Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Stop signs on interior cab doors?

I would appreciate it if someone could help me out with this one. I was under the impression that NFPA 1901 (not sure if 2003 or 2007 edition) mandated reflective material on the interior cab doors, so that when they were open, drivers would see them. I know some departments put "STOP" signs on the inside of the doors, others just striping. I guess my question is, are the "STOP" signs really required or just the reflective striping? If it is a "STOP" sign, are there requirements for size of sign, letters, color, etc.? I can't afford at this time to buy a copy of NFPA 1901, so if anyone has knowledge of this topic, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LtSuperG
    I would appreciate it if someone could help me out with this one. I was under the impression that NFPA 1901 (not sure if 2003 or 2007 edition) mandated reflective material on the interior cab doors, so that when they were open, drivers would see them. I know some departments put "STOP" signs on the inside of the doors, others just striping. I guess my question is, are the "STOP" signs really required or just the reflective striping? If it is a "STOP" sign, are there requirements for size of sign, letters, color, etc.? I can't afford at this time to buy a copy of NFPA 1901, so if anyone has knowledge of this topic, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
    If 1901 called for "STOP" signs on the inside of the doors, then every new rig you see would have them, since pretty much all manufacturers build strictly to NFPA. I happen to know new rigs currently don't have the "STOP" signs as standard equipment, therefore they are not called for in 1901.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not in a place to access 1901 currently to give you the quote, however I know that 1901 only requires reflective material. Can't remember the exact requirement, however I know on our new order a 6" x 16" reflective stripe was compliant.

IACOJ - Proud member.

Default From NFPA 1901

14.1.6 All driving and crew compartment doors shall have at least 96 in.2 (62,000 mm2) of reflective material affixed to the inside of each door.
    No indication about design or patterns.
    Chief Jim Bator
    www.hopewellfire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?
    FTM-PTB

I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine. ~Kurt Vonnegut

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Yes, as the others have stated, the stop signs are not required, but do meet the intention of 1901 as long as they have the minimum square inches.

We use them at work with good success.

Forum Member

We just put those stop sings on our rigs, Nobody stops for them. Just remember all the idiots on the road that are more important than anyone else.

MembersZone Subscriber

We first put stop signs on our jump seat doors because we thought it would look cool and who knows someone may just stop.
    The latest instalment of 1901 mandates reflective material on the inside of the doors, it says nothing about patterns or shapes.
    We first saw the stop signs on some FDNY rigs quite a few years back, while visiting the big apple, that is where we got the idea.

Forum Member

We just have 2 alternating LED lights, nothing super bright or in your face, but just to show that the truck sticks out right there and the door is opened!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks

I want to thank everyone who replied. It's what I pretty much thought but I just wanted to confirm it. Take care and stay safe.

Thread Information