Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fdic Canada?

Lightbulb Fdic Canada?

Being a fire fighter in Canada is great. The only problem I have is that the Schools and training SUCKS. So I was thinking about setting up a Fire fighting school which will specialize in Technical Rescue. Rope, Haz-Mat, Confined Space, Water Rescue, RIT & Survival.. I'd like for it to be like an FDIC which the Americans have. I spend to much money and time going State side to learn when Canada should do the Same. If you want a course in Ontario you need to attend the Ontario Fire College which is ok but lacks hands on training or take a course with a company which could take months to finish. So for all you Canadian Boys and Gals lets come up with something here. I was thinking a 1 week course and you pick the subject etc. Have any ideas let me know..

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink school

I have lots of ideas. I also have 33 yrs. in the fire service. Eleven of those as a Training Officer. If you contact me we will possible take this further. Remember there are many colleges out there doing this.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAFA62
    Being a fire fighter in Canada is great. The only problem I have is that the Schools and training SUCKS. So I was thinking about setting up a Fire fighting school which will specialize in Technical Rescue. Rope, Haz-Mat, Confined Space, Water Rescue, RIT & Survival.. I'd like for it to be like an FDIC which the Americans have. I spend to much money and time going State side to learn when Canada should do the Same. If you want a course in Ontario you need to attend the Ontario Fire College which is ok but lacks hands on training or take a course with a company which could take months to finish. So for all you Canadian Boys and Gals lets come up with something here. I was thinking a 1 week course and you pick the subject etc. Have any ideas let me know..
    Huh?

Things must be rough back there in Ontario. Canada leads the way in a lot of those topics.

RIT and FAST is still a relatively young specialty up here, but out here in BC, we get the best of the best when it comes to Ropes/THARR, SRT, and Confined Space. Not to mention that Fire Etc, and the Alberta Fire School are internationally recognized in many topics.

I think we could always use more options (i.e. competition) to make it cheaper and more frequent, but I think there is definitely good training to be had.

I think the biggest difference between us and the US is the fact that many US states enforce a minimum training standard (i.e. NFPA 1001, or at least minimum hours), which drives the training industry. Also, there are abundant federal grant systems down there to help departments maintain a higher standard.

Until Canada adopts similar standards and financial aid/incentives, you will have a tough time finding widespread interest and support for FDIC scale programs.

But good luck with it.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

There are FDIC's in Canada because we have one on the East Coast which is generally held in Wolfville, NS every year...Very informative and a good time to go kick back and meet guys from all over

heres a link

http://www.fdic-atlantic.ca/
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 11-29-2006 at 08:25 PM.

Cool

Ontario lacks fire fighting training. If you dont get it from your F.D. trying to find a company that teaches a decent course is hard. Your right there is no funding. The OFM has a guideline which we must follow. However most follow the NFPA and so they should. Id just like to see a 1 week event full of courses. Im a career firefighter Im not rich by any means to go to the EAST or West for training. Thanks for the Info I know it will be hard just testing the waters 1st.

Thread Information