Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Help - Promo Policy

We are in the process of revising our promotional policy which is very, very outdated. I know there have to be tried & true systems already in place that have not only withstood the test of time, but have been proven (in general, of course) to be fair & objective. I would really appreciate receiving examples from paid departments with a similar set up. We are a municipality of about 30,000, cover 36 sq miles, have 4 stations, and 79 sworn personnel. Our shift level rank structure is as follows: BC, Capt, Lt, FFIII (apparatus engineer), FFII, FFI. FFIII is the very first level of supervision (acting in the absence of a Lt or Capt). If possible, I would love to have sample SOP's, tests, assessments, study lists, practicals, etc. to review. Submissions should be sent to: dtruelove@gainesville.org. Thank you so much for any assistance you may be able to offer!!

Forum Member

Default Promo Policy

I'm a little disappointed that I haven't had any replies. Am I in the wrong forum?

You're not in the wrong forum, but you have to realize that many FD's are under the Civil Service rules for their state.

For example, here in Massachusetts, the Department of Personnel/Human Resources Division is the agency responsible for holding the exam, which is given statewide in November for promotion to Lieutenant and Captain, March for the Chief's ranks for those communities who are under civil service rules. HRD is responible for administering the test, grading the exam and prior work experience and coming out with the list for the communities.

Those communities that are not usually band together and hold their own examination, as an example, the towns of Sudbury, Lincoln, Maynard, Wayland, Weston and Acton get together and have a promotional exam put together by a private company, who is responsible for administration and grading of the exam.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

There are many methods to promote. My FD is 41 career personnel with two stations. We test for Lieutenant, Captain, and Asst. Chief (all union positions).

We use a written exam and oral board each weighted at 50%. The written is based on department SOP's and general fire service information. A reading list would include Norman's tactics book, Brannigan's building construction, IFSTA manuals, Fire Chief's Handbook, etc. Oral board conducted by three officers of a higher rank from outside the department. Typical oral board questions involving tactics and leadership scenarios.

We contract with a private testing company to write and manage the exams. Outside of supplying the reading list to the testing company, the Fire Chief's office and the town's Human Resources Department do not have any say in the testing process. Members who meet contractual requirements for promotion are eligible for exams.

We make promotions by order of ranking on exams. We do not add seniority, merit, or other points to the scores.

It may not be the best system but it works. Your mileage may differ.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

Thank you both for responding. I understand better now. Actually, knowing that you contract with a private company for testing helps a lot. Are your state's policies available via web? I found one for New Jersey on the web that looks very impressive. Not sure how personnel in that state feel about the way it works, but it's much more detailed and thorough than what we've worked under and looks to be something we could learn from.

We use a battle royale method.

Quote Originally Posted by dtruelove
    Thank you both for responding. I understand better now. Actually, knowing that you contract with a private company for testing helps a lot. Are your state's policies available via web? I found one for New Jersey on the web that looks very impressive. Not sure how personnel in that state feel about the way it works, but it's much more detailed and thorough than what we've worked under and looks to be something we could learn from.
    Ask and ye shall recieve...

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=hrdhomep...d=Ehrd&L0=Home
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

This is great! Thank you so much!

Thread Information