If you're looking for a rescue body in particular, just do a search for "Used fire apparatus" or "used fire trucks" and you'll get a slew of resources.

By the way, the underlined places above are also links, just give them a click.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Brindlee Mountain Fire Apparatus, FireTec, and CustomTec are all reputable places to shop for used fire apparatus...

Forum Member

Anthony, Here is a 2001 Ford Super Duty with a Squad/Light Rescue box:

http://www.firelineequipment.com/pag...ex.php?pID=146

Forum Member

Default Walk-In

I like the idea of utility van body (omaha, reading, etc.). It gives more space inside than a staright utility body, which isnt especially tall. I am assuming that you have no height issues though...

Anyway, look here http://www.readingbody.com/prod-enclosed.html

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for all the sites that you have offered to me. Several of them I did not know about. They have 'new' listings for me to look at.

Catch22, I have looked at the 2000 Chevy that you pointed out. That is something like what we are looking for.

RoadDogAK, nice new rig. Congrats. We want the ability to store 4 SCBA's on the truck and I did not see that option there. However, who built your truck as I would like to speak with them and see what they can do for us.

Thanks again!
    Anthony

MembersZone Subscriber

We worked very hands on with one of our local fire apparatus service techs. We did a lot of the leg work and got the chassis and body ourselves. After getting the body line-X'ed, we then turned it over to him for all of the lights and sirens, etc. He's about 45 minutes away, so we were always going up and tweaking different things. We're in NW PA, and if you'd want the guys name, I'll be happy to give it to you. Also, FYI, HO Bostrom makes an SCBA seat for the Ford Superduty Crew cab, one for the officer and 3 in the back. Let me know if you need anything else.

We have two twin units like what you're looking for. Truth be told, if you were looking in a year or two, I'll bet we have one of ours for sale.

Essentially, we looked to downsize but in reality we should have never done so. This rig for OUR needs is too small, and with all of the extrication equipment, cribbing, etc. - we need a larger unit. The other unit is fine, as it runs much like a ladder tender/RIT squad, and is fine for that purpose.

Especially since you're on site at your facility, I don't think you'd be asking too much from an F-550 style rig.

See the info from the builder of our rig at:

Delivery Info

I sure would like to move up our plans to replace this rig. How bad do you want something like this?
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

You can find an 04 or 05 F550 with low miles and a utility body for in the ball park of 40,000$. A local metal fab shop could add in tie-off points, etc for you. With the utility body, you could have one of the slide out trays where the bed normally would be and use that for mounting some of your equipment. Even two smaller "half width" trays would be do-able, and would probably work out better...

Since it's only going to be used "on site" by the sounds, if you budget 2500$ or so for warning lights / siren etc you'll be all set. You can get the "Whelen Edge" strobe light bars for 500$ fully loaded with takedowns, alley lights, traffic advisors, LOTS of strobes, etc.

Instead of the small telescoping lights mounted on the rig, what about one of the smaller light towers that roates / extends and can have the lights go different directions. I'm not familiar with individual brands/models, but I know they're out there. Some aren't that expensive either.

For a generator / compressor.. Must they be truck mounted or are portable ones okay? Could a "portable" generator and "portable" compressor work for such an application? You'd be able to leave it on the truck when you're close to it, and bring it with you if you need to go farther distances. If you go this route, in house you could add a few junction boxes / cord reels yourself and set them up so "normally" when the generator is on the truck they have power. You could mount these to bumper on the back, top of the utility body, whatever.

Have you considered buying a used medium duty ambulance? Sounds like it would fit your needs quite well, especially with the crew compartment in the rear, and the space for communications gear (old patient work area). You'd have more then enough room for EMS supplies, could mount the SCBA where the bench seat is, and you could very easily have a PTO / hydraulic generator outfitted on pretty much any model...
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Edit feature isn't working...

I forgot to tell you - There's a nice medium duty chassis ambulance up here for sale for $10000... It was used as a mobile intensive care unit, and it has lots of provisions for power, lots of room, etc. I can get you more details if you'd like.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue
    You can find an 04 or 05 F550 with low miles and a utility body for in the ball park of 40,000$. A local metal fab shop could add in tie-off points, etc for you. With the utility body, you could have one of the slide out trays where the bed normally would be and use that for mounting some of your equipment. Even two smaller "half width" trays would be do-able, and would probably work out better...

Since it's only going to be used "on site" by the sounds, if you budget 2500$ or so for warning lights / siren etc you'll be all set. You can get the "Whelen Edge" strobe light bars for 500$ fully loaded with takedowns, alley lights, traffic advisors, LOTS of strobes, etc.

Instead of the small telescoping lights mounted on the rig, what about one of the smaller light towers that roates / extends and can have the lights go different directions. I'm not familiar with individual brands/models, but I know they're out there. Some aren't that expensive either.

For a generator / compressor.. Must they be truck mounted or are portable ones okay? Could a "portable" generator and "portable" compressor work for such an application? You'd be able to leave it on the truck when you're close to it, and bring it with you if you need to go farther distances. If you go this route, in house you could add a few junction boxes / cord reels yourself and set them up so "normally" when the generator is on the truck they have power. You could mount these to bumper on the back, top of the utility body, whatever.
    This makes me think, if you are dong this for a industry, you've probably got access to guys with various trade skills (electricians and such). You could probably do just as res343cue talks about and get a four-door F-450, C/K 4500 or bigger chassis with a utility bed, then do a lot of the work yourself. Get the LEDs (I'd recommend them over strobes), lightbar, siren, etc and wire then in yourself and make your own little switch box in the cab. Mount a generator and compressor (do they make a combo unit? It wouldn't surprise me if they did), some tool brackets, air-pack brackets, etc. You could even cut your own holes (assuming you've got welders) for wheel well SCBA bottle compartments and put those in yourself. It's not really that hard, we retrofitted one of our engines a while back.

It'd be a lot cheaper, I'm sure. The industry might even let the guys do it on the clock since it's for their response? Might even have some of the materials on site.

MembersZone Subscriber

More and more information. Thanks!

NPFD801 your truck really makes me think. How much was it new? We are in the market to buy first quarter of next year.

As for doing some of the fab work at our place. Already looking into that. Part of my research is seeing what I like, and then showing these pictures to the facilities guys and having them tell me if they can do it. I will gladly pay a company to put the lights and radio communication gear in it.

I would prefer to have the generator/compressor mounted in the truck, but with our limited price range, we are considering every option.

I am really enjoying this website.

Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by gdsqdcr
    More and more information. Thanks!

NPFD801 your truck really makes me think. How much was it new? We are in the market to buy first quarter of next year.

Anthony
    The out the door price tag wasn't cheap. I wasn't a part of the committee that wrote the specs on these two rigs, but I want to say the first rig was in the upper $130's, but there was a lot of loose equipment in that price. I believe some additional extrication equipment (rams), a new simo pump, etc. were put into the purchase so I apologize that I can't give you a better idea on price.

I do know that if one wanted a program mini rescue from the brand that I sell for (and it isn't important who, I'm sure others can do it too) - and didn't really have any options, you weren't far from $70K with an '06 chassis. Obviously, with the new emissions and such, it'll be higher.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Thread Information