Forum Member

Default who's in charge??

I have a question for some of you that are good with the whole law thing? I saw a story on Firehouse.com about a confrontation between a dept and the New Jersey State Police and it makes me think. In Illinois who has authority at an accident scene? Is it the police or the fire dept when it comes to shutting lanes down. We have always shut lanes down and the pd (whoever it may be) are always willing to help shut it down or do traffic control. I have also heard of other depts having accidents on the interstate telling the state police to shut down the lane and they do it. So I am just curious that if it were to become an issue would the fire dept or cops have the power?
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member

Well ill tell you we have issuses with that with I-55 and I-72 running through our district but here is how we leagly do it. The law states if their is smoke its ours.. Period No questions asked. Now...... the rescue side of that around here we are trained to park the trucks across the lanes to protect us thus stoping traffic.. Some were also taught pull a hoseline and charge it... what are the cops going to do break down our hose. They havent been stupid enough yet to let cars drive over them... With the round browns around here they dont really care for our safety cause they want their dam highway open... Its a shame..

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

We generally believe that as long as we're doing our job, we're in charge. As soon as the fire's out or the patients are in the ambulance and on their way, we'll turn it over to the cops. So far we haven't ended up in cuffs.

I did have a sheriff tell me that his people don't take orders from anybody (meaning me).
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

related story to yours jack. Once upon a time before I was on the FD they had a call for a RV on fire but the guy had no idea where he was the only thing he knew was we were the last town he went through so they paged my fd. when they hit the northern edge of our district they kept on going because to the best of their knowledge no one else had be called when they finally found the fire the began putting it out. Adventually another fd (also out of their district) stated to my uncle that he thought we were a little out of our district (in a less than sincere tone) and my uncle had managed to burn his wrist (before wristlets on gear) and he threw his gloves down and told this lt. that if he didnt shut up his a*s would be the next thing hitting the ground. I always get a little chuckle out of that story.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

MembersZone Subscriber

We shut down the road. We direct traffic. We protect our own. Cops like it because they can start on their reports and stay in where it's warm.
    We have had a good relationship. Wasn't always like that, but I made a couple of calls and what do you know? They come to a scene and ask "what do you need, chief?"
    It helps to know some guys.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jboczek
    We generally believe that as long as we're doing our job, we're in charge. As soon as the fire's out or the patients are in the ambulance and on their way, we'll turn it over to the cops. So far we haven't ended up in cuffs.
    I think Jack sums up my feelings pretty well. Our number one priority is to do what it takes to protect the safety of our firefighters and other emergency responders . We have not had any turf war problems yet with LE but if it came down to my firefighters being safe or me in cuffs, someone would have to come bail me out.

I read about the incident in NJ and my gut feeling is that there was some previous bad blood between the FD and PD or the officer is just a class A *****.

Hey we are all in this game together, it's sad when public safety agencies can't work together!
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

Forum Member

As CR said, we shut it down if we have to. Sometimes it is shut down for you. A long time ago we had problems with the cops, but no more, hell we even had a shift commander bring us out dounuts. I think the key is not to shut it down all the time, try to leave at least 1 lane open. Our sop is to have 1 guy to direct traffic and watch our backs no matter if the numbers are short. As for the letter of the law, Les and Jack are right. Sometimes we stay to help the tow truck and direct traffic till the scene is cleared. Now I don't want to **** anyone off but, the cops are up and down the highway and see a lot of dept's, if you do a good job they know it and if you don't there going to take your scene. Command and control, equipment, and training, they know who can and can't. We still have dept's that roll on these calls with no or very little extraction equipment. So if you are having trouble with LE you may want to look at your dept.

Forum Member

Our cops are good to us too. We always keep at least one lane open (as long as the incident isnt blocking the scene. We have only shut down both lanes twice that i can think of and that was because we were loading ambulances and they were shut down for less than 5 minutes. A lot of time we are on scene until the tow truck(s) arrives and tows the vehicle(s) because we always help to make sure all debris is off the road. I am very thankful we have a good working relationship with both sherriff's dept (bureau and lee counties). when i was in EMT class they told us to take a lane and a half but that was up in dupage county where drivers are crazy.

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Quote Originally Posted by 80FIRE
    Hey we are all in this game together, it's sad when public safety agencies can't work together!
    I'm hoping we can get along better with our new sheriff. At least he'll meet and talk, not like the past one. 3 more days of him and that's it. We've gotten along well with the vast majority of ISP but the sheriff's dept. has given us some issues. I really do hope it gets better.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Thread Information