Forum Member

Default Anyone know about Tennessee Reciprocity?

I am currently a firefighter in Mississippi. I have Spoken with Terry Woody about this but still dont fully understand the procedure. Can anyone give me a little information on this?

MembersZone Subscriber

Some of your questions might be answered here.

Reciprocity is new to Tennessee as the state FF program has only recently been IFSAC accredited. My understanding is that during the State's transition process any firefighter with IFSAC accreditation can have his or her certifications "recognized" by the Tennessee Commission on Firefighting. In other words, you don't get actual Tennessee certification, but you don't have to redo it, either. Only certain certifications can be recognized - FFI, FFII, Instructor I, Officer I from memory, but there may be others. Something like ARFF or Wildland FF would not be granted reciprocity according to my understanding.

Firefighters are still the red-headed stepchild of the state government (as opposed to LEO and EMS), and the Tennessee Commission on Firefighting isn't the most progressive organization, either. Things seem to be improving, though.

I hope some of this was useful. Let me know if you have other questions and I'll do my best to dig up an answer.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

I appreciate the reply that does answer my question. I am wanting to move to he Knoxville sometime in the near future. Thanks again for your reply.

MembersZone Subscriber

One of our Lt's sits on the comission. I will see if he can shed any light on it next time I see him. I think you are correct that the IFSAC will be recognized by the state but I don't believe all of them are recognized as of right now.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WCENG23
    One of our Lt's sits on the comission. I will see if he can shed any light on it next time I see him. I think you are correct that the IFSAC will be recognized by the state but I don't believe all of them are recognized as of right now.
    If it's not too much trouble, see if he can shed some light on when we might see some live burns for certification in West Tennessee. I have several firefighters ready to test, but there are no opportunities this side of the Tennessee River.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

No problem! He is rehabing a knee right now so we don't see him much but I will give him a call.

Forum Member

Default Just moved back to Knoxville

I just moved back to Knoxville from Mooresville, NC (North of Charlotte) I been a firefighter for 2 and 1/2 years there and have class's toward my 1403, my question is will the class's I have taken for FF 1 and 2 transfer from NC to TN?? I am currantly seeking to get on a Vol Fire department and have an Application in at a near City department.

Thread Information